Original CC Is This Piece Really Needed?

youth

The only purpose it seems to serve is an backup retention to keep the wheel from falling out, but I doubt that would ever happen if the nuts are properly tightened.

My CC didn't come with proper rack mount so I rely on the threaded hole this is bolted to. Unfortunately through repeated unscrewing & winter weather wear the threads on the frame are now stripped so I have taken the rack off & use with only a nut to keep the fender on. Until I decide on how to reattached the rack I would love to just leave this thing off.

20180429_174011.jpg

The only purpose it seems to serve is an backup retention to keep the wheel from falling out, but I doubt that would ever happen if the nuts are properly tightened.

My CC didn't come with proper rack mount so I rely on the threaded hole this is bolted to. Unfortunately through repeated unscrewing & winter weather wear the threads on the frame are now stripped so I have taken the rack off & use with only a nut to keep the fender on. Until I decide on how to reattached the rack I would love to just leave this thing off.

View attachment 21499
That looks to be a torque arm. From your picture I can't see the hole that slips over the axle, but if it has a flat that slips onto the axle flat, it is a torque arm. There are many shapes and sizes of torque arms and torque washers, all designed to keep the hub motor from spinning free in the soft aluminum frame. An integral part of hub motor ebikes. Both my bikes have them.

Yours looks similar to this one, yours with only one frame hole/fastener.

rear torque arm.JPG

It looks like it, but it's not keyed to the axle so it spins freely on it. There are already torque washers on each side.

I’m pretty sure that it is a torque arm but it’s been a while since I removed the rear wheel on my Cross Current.

It looks like it, but it's not keyed to the axle so it spins freely on it. There are already torque washers on each side.
And there you are. It is insurance against the axle leaving its slot in case someone forgets to tighten axle nuts. A worthy goal in life is to say, "I've got your back," and that is what the little tab is all about, saving someone somewhere someday from an otherwise castastrophic error.

Back