Ortlieb Panniers on Supercharger Rack

rhino7

Hi,

I've got a Supercharger GX on order and would like to know if Ortlieb panniers fit onto the rack OK? I'd also be interested in knowing what the tube size of the rack is if someone could measure it.

Thanks.

I think Ortlieb panniers will be fine. There are also kits that will let you put any Ortlieb pannier on larger tube sizes but I really don't think you'll need them.

The bigger issue with most any panniers and the Supercharger (or the Charger) is that there isn't any good place for the bottom hook (or hooks on some panniers) to attach. So you need to either improvise something with cable ties or 3-d print a bracket that will fit on the lower part of the rack to give the bottom hooks a place to attach.

Thanks for the replies, good to know that they should fit. The Ortliebs to have a large range of adjustment for the bottom hook, so hopefully it will be possible to avoid cable ties and the like.

... so hopefully it will be possible to avoid cable ties ...

I can tell you that the bottom hook will not reach on a Charger uisng the Ortleib BikePacker Plus panniers. This is the QL2.1 system, and IIRC, it’s the 12mm inserts that are used with this racke.

It’s on my list of “dislikes” in my write-up of R&M-based touring (DC to South Dakota thus far) which I will hopefully finish and post soon. And it may not be a big deal for general commuting, but that the panniers have to ride so high is also an issue.

I use the Ortlieb Back-Roller Classic. They fit almost perfectly, the bottom hook included.

Only kink with fitting is the top locks not locking automatically as they should, since the rack tube diameter is, what, 0.00000001 mm too large. After hanging the pannier on the rack I need to manually click down the locking mechanisms. I guess it could be remedied with some filing on the panniers top hooks.

Be aware that the paint quality of the rack is subpar. It's a very thin layer and even test fitting and riding ONCE will scratch it noticably. This is not something I expected of such a expensive bike :(
If you want to preserve the original paint, use some vinyl or plastic self-adhesive protection where the hooks mount. I'm planning to powder-coat the entire rack later.

1532491345754.png

Good point by @tompat on top locks not locking automatically. I push down hard with my thumb. The good news is that the bag doesn’t come off easily even without the bottom hook in place in my case.

The Back-Roller is a very popular option so am guessing RM “designed” around it. The rack was described to me as Racktime top, RM custom sides.

Agree on the low-quality finish.

I added a pair of rods on the side, just below the top surface of the rack on my Nevo GH so I could hang Ortlieb Back Roller Panniers and still carry a trunk bag. I used aluminum rod with cable terminals crimped on and epoxy glue added to fill the gaps, primed and painted mat black. I do like the idea of powder coating the whole assembly.

...added a pair of rods on the side ...

Good job, that’s exactly what’s needed. Based on your image, it looks easier to do on a Nevo rack than a Charger. I’m of the opinion that for the $$, RM should be running an integrated bar parallel to the top ... I might be able to fit one of my universal racks from other bikes but didn’t have time to fuss with it before leaving.

The Supercharger rack carries the MIK logo, it is a different brand/system than Racktime. It is not very well known or used so I really have no clue why R&M chose MIK instead of Racktime. You can see the different MIK accessories here https://www.mik-click.com/system-products/

I just looked at a Supercharger image w/o panniers. It looks like the Nevo rack in Alaskan’s image? I assume that this is new across models for 2018. How interesting that it’s still a hair oversized for Ortlieb!

...added a pair of rods on the side ...

Good job, that’s exactly what’s needed. Based on your image, it looks easier to do on a Nevo rack than a Charger. I’m of the opinion that for the $$, RM should be running an integrated bar parallel to the top ... I might be able to fit one of my universal racks from other bikes but didn’t have time to fuss with it before leaving.

For my money, R&M should just use Tubus racks, which are widely considered to be the very best-made cargo racks out there. Plus, since they share the same parent company with Ortlieb it is reasonable to expect that they will be compatible with Ortlieb gear, which should make members of the Ortlieb tribe happy :) And they've been making "double-decker" type racks for decades.

This winter while I am skiing I am likely to try to engineer the attachment of a Tubus Cosmo on my Charger.

