Pennsylvania Rides | Meetups | Pennsylvania Riders

I went for a bike ride today with a good friend on the Cumberland Valley Rail Trail starting in Newville PA.

We managed to ride 18 miles total, but took it slow for his sake, averaging about 9 miles per hour.

My battery stayed on 5 bars, except whenever my friend borrowed my e bike and went at top throttle speed to cool off several times.

He’s sold on the concept of e bikes after riding mine and will be in the market for one this fall. He definitely had the “e bike grin” every time he borrowed my bike.

Regardless I’m pretty confident now of being able to complete the 30 mile group ride August 16.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I've been keeping an eye on the forecast for the Mt. Gretna area. We have a cold front moving into the area over the next few days. Weather forecast for Sunday has gotten worse everyday. I've had a couple people already say they are out.

I'm okay with a game time decision for myself. I don't want to leave it to the last minute considering there's travel involved. It was suggested to me to reschedule for a fall foliage ride. Any suggestions, comments?

NWS & NOAA forecast:

Mount Gretna, PA
Saturday Night, Aug 15, 2020

65° F
50% A chance of showers, mainly after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. East wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Mount Gretna, PA
Sunday, Aug 16, 2020

75° F
70% Showers likely, mainly before 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. East wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

I've been keeping an eye on the forecast for the Mt. Gretna area. We have a cold front moving into the area over the next few days. Weather forecast for Sunday has gotten worse everyday. I've had a couple people already say they are out.

I'm okay with a game time decision for myself. I don't want to leave it to the last minute considering there's travel involved. It was suggested to me to reschedule for a fall foliage ride. Any suggestions, comments?

NWS & NOAA forecast:

Mount Gretna, PA
Saturday Night, Aug 15, 2020

65° F
50% A chance of showers, mainly after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. East wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Mount Gretna, PA
Sunday, Aug 16, 2020

75° F
70% Showers likely, mainly before 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. East wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
I'd love a fall folliage ride weather 😁 or not Sundays ride works out.

I’m still going to give it a try, regardless of weather, unless it’s really pouring continuously.

Just now finished 20 miles on this trail, starting from the Old Trolley Park, and averaging 12mph. It’s was a bit more of a climb than I expected. Good thing there was a well placed bench at the top of Mt. Gretna.

My e bike battery still had 3 bars out of five left when I was done, and rebounded to 4 out of 5 after sitting for five minutes, so I think a 30 mile rail trail ride on one battery charge is doable.

See you Sunday.

It was suggested to me to reschedule for a fall foliage ride. Any suggestions, comments?
Keep this one and schedule a fall ride?

I don’t have any rain gear with me but might pick up a cheap rain jacket before Sunday just in case.

Weather is looking a little better!

Mount Gretna, PA

Sunday, Aug 16, 2020

74° F 60% Showers likely, mainly before 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 74. East wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

We were 7 ebikers strong when the 'gang' left Elizabethtown Pa to pillage the sleepy town of Mt. Gretna. The mood of these bikers was as dark as the sky on Sunday;)

20200816_181127.jpg

Ebikers took over the town of Mt. Gretna :eek:

20200816_181232.jpg

20200816_181340.jpg

There were 3 Specialized ebikes, 3 Haibike ebikes, I was the only oddball.... And I was riding a BH.

The weather was threatening, but only misted a couple times. No rain and the temperatures were in the 70's all day. We rode about 27 miles and had a nice lunch in town.

I'm not good about getting group photos, I'll do better next time:cool:

Thanks to all! A great first effort, especially considering covid complications.

You did get a nice group photo of the bikes, especially the royal blue Como in front ...
Yeah, that was a mistake. I think that bike belongs to Otis the town drunk 🤔

Great to be with everyone yesterday. Seven riders is the biggest social group ride I've been on since the start of the pandemic.

Yeah, that was a mistake. I think that bike belongs to Otis the town drunk 🤔

Great to be with everyone yesterday. Seven riders is the biggest social group ride I've been on since the start of the pandemic.
Well there is an old stereotype of DUI drivers getting eBikes 😁

Glad it got off...I kept looking for Marlon Brando
Did the rider from VA come...I’m in central VA and maybe to break the doldrums here am interested in the next ride.

Did the rider from VA come...I’m in central VA and maybe to break the doldrums here am interested in the next ride.
Marlon couldn't make it. Will Sting do ? I'm told he removed his mask and helmet for the photo ...
sting moped lights.jpeg

No he had a personal emergency and had to cancel at the last minute. Everyone from the region are welcome. It's more about the people and scenery than the miles.

Here's a pic of one of our gang. Can't have anything nice.

life-magazine-1947.jpg

Marlon couldn't make it. Will Sting do ? I'm told he removed his mask and helmet for the photo ...
View attachment 62708
He's a mod, I'd be hangin' with the rockers or greasers ;)

I was in Mechanicsburg all week and took a 20 mile test ride on that trail Friday to make sure I could do it, and I was really looking forward to it. But my best friend died unexpectedly Saturday and I couldn’t be there.

I thought the trail was a spectacular ride and I’m really looking forward to meeting everyone for the fall foliage ride.

Is there interest in a pine creek gorge group ride in mid-october?

Myself, I would stay overnight somewhere along the way.

Back