Please compare Bafang Ultra vs Bafang BBSHD, especially reliability.

I see that there is a MD-750 ebike that shows the Bafang G510 750W motor. There is the same bike called the MD-1000 which also shows the Bafang G510 motor but claims it is 1000 watts.
Question: is the difference in the controller/programming or is there a difference physically with the 750W vs. the 1000W Bafang G510?
Programming....

Trying to keep it legal (750w max) by setting the amount of amperage lower than what it could be....

No. I didn’t imply that, BTN Enotau has awful support. Look to someone like Biktrix if you want a Bafang mid drive bike. I’ve been working with another fellow here who is having nightmares dealing with Enorau.
Funny old post. Biktrix are BTN bike’s.

Thanks for the feedback, Thomas. It sounds like you think it’s a good idea to save some money and get a bike (I’m looking at a Eunorau) with the BBSD instead of forking over a few hundred dollars more for a similar bike (I’m looking at BPMImports.com) with the Ultra — is that right?
I would NOT recommend buying anything from BPM they do NOT back up the warranty or support help if something is wrong woith your bike .

They do NOT make the bikes they just REBRAND them with there logo so if something goes wrong DO NOT EXPECT any SUPPORT of any kind.

I know this for a fact when I purchased a bike from them and it was missing parts and a few things went bad within a month ( motor Ultra freewheel went bad and could NOT pedal anymore and locked to motor up) and they told me I had to contact the manufacture of the bike they do NOT have parts

There are no issues with the plastic gear in BBSHD motors. Period. It’s my worst selling replacement part. Metal gears were developed for the ultra version and those that wanted to crank up the power beyond Bafang specifications. Typically the BBSHD is sold to DIY builders with a very few eBike sellers using the BBSHD.
I have 2300 miles on my BBSHD that I installed one year ago. My riding buddy also installed a BBS02 at the same time and he has about the same miles. We ride very, very hard. I always imagined/feared my plastic gear was on the verge of being melted or chewed up, and was dreading the day it would fail me. Last week I disassembled my motor for annual service and lubrication. The nylon gear is flawless.

I really like how silent the BBSHD and BBS02 run pretty much silently with the nylon gear. My friend took delivery of a Sonders Rockstar with metal gear(s). I find it irritating because I can now hear his motor/gears working, especially when he accelerates. Whereas before, we ran silently and passers by could not hear our motors working, now it is obvious he is on a motorized bike.

Any way, no issues with the nylon gear that I can see.

Last edited:
Any way, no issues with the nylon gear that I can see.
I bought backup gears for my first bbs01’s in 2014. And for all 3 BBSHD’s. Found buyers that read that same silly article that Karl, fat bike blog, posted and started this entire silly story. We repaired few “Ludicrous “ controller motors. But they are way outside BBSHD SPECIFICATIONS.

REBRAND them with there logo
Not necessarily bad. BTN, Enourau, has several sellers with their bikes rebranded. There’s been some improvements in support. Frankly I’d rather research and build a BBSHD or bbso2 kit bike.

Yeah I am one of those guys who bought spare gears just in case and they are still sitting in their little greased bags in my garage. I think I have one steel and two peeks. 6 motors across five bikes and zero issues. Even on ones that ride at continuous hi output commuting on the street in temperatures so high I put heat sinks on the outside of the motors to bring the casing temps down below 165 degrees.

My posting ID picture is a DK Bicycle with the BBSHD on it .
The bike is about 8 years old now and I installedf the BBSHD about 4 years ago and I still have the original nylon gear in it and over 5000 miles on it . I have went through rear gears and decided to switch to the Sturmey Archer SX-RK3 because i was wearing out rear cassettes every 3 months or so I ride about 50-70 miles a day and I still love it .

Its setup with Dual battery's now and I can go for much longer distances right around 160 miles I tested once and when got home had 8% battery left. Here are the specs of the whole bike.

