Petite older female need help,with choosing E-Bike.

Augiesma,
Agreed, it's tough to find small or extra-small frames. And under 30 lb weight?!
This is a GoCycle folding ebike. They claim it's 36 lbs.
It may not be in you budget but I think it's a cool looking ebike.

1592272210175.png

Pretty tough to get a 30 pound folder. The folder motors on our ebikes are 4.8 pounds and a 30 cell 36V pack is 3.6 pounds. Add display and electronics and that's 10 pounds added to a 25-30 pound bike. However, if we're not talking about lugging it up two flights of stairs, a 36 pound 20" folder is easy to put in a car.

Ok, I am modifying my expectations regarding weight! I was able to configure a Bike Friday online ..20” tires, rear mount motor (they had emailed me about converting one of their other folding bikes but It would have been a front mount motor and I have read that rear mount is better), $2500 and 33 lbs. I’m still hesitant to order without test riding. I think there is a dealer in NYC and I may try to get there to see if they have anything similar to try. I do have a question about the battery. This is configured a
With a 36v battery. Is it worth it to upgrade to. 48v, if that is possible on this bike? I’m assuming it will add cost and weight.

I was able to configure a Bike Friday online ..20” tires, rear mount motor...This is configured with a 36v battery, is it worth it to upgrade to 48v if that is possible on this bike?

IMO moving up to 48v is not neccessary, a 36v hub motor in a 20" wheel is plenty powerful for a city bike as the motor can deliver proportionately more power due to the smaller wheel size. If you were talking about a fat tire folding bike you were planning to ride off road on sand or snow then I would agree moving up to 48v would help, but 36v is fine for road and light trail riding.

If you can, test riding even a pedal Bike Friday model at that NY dealer would be helpful to see how you feel about the handling on a 20" bike. I went on vacation to Pensacola in 2018 and rode a Dahon 20" folding pedal bike along the beach path, towing a bike trailer I had brought, and it was different from my usual 700c bike but fun and didn't take long to get used to.

Last edited:
It’s using a fairly lightweight battery pack, Grin Tech’s LiGo batteries, 3 of which would deliver about 300wh for about 8lb, Bike Friday’s e-pakiT model might be lighter than the New World Tourist, I think 26lb all in. The base model is single speed but you can spec an 8 speed, but I think it has 16” wheels smaller that the OP wants so maybe the New World Tourist is the one?
It’s using a fairly lightweight battery pack, Grin Tech’s LiGo batteries, 3 of which would deliver about 300wh for about 8lb, Bike Friday’s e-pakiT model might be lighter than the New World Tourist, I think 26lb all in. The base model is single speed but you can spec an 8 speed, but I think it has 16” wheels smaller that the OP wants so maybe the New World Tourist is the one?
Yes..I think I’m going to go for Bike Friday New World Tourist. Going for a Bike Friday trial ride on Monday. Different model but should give me a sense.

IMO moving up to 48v is not neccessary, a 36v hub motor in a 20" wheel is plenty powerful for a city bike as the motor can deliver proportionately more power due to the smaller wheel size. If you were talking about a fat tire folding bike you were planning to ride off road on sand or snow then I would agree moving up to 48v would help, but 36v is fine for road and light trail riding.

If you can, test riding even a pedal Bike Friday model at that NY dealer would be helpful to see how you feel about the handling on a 20" bike. I went on vacation to Pensacola in 2018 and rode a Dahon 20" folding pedal bike along the beach path, towing a bike trailer I had brought, and it was different from my usual 700c bike but fun and didn't take long to get used to.
I have a test drive scheduled for Monday. It’s not the exact model I’m looking for but it’s a Bike Friday with 20” wheels

On the picture Bike Friday NWT looks a little high step-over ~21-22". Probably doable for a woman. Better than 24-25" on folders with a straight top tube.

A true step-through frame would have 17"-18" step-over. Heck, my 26" bike has 18" step-over, I'm 5'6" and wouldn't want it any higher.

On the picture Bike Friday NWT looks a little high step-over ~21-22". Probably doable for a woman. Better than 24-25" on folders with a straight top tube.

A true step-through frame would have 17"-18" step-over. Heck, my 26" bike has 18" step-over, I'm 5'6" and wouldn't want it any higher.
Hmm.. thanks for pointing that out. I’ll have to check it out.

