Picking up a Trek Allant+ 9.9s Tomorrow

RDSChicago

Region
USA
Excited about this bike. I didn’t plan on buying a bike as expensive as the 9.9s, but was surprised to find my LBS offering a hefty discount on the 2021 model which made it feasible. Would love to hear thoughts about the bike by those who own one. Pros and cons. I’ve read many complaints about the phone falling from the phone mount and the Bosch app/software. Would love to hear how you’ve remedied these issues. Any alternative mount recommendations? Any software alternatives? Thanks.

I’ve never had my iPhone 8 fall from the 9.9S mount. In fact, it’s held very securely. Maybe you saw reports from people who had a defective mount and didn’t realize it.

The app isn’t as useful as something with Ant+, like the Specialized bikes, but it got me by.

I still have the 9.9S, but decided I prefer a lighter weight road ebike, so it’s not getting ridden now, except by friends and family on occasion. I keep threatening to sell it, but it’s nice to have available.

The phone mount for the smartphone hub is an invitation to disaster. Once my phone popped out but was saved by the charging cord. From then on I used an older phone that I could afford to lose. You don't need a cell phone connection for the phone to work. While rayray's comment may be true, it's also a fact that it's easy to put your phone in without it being fully secure, which is what happened in my case.

Eventually, I got tired of the software for cobi.bike, especially after a software update killed sync with Strava - some of the data no longer transferred. Bosch tech support wouldn't even acknowledge the problem. All they said was reinstall! I upgraded to a Nyon, an easy but expensive ($350) move. Very happy with it.

I really enjoy riding my Allant 9.9S...once I got the bugs worked out.

I avoided any issues with the phone by upgrading to the Nyon display before taking delivery. I much prefer a purpose designed device instead of trying to do everything with my phone. It has worked out just as hoped.

I had problems with one of many faulty Shimano Mircro Spline rear hubs. It had to be rebuilt after 300 miles and then failed within another 200 miles. Trek was terrific about lending me a wheel from one of their mountain bikes that fit until the were able to obtain an Onyx hub that had been recommended by their service tech. This was not an uncommon problem when the bike first came out. I presume they have worked things out with Shimano and no longer have this issue.

The other piece that I had problems with was never resolved to my satisfaction. The headlight run ridiculously hot to the touch and consumes at least 10% if not 15& or more of the battery power. There is a sensor in the tail light that is supposed to put the headlight in a flashing daylight mode but it only works with there is direct sunlight, no clouds, and the sun is shining directly on the tail light, which is to say it hardly ever works. Trek replaced both lights once and told me they were working on solution but never came through with one. To their credit they did send a Supernova M99 pro which was specified on their earlier Supercommuter. However it turned out that it would not work on the Allant. The OEM light is a nice bright headlight with a powerful high beam but I never use it because of its extreme power consumption. I use a rechargeable headlight and tail lite, to get the most range out of the battery and avoid the problem.

I have almost 4,000 miles on the bike now and it has been flawless in its operation with the exception of the lighting. I made a few mods to the drive train that really kicked the bike up a couple of notches. I swapped out the derailleur and shifter for the wireless Sram AXS system which is expensive and fantastic. I also swapped out the cassette for the Shimano XTR 11-51 tooth as I live in a very hilly area and wanted the lower gear ratio of the 51 tooth cog. The XTR is expensive as well with its 5 titanium cogs but one can replace the four smallest steel cogs for around $35 which can triple the life of the cassette.

To gain some added compliance front and back, I added a Baramind CIty Suspension handlbar and a Kinekt Suspension seat post. Both did what I had hoped to smooth out the ride.

I also replaced the tires with Schwalbe Hurricane's which have better rolling resistance and are whisper quiet, with great road grip and good traction on trails. I put lightweight Tubolito inner tubes in them. I have had only one flat in them in almost 2,000 miles.

I did outfit the bike with the piggy back range extender battery kit for longer rides or rides in the mountains. I don't use it often but when I do I am sure glad to have it.

It has been an extremely reliable bike with very few problems other than those mentioned above. It is my wife's favorite bike to ride when we ride together. Aside from the light issue the local Trek store and Trek corporate have been excellent to work with. The Allant 9.9S is a great bike and should give you many miles and lots of smiles.

20200810_123629.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up the bike this afternoon. Gave it a quick ride. Question: is the motor fairly noisy or is that just an Ebike for you?

Picked up the bike this afternoon. Gave it a quick ride. Question: is the motor fairly noisy or is that just an Ebike for you?
a new ebike motor can take a bit of breaking in of the internal gearing. They tend to be quieter after the first thousand miles. This is true for many different ebike motors, Bosch included. Sometimes I wonder if the sound of the motor really shifts or we just become accustomed.

a new ebike motor can take a bit of breaking in of the internal gearing. They tend to be quieter after the first thousand miles. This is true for many different ebike motors, Bosch included. Sometimes I wonder if the sound of the motor really shifts or we just become accustomed.
Going from the gen 2 to 4 to me it seemed louder but it may have just been a different sound. But one of my first impressions was it is louder

