Ordered a new Domane HP today

They look great. When I ordered the purple in January the delivery date eventually went until July.. So I ended up getting the grey and really like the color. I have not ridden it hardly as I went to NC this past weekend and did some mountain biking with my teen grandsons. I am back home now and cannot wait to get some miles in this week.

Whoa, Tyson, nice group! I am really intrigued by that Farr Aero Gravel handlebar on your wife’s bike (already looked it up, had never heard of them). Might be exactly what I need to get my computer off the top tube on my Civante and out front where ibelongs. The way the display, light mount and assist selector are a one piece contraption on this bike, they leave you no room to mount a conventional Garmin/Wahoo mount.

Of course they’re back ordered till August, like everyone else, but I’m thinking this gets ordered right away. Thanks for the idea and I know you guys are going to love those bikes. Top quality stuff there.

Whoa, Tyson, nice group! I am really intrigued by that Farr Aero Gravel handlebar on your wife’s bike (already looked it up, had never heard of them). Might be exactly what I need to get my computer off the top tube on my Civante and out front where ibelongs. The way the display, light mount and assist selector are a one piece contraption on this bike, they leave you no room to mount a conventional Garmin/Wahoo mount.

Of course they’re back ordered till August, like everyone else, but I’m thinking this gets ordered right away. Thanks for the idea and I know you guys are going to love those bikes. Top quality stuff there.
Make sure to study the size and geometry of the bar before you order as you won't be returning it to Australia. I ordered mine from a shop in Australia (check $ exchange rate) named "Pushys" as they had stock (currently they have the 46cm in stock).
Another option of this style is the Redshift Sports Kitchen Sink Bar "with Loop". It can be ordered with or without the Loop. I didn't think this geometry from Redshift was what I wanted so I went with the FARR (which is actually on my bike, not wife's). The Redshift bar has a more complicated geometry with the rise and backsweep. Don't forget to search the multitude of bar extender contraptions that might suit your needs and be easier to install.

So at the shop at delivery. Put six miles on it before I had a Zoom call. I love it. I had never ridden one so I am glad I made the decision! Very strong power and it feels natural. Maybe a bigger chainring in the future? Thanks everyone on this forum for their input.
Still waiting for some first full ride impressions!

So I did a 20 plus miles ride this afternoon with some city and some rural riding. It was a very windy afternoon with 20 mph winds and gust up to 30. This was my first longer ride, I want to say I came away loving it. It was very fast and I used it most of the time in the eco setting with one or two short time in touring, It was so nice to be able to ride into a headwind and not be doing 12 mph. The Domane rode very solid and I like the ride overall. I wonder about the psi on the tires, I have the Schwalbe 35 tires on the Bontrager carbon wheels that come on the HP7 even though this a standard HP bike. I am running 60 psi and I weigh about 165 lbs. Any recommendations about psi? The weight takes some getting used to around town at stop lights but once up to speed you honestly don't notice the extra 20 lbs compared to my non E road bike. Great bike I feel blessed to have it, Btw I started with 86% battery life and finished with around 50%.. I think that is around a 50-60 mile range.

The tires are 35mm so I’m guessing the psi range listed on the sidewall is somewhere between 55-85.

I might be mistaken though.

But at 60psi you’re probably on the very low end of the recommended psi range of the tire. Which is fine.

I’m 140lbs and my tires are 62mm wide and I keep my tires at around 45psi and air down to 23 when on gravel. The recommend psi range listed on the sidewalls of my tires are 23-50.

You certainly have room to increase the psi to 65-68 and you won’t lose much comfort but would “lighten” the weight you’re feeling at stoplights and around town.

I think anything above 70psi would be good for when your riding on glass smooth roads.

The tires are 35mm so I’m guessing the psi range listed on the sidewall is somewhere between 55-85.

I might be mistaken though.

But at 60psi you’re probably on the very low end of the recommended psi range of the tire. Which is fine.

I’m 140lbs and my tires are 62mm wide and I keep my tires at around 45psi and air down to 23 when on gravel. The recommend psi range listed on the sidewalls of my tires are 23-50.

