Pace 350 motor

Jtac15

Ive got a pace 350 with 2700 miles on it. Done routine maintenance like brake pads and new brake cable. Otherwise rides great my issue is with the motor. After 2 years riding it seems to take longer to accelerate to top speed. My wifes pace which is new seems to jump to top speed. I havent lost any mph as itll still get to top speed it just takes much longer. Is yhis a sign of the motor going bad or is this normal?

Hello! This isn't necessarily a sign of a future motor failure, as failures with motors are generally a burn out on 1, 2, or all 3 phases, or a hall effect sensor failure. Single phase burn outs will dramatically decrease power if not ceasing power all together, and normally you can smell them (electrical fire / burn smell). Hall effect failures will stop the motor from spinning when throttling or using PAS and they will have a high pitch ring coming from the motor. A likely cause for power loss could be that the motor controller is waring out. A big issue with motor controllers is a Mosfet Short. To test this simply elevate your rear wheel with the unit off, spin the wheel backwards by hand, and see if there is abnormal resistance (Basically very difficult to move the wheel backwards). If there is resistance, unplug the motor controller from the motor, if the resistance goes away, you have a bad controller. If the resistance persists, you likely have a phase burn out inside the motor. With your issue, this diagnosis may not work until something goes out. Luckily, I have seen many more controller failures than I have motor burn outs.

I hope this is helpful information, please feel free to reach out to me if you have more questions! :)

Back