I used to think that the front rack on the Charger was kind of a joke. I still think a tombstone-style demi-porteur rack would be a superior choice, but I have worked out that I can zip-tie the dog carrier (which is mainly supported by the Klickfix adapter) securely to that rack which keeps it nicely in place. On tour there is just enough room to strap a z-rest sleeping pad to the rack below my handlebar bag. So I guess it does "work".

For my money, R&M should just use Tubus racks

On tour there is just enough room to strap a z-rest sleeping pad to the rack below my handlebar bag. So I guess it does "work".

Agree on Tubus. I don,t care for the RM front rack. I use a Revelate Design Sweetroll for my tent, rain jacket and other stuff. It weighs considerably less than that “rack” and is waterproof.

I wish the e-bike space, RM in particular, would offer frame/drivetrain only options.

Agree on Tubus. I don,t care for the RM front rack. I use a Revelate Design Sweetroll for my tent, rain jacket and other stuff. It weighs considerably less than that “rack” and is waterproof.

I wish the e-bike space, RM in particular, would offer frame/drivetrain only options.

I use a Sweetroll and a small duffle bag on the rear rack for S24O trips. For longer tours I use the Swift panniers and a small handlebar bag. At this point in my life I'd hate to think of a trip where I couldn't pack all I'd ever want or need to carry in two large panniers and the handlebar bag.

Yes, I do think R&M needs to look at how other high-end bikes are sold and move more in their direction. At a minimum you should be able to purchase the bike without grips, saddle, pedals, and racks. From what I read about their 2019 models they are going away from that approach.

Yes, I do think R&M needs to look at how other high-end bikes are sold and move more in their direction. At a minimum you should be able to purchase the bike without grips, saddle, pedals, and racks. From what I read about their 2019 models they are going away from that approach.

I could do without the Shimano Deore brakes and the proprietary skewer/front Suntour fork. The front brake is weak and I am replacing rear disk pads too often. The rotors only accept organic pads, which is part of the issue, but I am not happy. The upgrade path on the fork is so expensive that why put even a dime into something you don’t want?

If RM continues to bundle mediocrity with their frames, I and my “luggage” will be going elsewhere. I appreciate their innovation with drivetrain integration and overall bike stability, but I don’t have endless funds to throw at changes on top of the premium price, and I need to budget for travel!

I have a Supercharger GX Rohloff and Ortlieb Backroller Pro Plus panniers.
Panniers fit the frame well, the top clips are slightly loose as standard without shims - good fit but better with one layer of insulation tape or similar. You do have to manually close the top clips.
I purchased an extra pair of top clips and split them so each pannier is held on with 3 at the top, a spare for each should something go wrong.
Also purchased 2 extra hooks for the bottom, 1 each pannier. On each side of the Supercharger GX i have one hook sliding into place and the other has to be manually swivelled around into the frame. But both hooks help with extra support.
Only wish i purchased the Lime Green instead of Black Ortliebs as in the Australian sun it get's hot! Seriously thinking about voiding the warranty and spraying some White vinyl paint on a few sides, already doing this for the cheap Rockbros Gloss Black handlebar bag i bought.

Only wish i purchased the Lime Green instead of Black Ortliebs as in the Australian sun it get's hot! Seriously thinking about voiding the warranty and spraying some White vinyl paint on a few sides, already doing this for the cheap Rockbros Gloss Black handlebar bag i bought.

My blue Supercharger with the red panniers gives a horrible color combination. Looks like something that a clown would ride.

I originally ordered the older Charger in the gorgeous "curry yellow", while waiting for it I ordered the red panniers that I thought would match the yellow nicely. Unfortunately R&M fouled up my order and the could no longer deliver the Charger in HS version, so I ordered the Supercharger instead. And I already had the red panniers.. o_O:eek: LOL

For the curry yellow Charger both lime green and red would have been great matches. Seriously I consider painting the Supercharger in "curry yellow" once I am out of warranty. First world problems..

Check with your dealer how spray painting the rear rack would affect warranty. I'd guess it would not affect it at all, it's not the entire bike frame, just a detachable part.

My main concerns now are in order 1) Being seen on the road, 2) Keeping contents of the bags cooler when sunny & 3) Aesthetics.
I'm not going to be spraying the bike, only the bags.

Back