Pannier bag recommendations

So Santa is waiting on my Christmas list, and on it will be a pannier bag for my upcoming CCX. I was reading on some posts here that the Racktime rack that comes with the CCX is pretty weak, and can take up to 20 lbs. Any bag recommendations to pair with it? I do have a Blackburn adjustable fat bike rack that I'm not sure will work with it, but either way, I probably won't carry more than 12-15 lbs, unless I do some grocery shopping with it.

I do like the Arkel Signature V, as I'd like the option to take a new, thin 15.4" MacBook Pro. This is for commuting. I'd also like to drop in my lunch bag, maybe a few clothes/shoes, and not too much more than that. With the lunch bag I need something wider than a true computer brief.

I like the Wald Folding Baskets. My wife and I both use them. Out of the way when we don't need them, instantly available when we do. Inexpensive and easy to mount. We used some zip ties as well as the included hardware. The black ones look great on my CCS. We got white for my wife's white Pedego City Commuter. May not be quite what you're looking for, but worth looking at anyway.

Can't go wrong with Ortlieb, especially if you plan to ride in wet conditions occasionally. Check out their website, the new fastening system is so adjustable that it will work with most racks on the market.
I swear by my Backrollers for my commute. Haven't found anything better. And, other than the clips, the design hasn't changed in probably 25 years, which tells you that they did something right.

I don't know about Ortlieb for bicycles, my experience with them came from roll-top bags for adventure motorcycles, and they were great. I do know their origins are from the bike-biz though.
Let us know what you end up with...I may outfit at least one of ours, if nothing but for the occasional grocery run.

That folding basket is cool. Seen them once before. Put one in my amazon cart. 👍

Last edited:
Ortlieb is great, I have some of their new gravel gear, though their plastic connectors are knowing for breaking a lot on serious use. Arkel are also top tier, and some people prefer their hook system, but compatibility with the cheap rack on the Juiced is what I’m most wondering about.

These panniers get expensive, so I am hoping for a one size fits all—computer bag for lunch, clothes, laptop; and grocery runs. Also need to check heel clearance on the Juiced.

I've been very happy with the Ortlieb Office Bag. It has a separate space for my laptop, pockets, and lots of extra carrying capacity. The release system (I have the one that mounts a triangle on your rack and the bag mounts to the triangle) attaches and detaches really easily. It works well in the rain. When I want to be careful, it easily accomodates my bike battery.
I have a very basic seat post rack that takes a max of 20 pounds or so.

I think that bag has long been replaced. So you put a different rack on your Juiced, or you ride a different bike altogether?

sierra.com just got a tablet protector, waterproof for $10 $23-$40 less than anyone else. Currently weird colors but stock changes. Picked up a decent color pair for 65% off last spring. Gotta check back often for quick deals. Great source for lights and other bike accessories.

Looks like that Arkel would mount, that system looks good. I might try it, but that signature bag look too big and floppy when empty, I think the commuter might be better for me. Two would be expensive though. I'm also thinking os some way to adapt a less expensive iBera system, or the Topeak DXP system I like. I'd have to mount a toppeak track on the carrier first. I like the topeak dxp trunk bag. I may look into the Velcro version, but I like the quick release.

I wouldn't ride with an empty pannier. It is big, but I need to carry a decent amount of stuff with my computer, lunchbag, shoes, spare clothes. But you're right, the Arkel Commuter looks fantastic, and would be my preference if I didn't need as much stuff. The depth is 6" vs 8".

I bought the Rock Bros trunk bag that has drop down/expandable panniers on both sides for when I need them. I can fit my work laptop in no problems. I just add some padding when I do so. The only thing with this bag is that it isn’t a quick on/quick off. It has Velcro straps that hold it secure. More than secure but not super quick when you want to remove it as opposed to bags that have some sort of quick release. I keep mine on the bike all the time so not an issue. See pictures. One with the panniers stored, one showing the pannier unzipped and dropped down.

ROCK BROS Bike Rack Bag Trunk Bag Waterproof Carbon Leather Bicycle Rear Seat Cargo Bag Rear Pack Trunk Pannier Handbag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M1RDJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8VW.DbG3XXMKE

Attachments

• DB05B206-7C62-42BB-93D3-B345B8F5937D.jpeg
    DB05B206-7C62-42BB-93D3-B345B8F5937D.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 786
  • 99430A49-58C8-416B-9CC2-898D020D64C0.jpeg
    99430A49-58C8-416B-9CC2-898D020D64C0.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 773
That looks very useful. I’ve seen that style of trunk bag and pannier, but have resisted it as I find the trunk setup itself not the size I would normally use most.

Back