Pannier or backpack for city travelling?

RMSDivine

Superdelite 2020-21 comes with a basic pack carrier:
1597583069268.jpeg

I have changed this with the standard one:

1597583100840.jpeg

Big advantage, this is not connected to the wheel!

Now.... what pack? Sidepack or would you go with a backpack on shoulders? Main use: city travelling.

A few samples....

Bellroy Apex

Brooks Picwick backpack

pickwick_12lt_reflective_leather_brown_front_view_brooks_england_2.png

Brooks Suffolk rear pannier
suffolk_rear_pannier_green_front_view_brooks_england_1.png

Ortlieb City
sportroller_city_f6002_front.jpg

Ortlieb Sport packer
sportpacker_classic_f4803_front.jpg

Panniers (sidepacks? never heard that one) are always more comfortable than a backpack.

I always hated the idea of wearing a backpack, but after getting a Camelbak I became a convert. I use it all the time since there is not bottle mounts on my bike. That said, as far as just carrying stuff, I would rather carry it on the bike. If it is not a lot (but more than an under seat bag can carry), I prefer a rack trunk over a pannier. I only use panniers if I need to schlep a lot o' stuff.

You went to the expense of switching rear racks and now you're asking if you should wear a backpack while cycling?
Did I miss something here? Buy panniers and use the rack.
I don't know about most people, but I find that cycling with a backpack to be uncomfortable and in the warmer months I end up with a sweaty back.

I've tried a small backpack for cycling. Never enjoyed the sweat trapped between me and the pack. I go with a quick release racktop bag (Racktime Talis) for small loads and quick release panniers (Ortlieb Classics) for more. They all come with shoulder straps for longer carrys. The Talis also has a trunk top carry handle. I have to admit that I am in the bad habit of using the Ortlieb release handle as a carry handle. I'll probably need to break one before I stop...😎

For different situations I use both. It never ride with the backpack on me. I use Ortlieb City panniers for carrying more stuff or a small Racktime rear basket to carry my backpack. I purchased a Rixen and Kaul backpack that fits on the Ortlieb front handlebar adapter but rarely use it, it seems like it would work better on a seatpost adapter.

You went to the expense of switching rear racks and now you're asking if you should wear a backpack while cycling?
Did I miss something here?

Yes, it was replaced free of charge by the shop!
BTW the original model 2020-21 can be used with panniers, however it will suffer from all the vibrations and shocks coming from the wheel

For commuting (lunch, tablet) on a Nevo (when it gets here) I picked up a convertible backpack to see how that goes.

If it were either/or I would rather deal with a pannier off the bike than wear a backpack on the bike. But that's very much a personal preference and I'm sure many feel just the opposite!

I would go with the Ortlieb. They are well made and fit nicely.

Just keep in mind that the Achilles heel of Riese & Muller bikes is the paint job. To protect the paint, you can get anti abrasion tape to cover the rails on the rack from your Riese & Muller Dealer.

A stylish pannier. Who knows if it is suitable for RM bikes? One problem I can see is that water can enter the bag from the side. Secondly, there are no pockets & compartments

From your experience, does a fully-loaded single pannier makes the bike very unbalanced?

il_1588xN.1682743552_1b8q.jpg

Given the weight of these bikes I've never noticed any impact. My current ride is a Tern GSD and I load that with a weeks worth of groceries on one side.

A stylish pannier. Who knows if it is suitable for RM bikes? One problem I can see is that water can enter the bag from the side. Secondly, there are no pockets & compartments

That is a nice looking pannier! As far as pockets and compartments, I have an older model of Ortlieb's Office Bag, which is just like a briefcase with pockets for laptop, tablet, phone, pens, etc. It comes in two different sizes, and they also make a High Visibility version with reflective fabric.

From your experience, does a fully-loaded single pannier makes the bike very unbalanced?

Only when you're standing still. If I only run one pannier, I mount it on the left side of the bike.

I have an Ortlieb Hi Vis Ofiic e bagthat I carry on one side with computer, tools and sometime pack quite full. Surprisingly it does not feel unbalance, even though obviously it is.

I love that high-vis fabric. I have it on an Ortlieb front bag on my Tern. Low-key in daylight and as-advertised at night :)

@RMSDivine: However good Ortlieb panniers are, observe some care. In rough terrain (and with heavily loaded pannier), Ortliebs can sometimes detach from the rack. Don't put fragile objects in the pannier!

Superdelite 2020-21 comes with a basic pack carrier:
View attachment 62526

I have changed this with the standard one:

View attachment 62527

Big advantage, this is not connected to the wheel!
I’m a bit confused. Why is it a big advantage to not be connected to the wheel? And why would you change to a much taller rack that clearly will cause a much higher center of gravity with a pannier on it? I’m all about keeping weight low and solidly attached to the lowest attachment points.

A rear rack attached to the swingarm will get 100% of the shock, whilst the one attached to the bike frame will get a reduced shock, as this will be partially mitigated by the shock absorber.

I’m a bit confused. Why is it a big advantage to not be connected to the wheel? And why would you change to a much taller rack that clearly will cause a much higher center of gravity with a pannier on it? I’m all about keeping weight low and solidly attached to the lowest attachment points.
@Dallant: R&M Superdelite is a full-suspension e-bike. The rack @RMSDivine showed is fully suspended, that is, it belongs to the sprung mass of the e-bike.

Back