Platform Bike Rack for Bike with Fenders

We just got a second eBike so now we need to be able to transport them. We have a 2019 Ford Ranger with a 2 inch receiver so a hitch mount seems to be the way to go. I worry about a rack that can handle to two different styles. One bike is a Trek Verve 3+ which has a step through frame. The other is a Giant Explore E+ which has a more conventional diamond frame with a top bar that could easily be gripped by an adjustable holder. Both bikes have fenders and a rear rack. What might you folks recommend. I've seen some nice Kuat and Thule racks but seems like they can get to $700 pretty quick. I know that when carrying probably $6K of bikes, a rack is no where to scrimp, but had originally thought I could find a quality rack to do the job in the $500 range but maybe I'm kidding myself. I want it to hold up well into the future and don't want to inflict any unnecessary damage to the bikes.

We just got a second eBike so now we need to be able to transport them. We have a 2019 Ford Ranger with a 2 inch receiver so a hitch mount seems to be the way to go. I worry about a rack that can handle to two different styles. One bike is a Trek Verve 3+ which has a step through frame. The other is a Giant Explore E+ which has a more conventional diamond frame with a top bar that could easily be gripped by an adjustable holder. Both bikes have fenders and a rear rack. What might you folks recommend. I've seen some nice Kuat and Thule racks but seems like they can get to $700 pretty quick. I know that when carrying probably $6K of bikes, a rack is no where to scrimp, but had originally thought I could find a quality rack to do the job in the $500 range but maybe I'm kidding myself. I want it to hold up well into the future and don't want to inflict any unnecessary damage to the bikes.
I am waiting for my LBS to get in a Thule Easy Fold for me to try. We have a Trek Allant 7 Ebike and a Trek FX7.5. The Allant is a lowstep frame. The bike store has agreed to let me see how our bikes fit on the Easy Fold. Previously, I purchased a Saris SuperClamp EX 2 from the same bike store which I have only used to haul the new ebike home. I wrote an earlier post on that rack in this thread. The LBS says that if I preferred the Easy Fold I could get a full refund of the money from the Saris. I had been given conflicting information from different bike stores about the Saris. Some say that it would not work for bikes with fenders because of the ratcheting shepherd's hook that clamps on the tire. They said the shepherd's hook could not be attached in the right position close to the top of the front fork. One of our bikes has fenders and one does not. The bikes feel very secure. If I had a second ebike with fenders, I might not be as confident. I asked a customer support person from Saris and he sent me a picture of a bike with fenders with the shepherd's hook only being used on the front wheel not on the rear wheel with the long fender. He was confident the bike would be held securely since it is also attached by a strap to wheel cradles on both the front and back tires. As you see I have some questions about the Saris. There are things I like about the Saris. It is very easy to load the bikes. It does not attach to the frame of the bike. It is also lightweight and costs only $500. On the downside it may extend beyond the side of your vehicle a little farther than some racks because the bikes are offset a little.

I have heard lots of good things about the Thule Easy Fold which is why I asked the LBS if I could try one. I wanted to see how much of a hassle the arms that clamp to the frame are and how my bikes fit on the rack. I've heard sometimes it gets a little tricky getting everything positioned right. I look forward to hearing the outcome of your search for the right rack.

I have the Thule Easy Fold and both our bikes are Trek low steps - no problem.
I also do not see why it would be a problem if one of the bikes has a conventional cross bar - the clamp arms are very adaptable.

Attachments

• AD2E9C11-A791-4A10-B5A7-ABD9639D5689.jpeg
    AD2E9C11-A791-4A10-B5A7-ABD9639D5689.jpeg
    714.4 KB · Views: 318
Court’s take on easy fold

I have loaded my large sized Trek Allant 9.9 and a Riese & Muller Mountain which is larger and heavier on the Thule Easyfold xt2 with no problems or contact.

Think I'm down to the Thule Easyfold Xt2 vs. the Kuat NV with the "Trail Doc". The thought of having a spot where I could clamp a bike to do some maintenance was a drawing factor for me, but the ease of use for the Easyfold really looks impressive and I like the folding ramp. Don't know that I would use it all the time, but it seams like a very nice feature that could have future potential and I would hope either of these $750+ racks would be a 7 year or longer investment. Didn't like the thought of the pricing, but when you realize you're caring Thousands of dollars hanging on the back of your vehicle - maybe this quality makes a lot of sense. Thoughts?

