Pedego Battery Gauge Discrepancy

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
Pedego rear rack mount batteries have a built in SOC (state of charge) gauge. This gauge consists of 4 green bars and one red bar. I noticed on my Platinum Interceptor that this gauge does not match the one on the handlebar meter. During a ride last week, 2 bars were showing on the handlebar meter gauge yet the gauge on the battery showed only one red bar. Fearing I would damage the battery by completely discharging it, I turned off the electrics and completed the ride using pedal power alone. Not much fun there.

Thinking there might be a defect somewhere, I emailed Pedego tech support. I was told this condition is normal and the two gauges do not function the same way. I was given a chart comparing the two gauges. I thought it might be useful for other Pedego owners. The following is their reply:

"As for the questions regarding your battery state of charge at the pack versus the display is caused by different parameters of reading the current voltage. At the battery, the indicator is taking a direct reading on the following voltage breakdown:"

Display on battery:
  • 5 bars - 100-90%
  • 4 bars - 89-70%
  • 3 bars - 69-50%
  • 2 bars - 49-30%
  • 1 red bar - 29-10%
  • Flashing red - 9-5%
  • no lights - 4-0%
Handlebar meter display:
  • 5 bars - 100-80%
  • 4 bars - 79-60%
  • 3 bars - 59-40%
  • 2 bars - 39-20%
  • 1 bar - 19-0%

When I bought my bike the dealer told me that the bar system was different, and not to worry about it. It makes sense because the handlebar only has five levels of information and the battery has, as you noted, 7 levels of information There's no way that they could actually align. When I get down to two bars on the handlebars, I'm always goad to know that I'm headed home!

I wonder if in the future they might create a software that would simply show the percentage? That would be cool, and very informative!

Thanks for sharing the battery level indicator meanings. Super helpful!

Back