Pioneer allroad battery

Tom R

Has anyone priced the replacement battery for either the pioneer allroad or pioneer city? How about a replacement motor? I assume these are the items that will wear out a few years down the road.

I would pay the crazy amount makers want for a $50 charger if I get the battery free!

I would pay the crazy amount makers want for a $50 charger if I get the battery free!

Here's the dilemma. Should I get an optibike R8HD or Toyota Prius C or CPO Chevy Volt...!!!
very tough decision.

Here's the dilemma. Should I get an optibike R8HD or Toyota Prius C or CPO Chevy Volt...!!!
very tough decision.
I would love to ride the R8, thank goodness you don't have to look at it while riding it though:eek: kidding....

very tough decision.
You could also get an electric lawn mower, leaf blower, and trimmer??? What's your point?

All I know is people who have high end Optibikes love them (not many used ones for sale). I would test ride one but I am afraid I would like it. Of course I can't see me paying for an St2 either. I have a free phone ap and battery pack which covers most of the St1 to St2 upgrades...

Everyone's value proposition is different. Currently I max out at $2,500. Who knows if I test ride an R11HD? I may buy one. The Stromer test ride did not change my value proposition.

I would love to ride the R8, thank goodness you don't have to look at it while riding it though:eek: kidding....
I agree they are different...Turner's mindset was to pattern a bicycle after motorcycles. He was an accomplished motorcycle racer.

Also these frames are American made!

Last edited:
You could also get an electric lawn mower, leaf blower, and trimmer??? What's your point?

All I know is people who have high end Optibikes love them (not many used ones for sale). I would test ride one but I am afraid I would like it. Of course I can't see me paying for an St2 either. I have a free phone ap and battery pack which covers most of the St1 to St2 upgrades...

Everyone's value proposition is different. Currently I max out at $2,500. Who knows if I test ride an R11HD? I may buy one. The Stromer test ride did not change my value proposition.

I test rode the R8HD last year and I had spoken to Neal couple of times by then. The components seemed top notch. Rohloff, FOX shocks, nice grips, pedals, wheels etc. I really wanted to know what this is all about.
Here is a video from my ride: https://goo.gl/photos/jXSZGtibzUGz93JK8

First of all, the frame design leans towards motorbike. My biggest gripe was the lack of pedal assist!
They had an excellent bike in 2009 and they have carried the same design for over 6 years. That to me, says something. It's not like they are charging you $2K!
Turner's brother has close connections with FOX and it's a no-brainer for them to use those shocks but the electronics seemed really archaic. I mean the cockpit is so old that only Betty White would like it. So much talk about MBB but they never released any info about it. Bosch, BH, Specialized, Stromer they all have shared ample info regarding their drive train but I don't get to read anything about MBB.

Here is a pic from Bosch
bosch-ebike-motor-inside-2.jpg

Tom's question is very relevant. They say Li-ion battery but I'm pretty sure Allroad's battery is not like rest of their bikes. Also, Li-cobalt has several variances in itself. Except the Battery (3 years) and Frame (5 years), their warranty is nothing exceptional for the price (rest all 1 year)

NOISE!! Holy cow.... it's a real nuisance. Check the video link and if you're on a trail with this bike, it will simply attract unnecessary attention. Let them charge $14K but smooth pedal assist, clean cockpit and reduced noise is really what many customers demand. Did I say you can't test ride these bikes! It's hard to find a dealer who has 4 or 5 Optibike's in his shop.

My distaste for Opti comes from these three things:
  • Lack of pedal assist
  • Noise
  • Old design
and of course the price! As I said, they had an excellent bike for the year 2009 but it is not acceptable if they don't adapt to market's demands.

Last edited:
On the topic of Toms question, a complete Pioneer replacement motor would be about $600 I believe, but, they are fully rebuildable so its unlikely that you would need an entire motor, as we can replace, or sell you replacements for whatever parts happen to wear out over time.

Wowzer thanks for the video Ravi. I know these machines rock, but I must say they're as ugly as homemade sin. Also, noisy.
I have an Optibike Pioneer Allroad, and it's as quiet as a church mouse. I know the R8 has buckets more power, but I think Optibike have come a long way. I had heard they're noisy and (hearing the Allroad I bought) I was wondering what folks were talking about.
Now I know.
Allen

Back