Update: I am seriously considering a Blix Vika+...Does anyone have experience with this bike? I’m getting discouraged with the Bike Friday because it has a front hub motor, no throttle, and the sales guy is very reluctant to give me specs like power of the motor, and the battery is 36 v, disk brakes are an upgrade, and the price tag is creeping up to $3k I have a feeling it is more of a low powered commuter bike than a touring bike. The Blix has everything I want at half the price..a low 16” step,over, sizes people from 4”10, 48 v battery, 500 watt rear motor, disc brakes..the only problem is..it is heavy! Over 50 lbs! I’m thinking of sacrificing the weight because mostly my boyfriend will be around to put it in the trunk..I’m mostly biking with him. Maybe I should start lifting weights 💪🏻

Update: I am seriously considering a Blix Vika+...Does anyone have experience with this bike? I’m getting discouraged with the Bike Friday because it has a front hub motor, no throttle, and the sales guy is very reluctant to give me specs like power of the motor, and the battery is 36 v, disk brakes are an upgrade, and the price tag is creeping up to $3k I have a feeling it is more of a low powered commuter bike than a touring bike. The Blix has everything I want at half the price..a low 16” step,over, sizes people from 4”10, 48 v battery, 500 watt rear motor, disc brakes..the only problem is..it is heavy! Over 50 lbs! I’m thinking of sacrificing the weight because mostly my boyfriend will be around to put it in the trunk..I’m mostly biking with him. Maybe I should start lifting weights 💪🏻

Not sure if you have looked at any of Court’s reviews, but there is a separate category for folding bikes. To find them:
- EBR home screen
- Menu
- Categories
- Electric folding bikes

For each review Court includes price and weight.

Not sure if you have looked at any of Court’s reviews, but there is a separate category for folding bikes. To find them:
- EBR home screen
- Menu
- Categories
- Electric folding bikes

Couldn’t find it 🤔

- EBR home screen
- Menu
- Categories
- Electric folding bikes

Great ideal... let's make this easy for new EBR members... ;)

Here are our top picks for the best folding electric bikes of 2020. These top five ebikes represent the best combination of features and value right now, but you can see all 117 of our detailed folding ebike reviews listed by date here. Reviewing electric bikes is our primary focus, EBR has the industry’s most complete and objective reviews. Since 2012, we’ve helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget. Let’s go!

Table of Contents:

Things to Consider:
  • Intended Use. There are many variations of folding electric bikes to choose from… and each sub-category has its own strengths and weaknesses. The solution is to step back and think about your use cases. Do you need the lightest and most compact, even if it means less comfort? Would you prioritize traction and off-road stability, even if it meant adding weight and size? What about fenders and lights for commuting? I know people who never fold these ebike, but chose them only for their compact size and approachability (low stand-over height). Think about your situation, as you consider these top picks, and scan through our entire library of folding ebike reviews to really get it right.
  • Battery. Cell quality is important. How far will it take you and last? How expensive is a replacement? Battery location also impacts performance. Those located near the rear wheel are easier to remove but shift weight towards the back. Having it on the main frame spreads weight evenly, improving handling, but makes attachment more difficult. Easy attachment is nice when you remove the battery for lifting the bike or to store and charge the battery separately.
  • Size and Weight. How small does it collapse when it’s folded? Will it fit into your space? How heavy is it to lift? Will you be able to load or carry it? Can it be rolled when folded? Can the bike handle your weight and cargo?
  • Component Quality. When portability it the primary focus, the quality of parts may be neglected. Make sure the core components can deliver the performance you need. is the the drivetrain, battery pack, shift mechanism, and display protected when the bike is folded?

You have to click the big ebr logo and it takes you to the main page where reviews are

right now you are in the forums part

court does a great job listing everything you want to know on weights etc

Why not consider M-Class from Ariel Rider. They seem to have fathersday discount. You will get a mid-drive compact e-bike for $1550. Seems like a good deal.

Attachments

• 104168195_1430389160480544_6464474785597474142_n.jpg
    104168195_1430389160480544_6464474785597474142_n.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 248
I’m not really crazy about the look if it, plus I can’t find minimum height stats

Why not consider M-Class from Ariel Rider. They seem to have a father's day discount.
You will get a mid-drive compact e-bike for $1550. Seems like a good deal.

I agree, and at this price point I would recommend a mid-drive that is optimized for hill climbing.

Last edited:
I would look at this. Only 57 miles and great price (won't last). Frame size is small which might be a tad large for you at 5' but you could make it work.

Used 2019 Trek Verve+ from Bicycle Blue Book for $1126

Back