Philly ebike expo

Shoestring

I went to the Philadelphia ebike expo 0n 11/4. Rode a bunch of new ebikes with varying drive systems on the indoor track, lots of fun. They all work well but I like some better then others. For what its worth: I didn't find anything I liked better then my Yamaha/sduro Hiabike. The shimamo 8000 was equally as smooth, the bosch comes on strong when it kicks in, the brose -I can't seem to get much feel out of it , the bafang max was not my favorite. It had an all or nothing personality, came late to the party and stayed on to long.
My favorite ride of the day was a Riese&Muller dual suspension, dual battery, bosch powered hybrid style bike. Full XTR w/Di2 electronic shifting, this was one nice bike! I can't afford one, but it was sure fun to ride. Thanks Mr Chris (Propel Ebikes) for bringing this one along. After talking shop with Mr Nolte, I met none other the Mr Court himself. Made my day, anyhow. I topped it off with lunch across the street from the expo center at the Philadelphia terminal market. A huge fresh pastrami sandwitch stacked high on deli rye, a ladle of coleslaw, a ladle of thousand island dressing, fresh potatoe chips, and unsweetened tea. Dang, life is good on the east coast!

I went to the Philadelphia ebike expo 0n 11/4. Rode a bunch of new ebikes with varying drive systems on the indoor track, lots of fun. They all work well but I like some better then others. For what its worth: I didn't find anything I liked better then my Yamaha/sduro Hiabike. The shimamo 8000 was equally as smooth, the bosch comes on strong when it kicks in, the brose -I can't seem to get much feel out of it , the bafang max was not my favorite. It had an all or nothing personality, came late to the party and stayed on to long.
My favorite ride of the day was a Riese&Muller dual suspension, dual battery, bosch powered hybrid style bike. Full XTR w/Di2 electronic shifting, this was one nice bike! I can't afford one, but it was sure fun to ride. Thanks Mr Chris (Propel Ebikes) for bringing this one along. After talking shop with Mr Nolte, I met none other the Mr Court himself. Made my day, anyhow. I topped it off with lunch across the street from the expo center at the Philadelphia terminal market. A huge fresh pastrami sandwitch stacked high on deli rye, a ladle of coleslaw, a ladle of thousand island dressing, fresh potatoe chips, and unsweetened tea. Dang, life is good on the east coast!
So you encountered two Rye's that day, heh heh. Sorry, it was just too tempting! Chris is a good guy, as well, and seems to be very attentive to his customers. Sounds like a great expo. I look forward to one here in the relative hinterlands of Atlanta.

Hey guys, I also went to the Expo and shot this (and some other) reviews that I will post up. You can read the full thing at https://electricbikereview.com/specialized/turbo-como-2-0-low-entry-650b/ or watch the video below. It was a great time and I hope to see you all at future events! My hope is that we can post more of these in advance in the forums here and I am asking dealers and people who work the expo to get involved in sharing here :)

I also went to the Philly Expo and test road mostly eMTBs to get a feel of the different motors. Also tested Specialized Como and Vado and posted my impressions in Spec Como thread earlier today. With regards to the motors, I preferred the smooth natural ride feel of the Brose motor even though it was not as powerful feeling starting off as the Shimano 8000, Yamaha PW X and Bosch CX equipped MTBs I test drove. The Shimano was my second favorite especially outfitted with the Di2 shifting ....so smooth. But boy was it noisy ... I could hear it above the very loud noisy indoor test track plus my hearing is not so great so I can't imagine what it would sound like in a quiet setting. Anyway, the Yamaha motor was too powerful from dead start for my taste but if you are into that then it is also an excellent choice for MTBing. The Bosch had a great response and peppy ride feel but I did not like the resistance when hitting the 20 mph assist limit, which was easy to do on the flat smooth indoor track. I also had a great Cajun lunch at the market across the street from the convention center. Yes ... life is good on the east coast. I was there on Sunday so unfortunately missed running into Court.

PaulGee, your observations on the Brose vs Yamaha are very interesting. I do like the instant power of the Yamaha system. The noise from the shimano is puzzling because some of them were dead silent, others were loud enough to hear over the background noise. I found the same issue with the Steps equipped bikes, I wonder if it depends on set up or power settings.

The noise from the shimano is puzzling because some of them were dead silent, others were loud enough to hear over the background noise. I found the same issue with the Steps equipped bikes, I wonder if it depends on set up or power settings.

Shoestring - I only tested the Bulls Shimano MTB and the motor was whining pretty loud at the highest rpms, but I may be more sensitive to high pitch noises since I been married for so long (just joking of course). Anyway, I am sure the noise level depends on the bike gearing set up as well as the controller.

Last edited:
Back