Pausing motor while shifting - physical motor cutoff switch

pushkar

We have shipped most of our bikes with Maguras or Dominion A4s. When a rider shifts gears, they have to either tap the brakes (to cut motor power) or pause pedaling to shift (so the motor doesn't engage).

We have been testing different scenarios and are finding good success with a physical motor cutoff switch. This is especially useful if you buy the bikes with Dominion brakes.

This was introduced to us by one of our customers and we have made a custom version for this that fits Watt Wagons version of the Bafang Ultra controller cables (2 pin, red Higo).

1616800366462.png

If you have a bike you purchased and was delivered to you prior to Jan 2021, we will have a version of the cable and adapter that will fit on the older Bafang cables.

ETA for switches is late May 2021.

Hi @pushkar I hear reports from my LUNAtic buddies that the Bafang takes a long time to cut off when pedaling stops. How long is the delay with the Archon X1?
-BB

Instant cutoff with Archon.
The default controller is missing a key component that still stores some charge after you cut the power. Hence it still keeps running for half to one full revolution.
So this device cuts power automatically when you shift? You don't have to do anything ?

Intersting option that does serve a purpose. However, i am not sure if I would just revert back to tapping the brakes for speed. Waht would be intereseting would be if it would only cut the motor for a couple of seconds while you got through the shift and turned back on. Is there nit shift senirs that do this already. I thought that frey offered one for their bikes. What would be really smashing would be if it was integrated into the shifting mech.

What is wrong with the older Bafang shift sensors? Been using them for 3 years never had any issue. Of course I don't use the e-brake function either.

Not with kindernay - they dont work with hydraulic lines IIRC.
I'm not a GS fan. I started out liking it but the "big green button" has a much lower failure rate. (haven't had a single button return) Not so with the GS. BTW the GS has been knocked off by Chinese vendors.

Just Google. Bafang Wuxing green button. Also found as a Bafang kill switch. Shazam!
I have one from Cali Ebike on a BBSHD build. No resistance on the switch and just press to engage. Release and motor is live again. Just like a horn button.

My Rize came with a gear sensor. Works great to interrupt power for shift. But if you shift on a hill, while climbing you will lose momentum and pay the price for not selecting proper gear before the climb.

Back