Pedal suggestion?

Over50

I feel like I've spent more time tweaking my R&M Charger than I have riding but for commuting I want to have it set up just right. Thus I've decided the pedals must go. They are fine when the streets are dry but slippery when wet. This past weekend I was out twice with wet streets. We didn't have rain but a constant mist/fog. I wear shoes with a walking/hiking tread most of the time. My feet would slip off the pedals and usually at the most inopportune time (starting from a stop at a red light). I've been searching the Internet and their are many pedals and at the same time few (by that I mean some I find at manufacturer websites I can't find for sale in the US to he public such as VP Components).

So what pedal is appropriate for a speed pedelec and commuting? It needs to be grippy and preferably have reflectors and offer a solid purchase (maybe not too narrow) but I don't want to clip into anything. On my regular bike I installed some Origen 8 Classique Pro pedals. I like them but they are narrow and I'm not sure they are appropriate for a higher speed bike. Any suggestions as to what to use on a commuter speed pedelec? Mostly riding with athletic shoes such as hikers, water hikers (I wear Keens in the summer) or sneakers.

Stock pedals are VP-191.

Attachments

• vp191.jpg
    vp191.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 499
We generally recommend platform pedals. I listed some ideas below:
Stamp_BlackLarge_Sm-1.png

Crank Brothers Mallet Pedals

1330313426_587257.jpg

VP Components VP-69

You could also do something really simple like BMX pedals. We use them quite often.

Chris - are you able to order VP pedals? I was at their website and it didn't seem they sell to the public and they don't list prices. I also don't see many of their models at sites like REI or Jenson. It seems a lot of their models have reflector options. The CrankBrothers Stamp pedals I was eyeing because they have a small/large version dependent on shoe size.

Yes, we can get VP pedals. Let me know which models you're interested in and I can get you more details.

I had the same issues you have. I didn't want to clip or cleat in either. I went with a combination solution, I found solved the problem completely. Studded platform pedals and purpose made platform shoes. The shoes are very flat, platform soled and the tread is designed to lock into the studded pedals. It's a clipped in feel (almost), without the danger of forgetting to unclip. I like hikers as well, but they just don't give the same performance.

Pedals:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E...lgo+pedals&dpPl=1&dpID=41MHClFiruL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S...=PPPE1ZV1F8HVMRE36W8G&dpPl=1&dpID=51pEjx7CdwL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006...309_of_38?ie=UTF8&refRID=N03P0AZ9SYRF223TX8C6

Shoes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J...=4TZT6AM4FDF9B0157472&dpPl=1&dpID=71hg+OdbGtL

VP 531 or any of that ilk (has option to attach reflectors). I also like the VP 69s you posted a picture of (I can probably add some 3M reflective tape).

I had the same issues you have. I didn't want to clip or cleat in either. I went with a combination solution, I found solved the problem completely. Studded platform pedals and purpose made platform shoes. The shoes are very flat, platform soled and the tread is designed to lock into the studded pedals. It's a clipped in feel (almost), without the danger of forgetting to unclip. I like hikers as well, but they just don't give the same performance.
Thanks. I was seriously considering the Shimano Saint pedals you posted. I was turned off by a few negative reviews however they were just a few of many. Did you end up with one of those 3 pedals you posted?

I checked out the 5/10 shoes but just opted for a New Balance reflective shoe. Also ordered a reflective velcro thingy that protects the laces:

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/530-re...et_with_Steel#color=Magnet_with_Steel&width=D

http://jogogrips.com/

I have the Wellgo, that have reflectors. Work great! I sometimes ride with NB or Merrell, but platform pedals work better with the 5-10. The pedals help with any shoe.

I mounted a pair of Meet Locks platform pedals ... Slightly concave , interchangeable spikes , etc (foot stays put on these)... Very stiff and quite and smooth ... Sealed bearings ... So far so good ... Can be found around $28-30 ...
IMG_20170123_113736.jpg

mine are dirty... gotta clean the bike ... they are available in various colors

Last edited:
I put on Xpedo Face Off pedals on my Haibike mountain bike, but I've also used them on road bikes. They work well in preventing slippage.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RLJG7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon also has very attractive VP Component pedals, $45 (with free same-day delivery for Prime members):
https://www.amazon.com/VP-Component...rd_wg=zITXL&psc=1&refRID=PXTESGTAEP8M5F544M2Q

If I were in the market for pedals right now I would probably go for the VP Component Vice Pedals.

Thanks. I was seriously considering the Shimano Saint pedals you posted. I was turned off by a few negative reviews however they were just a few of many. Did you end up with one of those 3 pedals you posted?