Think I'm down to the Thule Easyfold Xt2 vs. the Kuat NV with the "Trail Doc". The thought of having a spot where I could clamp a bike to do some maintenance was a drawing factor for me, but the ease of use for the Easyfold really looks impressive and I like the folding ramp. Don't know that I would use it all the time, but it seams like a very nice feature that could have future potential and I would hope either of these $750+ racks would be a 7 year or longer investment. Didn't like the thought of the pricing, but when you realize you're caring Thousands of dollars hanging on the back of your vehicle - maybe this quality makes a lot of sense. Thoughts?
I was intrigued by the service/work arm on the Kuat as well. It also folds up closer to the rear cargo door on the car making it less necessary to remove it from the vehicle between uses. However, I made the final call in favor of the Thule Easyfold based on 2 factors I deemed more important:

1. being able to clamp securely to the frame rather than compromise on the stated clamp down position of the hooks that secure the bike to the ramp. For the best and most secure hold down Kuat recommends the hold down hook be placed just in front of the spot where the tire goes through the fork. I wanted to avoid wrecking fenders or having to stuff rags between the tire and fenders to avoid that, or worse, perhaps hitting a pothole and watching $15,000 worth of bike go flying off the rack. Plus, it just seemed like chewing gum and bailing wire solution IMO.
  2. I was also apprehensive about locking the bike to the rack using easily severed cables that come with the Kuat. The Thule has a more secure locking mechanism that disables the clamp adjustment knob on both the rack to car hardware as well as the bike to rack clamp arms.

How about a 70 pounder like a Riese & Muller Delite or Rad...or a 55 pounder like a Trek Verve 3+, or even a 50 pounder like Giant Explore E+ ?

How about a 70 pounder like a Riese & Muller Delite or Rad...or a 55 pounder like a Trek Verve 3+, or even a 50 pounder like Giant Explore E+ ?
My comment was not related to the bikes sitting on the platforms. As long as you do not exceed the rating, probably not an issue. My question is about the hanger for servicing - just cannot see that it would hold up to a 50+ bike, designed I assume for a regular road bike

My comment was not related to the bikes sitting on the platforms. As long as you do not exceed the rating, probably not an issue. My question is about the hanger for servicing - just cannot see that it would hold up to a 50+ bike, designed I assume for a regular road bike
That is what I was referring to as well. My question was in response to you prior post. Sorry if I failed to make that clear

I have this KAC Overdrive Sports K2 for our two Aventon Levels...solid and nice feature set with 2 locks (one at the hitch, one on the top crossbar arm) and a fold down mechanism for easier access to my hatch and easier bike loading.
5D5719FF-9EBF-4CE8-9F93-1200B8B8BDE6.jpeg

Just to throw out the Hollywood SE2 from etrailer.com. We have two Allant+7 and this rack works very well.
Looks nice, I have a regular frame Trek Allant +7s and I want to also carry a kids bike youth GT stomper 24" I would probably need the adapter for the kids bike which I already have. I currently own a Curt 4 bike hitch carrier that the bikes hang from and I'm not too happy with it. It scuffs my bikes up taking them on and off, it's kind of wobbly and doesn't fit all frame styles.

I definitely want a tray style rack. I like the Thule easy fold but it's double the price of your rack and yours looks very sturdy from what I have seen on youtube.

It’s a good one. It comes with lockable hold down hooks and a cable with matching keys. It is for a 2” hitch. Only negative for me is I have a fairly steep driveway and my self-installed Drawtite hitch hangs a bit low so the rack scrapes but only when it’s on my Rav4. This never happens with my truck of course.

It’s a good one. It comes with lockable hold down hooks and a cable with matching keys. It is for a 2” hitch. Only negative for me is I have a fairly steep driveway and my self-installed Drawtite hitch hangs a bit low so the rack scrapes but only when it’s on my Rav4. This never happens with my truck of course.
Driveway clearance is one reason I got 1up rack. They are very compact and don’t extend much from the hitch. I had had the Kuat NV 2.0 and it extends 14” almost double that of 1up.

Back