Excited about this bike. I didn’t plan on buying a bike as expensive as the 9.9s, but was surprised to find my LBS offering a hefty discount on the 2021 model which made it feasible. Would love to hear thoughts about the bike by those who own one. Pros and cons. I’ve read many complaints about the phone falling from the phone mount and the Bosch app/software. Would love to hear how you’ve remedied these issues. Any alternative mount recommendations? Any software alternatives? Thanks.
I bought a Trek Allant 9.9s in October of 2020 and have ridden it around 1500 miles, I also have a Cervelo road bike. I realy like the Trek, I added a 500 watt battery extender so I could compete in a 35 mile road cycling event in Turbo mode the entire time. I have hit speeds of 34 mph downhill, there is a lot of resistance past 28 mph. My pace on normal riding is about 21 mph, I like to ride it fast for a workout. My only problem with the bike is the free wheel hub, it lasts about 200 - 300 miles before making a terrible noise, then has to be replaced and or fixed. My LBS is looking at installing a different brand/type than the factory install.

I really enjoy riding my Allant 9.9S...once I got the bugs worked out.

I avoided any issues with the phone by upgrading to the Nyon display before taking delivery. I much prefer a purpose designed device instead of trying to do everything with my phone. It has worked out just as hoped.

I had problems with one of many faulty Shimano Mircro Spline rear hubs. It had to be rebuilt after 300 miles and then failed within another 200 miles. Trek was terrific about lending me a wheel from one of their mountain bikes that fit until the were able to obtain an Onyx hub that had been recommended by their service tech. This was not an uncommon problem when the bike first came out. I presume they have worked things out with Shimano and no longer have this issue.

The other piece that I had problems with was never resolved to my satisfaction. The headlight run ridiculously hot to the touch and consumes at least 10% if not 15& or more of the battery power. There is a sensor in the tail light that is supposed to put the headlight in a flashing daylight mode but it only works with there is direct sunlight, no clouds, and the sun is shining directly on the tail light, which is to say it hardly ever works. Trek replaced both lights once and told me they were working on solution but never came through with one. To their credit they did send a Supernova M99 pro which was specified on their earlier Supercommuter. However it turned out that it would not work on the Allant. The OEM light is a nice bright headlight with a powerful high beam but I never use it because of its extreme power consumption. I use a rechargeable headlight and tail lite, to get the most range out of the battery and avoid the problem.

I have almost 4,000 miles on the bike now and it has been flawless in its operation with the exception of the lighting. I made a few mods to the drive train that really kicked the bike up a couple of notches. I swapped out the derailleur and shifter for the wireless Sram AXS system which is expensive and fantastic. I also swapped out the cassette for the Shimano XTR 11-51 tooth as I live in a very hilly area and wanted the lower gear ratio of the 51 tooth cog. The XTR is expensive as well with its 5 titanium cogs but one can replace the four smallest steel cogs for around $35 which can triple the life of the cassette.

To gain some added compliance front and back, I added a Baramind CIty Suspension handlbar and a Kinekt Suspension seat post. Both did what I had hoped to smooth out the ride.

I also replaced the tires with Schwalbe Hurricane's which have better rolling resistance and are whisper quiet, with great road grip and good traction on trails. I put lightweight Tubolito inner tubes in them. I have had only one flat in them in almost 2,000 miles.

I did outfit the bike with the piggy back range extender battery kit for longer rides or rides in the mountains. I don't use it often but when I do I am sure glad to have it.

It has been an extremely reliable bike with very few problems other than those mentioned above. It is my wife's favorite bike to ride when we ride together. Aside from the light issue the local Trek store and Trek corporate have been excellent to work with. The Allant 9.9S is a great bike and should give you many miles and lots of smiles.

View attachment 130101
I have had the same noise problems with the free hub. Can you share the parts information with me, part numbers, etc.?

I bought a Trek Allant 9.9s in October of 2020 and have ridden it around 1500 miles, I also have a Cervelo road bike. I realy like the Trek, I added a 500 watt battery extender so I could compete in a 35 mile road cycling event in Turbo mode the entire time. I have hit speeds of 34 mph downhill, there is a lot of resistance past 28 mph. My pace on normal riding is about 21 mph, I like to ride it fast for a workout. My only problem with the bike is the free wheel hub, it lasts about 200 - 300 miles before making a terrible noise, then has to be replaced and or fixed. My LBS is looking at installing a different brand/type than the factory install.
Fast for a workout, in turbo? You've got to be kidding?

Fast for a workout, in turbo? You've got to be kidding?
Normally I ride the trails in our area and my pace is 20-21 mph, I used to ride my Cervelo (Not an e-bike) road bike with a group of semi-pro riders, ther pace was 21 mph, so I am used to it. I do not like going at the slower speeds, but, when I go with certain people I do slow down to 15-16 mph pace to stay with them.

I have had the same noise problems with the free hub. Can you share the parts information with me, part numbers, etc.?
Just have your trek shop call Onyx in Minnesota about supplying a their 'Classic' hub with a Shimano micro-spline driver. They have records of building several speced for the Allant 9.9 (mine included)

Go to the onyx hub site to learn about their silent, instant engagement hub, a very cool, major enhancement to an already terrific bike and drive train

Go to the onyx hub site to learn about their silent, instant engagement hub, a very cool, major enhancement to an already terrific bike and drive train
I just sent the Onyx sales phone number to my LBS to call and get the right Onyx Hub for my Trek e-bike, thank you!

Back