I have Shimao Saints on my Specialized Turbo-X. Their biggest downsides would be the shorter pegs than on many other MTB pedal. This can be increased, as I have done, by removing the washers from each of the pegs. They still fail to grip occasionally on my boots, which have a fairly slippery tread (they are 3-years old and mostly flat now)—but much better than the cage style pedals that came with my bike. They are also rather narrow, which is fine for my 8.5 US shoe size. Anything over a 9 and I'd consider them too narrow.

On the upside, they are Shimano, so build quality is as you'd expect—very good. As good as you can get for the price? Probably not, but they grip my regular shoes perfectly (which have deeper treads) and I plan to buy a winter bike next season, so I decided to keep them. I think as long as you aren't like me and keep shoes until I can see my toes poke out of them, they are probably just fine.

Are the platform pedals with pins generally grippier than the cage type pedals? Is there a particular use for the cage style pedals vs the pins? I was out on my Spot regular bike (has these Origen 8s linked below) yesterday in the rain. With my hikers I had a little slipping going on but still grippier than the stock pedals on the Charger. Maybe more the fault of the shoe than the pedal.

https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Classique-Pro-Pedals-Black/dp/B00K1EWVOI

At the moment I'm sort of leaning towards the VP 69, the Crank Brothers Stamp (small) or the Wellgo MG 1. There's kind of a big price difference between some of these and I'm not sure what the additional $ translate to (quieter, longer life...?).

I went with the Shimano Saints but now have some doubts. Rode over today (30F) to my local Trek shop. They had 3 good options including the Saints and a Bontrager pedal. Opted for the Saints as they were the smallest of the 3 (but not materially smaller). Shop changed em out for me. Felt good riding home with my New Balance sneakers. Smooth and grippy enough in dry conditions. But, getting close to home on a turn a pedal hit the ground. I was probably pedaling through the turn and fortunately going slow. A bit scary and seems like it could have disastrous consequences on a fast tight turn. Compared them to the VP 191s that came with the bike and the Shimanos are about 3/4 of an inch longer. I put a pretty good scrape on the pedal so probably precludes me from returning them. So with this type of pedal does one train oneself to keep the pedal high through turns or is it just too dangerous to have longer pedals on a mid-drive speed pedelec? I'll test them out a bit more but maybe they'll end up on Ebay.

Last edited:
I've hit my Saints on the ground a couple of times. They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Of course I've done this on every bike pedal I've ever used. Both times with my Saints, it was because I had the inside foot down and turned onto a driveway apron where the ground distance was less than on flat surfaces. I'm personally not the old dog type who can learn new tricks easily. So I've just considered it part of biking. I've never had an accident because of it—tho it does shock me every time. I remember a few of @Court's bike review on here where he does it too.

There comes a point where pedal width can also become a safety issue. I'm guessing, like you, most of the time you just aren't leaning that far during turns or you happen to have your outside pedal in the down position when you do, so it hasn't happened yet. It is also possible that your bottom bracket on your new bike is lower than previous bikes you've ridden, making this an inevitable situation regardless of the pedals you choose.

If training out the danger is the solution, the obvious keeping the outside pedal down during turns and not spin—rather coast—during turns.

Attachments

• image_11_2.jpg
    image_11_2.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 519
Thanks James - now that you mention it I was turning onto a sidewalk which had a ramp/apron. I went out later on my regular bike and tried to pay attention to my pedal position on turns. It isn't something I've ever paid attention to in 40+ years of riding a bike - so probably hard to train out.

I use clip less for my mtb (non e) and have for over 20 years. I also have used them with motor assist but discovered that they aren't as necessary and platform pedals work better because I don't have to think about what type of shoe or boot I have on, although I do try to avoid using flip flops and sandals if at all possible.

In the OP's situation and for others that are commuting and using a variety of shoes I think that something like this might work

51w47vmQ2qL._SX425_.jpg

The big difference is that the black area is a grippy rubber compound which might just be enough although I have never tried them.

I do admit that I use pretty aggressively pinned pedals myself but I rue the day I get one in the shin and already have some dot scars on the back of my calf from using them doing an over a pretty gnarly pass with a lot of pushing ride in Colorado on my single speed last fall. It didn't really bother me though and it took me a second to figure out how I got the dots on my calf to begin with. I am going to get a pair for trials https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Crui...words=platform+bicycle+pedals+9/16&th=1&psc=1

The best way to keep your feet on the pedals is to stay in the gear ratio that you have to apply some pressure to consistently. If you are just windmilling which most speed pedalecs that I see make necessary due to the fact that they don't have high enough stock gear ratio's to be able to pedal with effective resistance at speeds over 25 mph yet you must be pedaling in order for the motor to be engaged to be able to go faster. Doing this your feet become light on the pedal and more apt to slip around.

Back