You certainly have room to increase the psi to 65-68 and you won’t lose much comfort but would “lighten” the weight you’re feeling at stoplights and around town.

I think anything above 70psi would be good for when your riding on glass smooth roads.
Thanks you. The sidewall lists I think 45-70 psi. They are tubeless ready but I kept the tubes for now.

How are most of you with the Domane HP liking the seat? I felt it wasn't too bad for a second ride. I think a leather seat would be maybe better and form to my butt over the years. The question with the light on the rear of the seat will any road bike seat work? Thanks agin

The light requires two little screws so you could maybe zip tie thru those holes to the rear of the aftermarket saddle rails. You could also order the rear light from the previous year's Domane+ but it's not as good...

The light requires two little screws so you could maybe zip tie thru those holes to the rear of the aftermarket saddle rails. You could also order the rear light from the previous year's Domane+ but it's not as good...
Thanks

How are most of you with the Domane HP liking the seat? I felt it wasn't too bad for a second ride. I think a leather seat would be maybe better and form to my butt over the years. The question with the light on the rear of the seat will any road bike seat work? Thanks agin
I found the seat to be an amazingly comfortable seat. Read the reviews on Trek site for just this seat. You will find many happy reviews and stories. Why spend years having a leather seat conform to your rear when modern materials conform properly each time you sit on it. If you do want to change, many of the Bontrager seats will have the screw mounts so you have choices. Since the rear light doesn't flash, if you don't plan to ride at night, your best option might be to ditch the light. There are connectors in the seat post. Carefully pull the pins apart and use electrical tape so they don't have a chance of shorting. There is also a place where the wire is clamped in the seatpost and you will need to loosen a screw but this is all super easy and safe, and can always be put back. Pick your choice of flasher to mount wherever you choose.

Note: There is a curved dome piece that is part of the seatpost clamp. Don't let that fallout and get lost, or reassemble it without, or your post won't tighten correctly.

Thanks you. The sidewall lists I think 45-70 psi. They are tubeless ready but I kept the tubes for now.
Go tubeless and then experiment with pressures. Not sure of the profile on the carbon rims, but for the default alloy I used 2 layers of 25mm wide Stan's tape, Peaty's 42mm valves, and Orange Endurance sealant (make sure to shake well right before using). Keep a log in your phone notes of how much sealant you add and when so you know how old it is and when you last added some. So far I have been able to mount every tubeless tire I have dealt with using a normal pump, but you always risk needing a compressor to get it seated. My advice comes with the chance it turns in to a nightmare of sealant everywhere and an unseated tire, but for several wheels now it has gone well for me (except the first time when I had my stem at the bottom and was seating with sealant but without a valve core and blew sealant in my face ... don't do that)

Thank you and I do run tubeless on my mountain bike. I change out or add sealant about every 6-8 months . I have my LBS do the work. Tomorrow I better try to get a good ride in as the weather goes down hill Monday for four days. I will continue to have questions and thanks for everyone’s input .

Thank you and I do run tubeless on my mountain bike. I change out or add sealant about every 6-8 months . I have my LBS do the work. Tomorrow I better try to get a good ride in as the weather goes down hill Monday for four days. I will continue to have questions and thanks for everyone’s input .
Just a quick picture of my bike by my 72 Duster 340

Attachments

• A0C36BA2-6FE1-4053-B995-59077E93BD71.jpeg
    A0C36BA2-6FE1-4053-B995-59077E93BD71.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 264
So after another 22 miles ride. I am loving the bike. It is still a workout and yet I am not exhausted after a ride. I am averaging about 2mph more than my analog bike on a similar route. I would normally average about 16 mph on the route which is hilly and yesterday on 90% Eco setting I was just under 18.5 mph. I decided to post one more picture.

Attachments

• FA24D5FE-97DD-494B-A61F-C49F8ECB43EB.jpeg
    FA24D5FE-97DD-494B-A61F-C49F8ECB43EB.jpeg
    638.4 KB · Views: 261
The Schwalbe One tires on my new HP are not tubeless ready. More of a gravel race tire. Not what I would choose for this bike. Bought some Conti ebike tires but haven't installed. Some beefy tires. Not ready to go tubeless yet.

Back