Sturmey-Archer Internal Gear Hub 3-Speed Cogs 18t x 1/8" 3-Spline (Dished Stock)
Sturmey-Archer SLS30 R3T 3spd Thumb Shifter 45263-105179
Sturmey-Archer SX-RK3 170mm Disc Hub

DK-Bicycle

BBSHD--30 tooth narrow/wide and 24 tooth on Sturmey Archer SX-RK3

3 Speed 31mph no load 28mph with me riding

Battery samsung 48V 17ah & yose power 48V 12.5ah ( dual battery setup using Watt wagon Micro Chip)

TekTro HD-500 Hose Length Front: 900 mm / Rear: 1500 mm

Sunlite Seatpost Shim 27.2 Id 30.2 Od Alloy
EVO Cushy Suspension seatpost Travel: 40mm 27.2mm

Easy Seat II

I installedf the BBSHD about 4 years ago
well done!

if I were you i’d grab a new rotor. If you’re motor is that old it has a weak spot. Bafang beefed up the shaft in subsequent HD’s but didn’t make it backwards compatible. California eBike created a solution and gas published it and sells plug and play backwards compatible replacements. When I cleaned up my support files I pulled a dumbshit move and nuked 5 years of response database. I’m not bright enough to have it memorised... mea culpa. Google California ebike BBSHD rotor.

i hunt and peck on an iPad. Spell checking off. sorry. Maybe...

I have never had any problems with the BBSHD on the DK bike only had it apart once to replace the controller because it was bad from the begining and the people I bought the kit from ( empowered cycles ) replaced it under warranty right away had the replacement in a couple days. While I had it apart they told me to do a re grease on the main drive gears with the good grease since i had it apart and like i said before Nver had any problems at all with the drive so i see no reason to change it until it craps out on me .

I just glad its lasted this long I really did not expect it to last this long so now I only use the DK bike for street riding around the city and long island.

I have a Framed wolftrax 3.0 I just built with the BBSHD but the hall sensors are giving me problem when its rains or high humidity so i have to take it apart and re solider the hall sensor board this is what i have read is the problem with mine.

But since i will have this BBSHD off the Framed bike I am thinking about trying the CYC stealth X1 on the bike .

Do you know any one that has this cyc kit and if so how good is it all i have heard its much noisier than the bafang motors

like i said before Nver had any problems at all with the drive so i see no reason to change it until it craps out on me .
Lucky you. Matt told you to lubricate because more than a few shipped with inadequate grease.

Funny how single motor owners now more than the reseller supporting the sale. Another reason I smile every morning knowing I won’t get some idjet know it all arguing with support responses. 6 years of phone and email CS wore me out. Much more fun here. No $$ but no holding my tongue either.

Rare.
Are you getting an error code? 08?
The first error was 12h ( MOTOR LESS than 1 MONTH OLD ) Defective out of box

When i first got the motor it kept on giving me the error 12h code which had to do with brake switch communicating with the controller.
Every time I tried to use the brakes it would disable the motor and display error 12h i would have to reboot the system to work again.

They also told me that brake cut offs aren't needed and only use by in experienced riders.

I have all the EMAILS to prove what I say if you question this ???

LUNA was supplied with video and picture proof that the controller was defective and the first thing they told me I must have connected the connectors backwards from the brake lever to the display (WOW even I know that's impossible)
They just like to blame the customer for there defects in support of warranty

PS::: They did NOT warranty the motor or controller so I called Paypal to get partial refund but they could not it was to log to get money back so PayPal felt bad for me and they bought me a new controller I ordered from golden motor.

Everything worked perfectly fine until recently when it started raining alot is when I started to get this error 08 code and did a little looking around and found a few other on YT with the same issue and the one video this guy posted showed how to fix the problem

yes the error 08 this motor came from a scumbag company I wont mention (LUNA) and they told me I installed the motor wrong.

I ALSO TOOK A GRIND WHEEL (DREMEL) TO THE SIDE OF MOTOR AND GROWNED THE NAME OFF OF IT

I got this motor from them for the framed bike because Matt was out of the 120mm

OH so you know Matt over there I got my kit from him when he just first started the company and I bought all the necessary tools and sockets from him as well

here are all 3 of my bikes 2 BBSHD 1 Ultra G510

Attachments

• 20210929_134751.jpg
    20210929_134751.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20210929_134825.jpg
    20210929_134825.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Ultra 20 (45).jpg
    Ultra 20 (45).jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210829_152323_HDR.jpg