Ordered a new Domane HP today

Congratulations!

You got yourself one heck of a great bike. Wishing you many miles of smiles. Such a good looking frame and the matte grey too. The GRX components will have you climbing inclines like a goat. Really very very nice.đź‘Ť đź‘Ť

Don’t forget to post after your first ride to let us know the details and first impressions.

It is suppose to be 50 here in Indiana Saturday. We have a had a ton of snow so not sure about the roads yet with salt. I’ll will do thanks !

So picking it up Saturday but here it is getting prepped at my LBS. The carbon wheels are due like Tuesday next week.

You are going to love it. The purple is beautiful but the the Charcoal Grey makes it easy to match with black accessories.

I agonized over what bottle cages to buy. If you don't need a side loading bottle cage, the Specialized Rib Cage II in Matte Black is a nice $25 cage that looks good and holds the bottle securely but not too tight.

Before you leave the LBS with your bike make sure to ask if the firmware for everything is updated.
If you want "Walk Mode" enabled, ask for that as it is disabled by default. Doesn't hurt to have it enabled, and is nice if you are pushing the bike up a steep hill or ramp.
For the Domane+ HP they seem to come default with the light always on, unable to turn off. So ask for it to be changed so you can turn on/off the light.
Also, if you don't need a service reminder, or do your own service, ask that they disable the service reminder. When it gets to the reminder, it pops up every time you turn it on and you can't stop this without taking it back to LBS to have them reset or disable. Be advised, however, that it was a pretty timely reminder and showed up almost exactly when I needed to replace my front brake pads at about 1200 miles. I could easily see people taking the pads down to metal not realizing they can wear so fast (I ride a lot of hills). On this note, with the uncertainty of parts, buy yourself another set or two of brake pads and a couple of chains. They won't go bad and you would hate to miss out on a ride later this summer to find these on backorder.
A few things that were new to me ... the derailleur has a clutch, so know to turn that off when removing the rear wheel or doing something with the chain but also to remember to turn it back on when done. I forgot and had my chain jump off the front ring when I hit a bump at high speed. There is no chain cage on the front single, so it really comes off. Also, the front single ring is special, and the chain needs a particular alignment, which is indicated by a white logo on the back side of the front chain ring. Double check this when you get the bike from your LBS, and then you will also know to check if your replacing your chain on the ring.
For the display, you can customize it to show different combinations of things, so don't forget to do that, including showing the time and battery percentage in a bigger window if you have trouble seeing the small default at the top of the screen when flying down the road.

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
You are going to love it. The purple is beautiful but the the Charcoal Grey makes it easy to match with black accessories.

I agonized over what bottle cages to buy. If you don't need a side loading bottle cage, the Specialized Rib Cage II in Matte Black is a nice $25 cage that looks good and holds the bottle securely but not too tight.

Before you leave the LBS with your bike make sure to ask if the firmware for everything is updated.
If you want "Walk Mode" enabled, ask for that as it is disabled by default. Doesn't hurt to have it enabled, and is nice if you are pushing the bike up a steep hill or ramp.
Also, if you don't need a service reminder, or do your own service, ask that they disable the service reminder. When it gets to the reminder, it pops up every time you turn it on and you can't stop this without taking it back to LBS to have them reset or disable. Be advised, however, that it was a pretty timely reminder and showed up almost exactly when I needed to replace my front brake pads at about 1200 miles. I could easily see people taking the pads down to metal not realizing they can wear so fast (I ride a lot of hills). On this note, with the uncertainty of parts, buy yourself another set or two of brake pads and a couple of chains. They won't go bad and you would hate to miss out on a ride later this summer to find these on backorder.
A few things that were new to me ... the derailleur has a clutch, so know to turn that off when removing the rear wheel or doing something with the chain but also to remember to turn it back on when done. I forgot and had my chain jump off the front ring when I hit a bump at high speed. There is no chain cage on the front single, so it really comes off. Also, the front single ring is special, and the chain needs a particular alignment, which is indicated by a white logo on the back side of the front chain ring. Double check this when you get the bike from your LBS, and then you will also know to check if your replacing your chain on the ring.
For the display, you can customize it to show different combinations of things, so don't forget to do that, including showing the time and battery percentage in a bigger window if you have trouble seeing the small default at the top of the screen when flying down the road.

Enjoy the ride!
Thankyou for your advise. I will relay this to them in the morning.

Slide the battery up and down along the down tube to make sure it doesn't move TOO much. A little slide is okay but if it's like 3-4mm lengthwise, ask them to adjust the upper or lower battery docking a little tighter...

Slide the battery up and down along the down tube to make sure it doesn't move TOO much. A little slide is okay but if it's like 3-4mm lengthwise, ask them to adjust the upper or lower battery docking a little tighter...
Very good advice and it’s the exact same thing I had my lbs do when I picked up my allant last spring. It needed adjusting because it was protruding more than 3-4 mm at the time and had some vertical/lateral movement. I knew from these forums to have them adjust it from the first day and from then on never had a problem.

also @drodg to familiarize yourself with the locking mechanism (number of key turns) and to be sure it is locked use a large/ full length mirror facing the battery side of bike with battery removed while simultaneously turning the key and looking at the lock popping in and out. This way you will be sure it’s locked in the first days of ownership when you won’t be familiar with how many revolutions it takes to lock the battery.

Very good advice and it’s the exact same thing I had my lbs do when I picked up my allant last spring. It needed adjusting because it was protruding more than 3-4 mm at the time and had some vertical/lateral movement. I knew from these forums to have them adjust it from the first day and from then on never had a problem.

also @drodg to familiarize yourself with the locking mechanism (number of key turns) and to be sure it is locked use a large/ full length mirror facing the battery side of bike with battery removed while simultaneously turning the key and looking at the lock popping in and out. This way you will be sure it’s locked in the first days of ownership when you won’t be familiar with how many revolutions it takes to lock the battery.
Thanks everyone. I do appreciate this advice.

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate this advice.
Some more advice on the considerations that are new with an e-bike:
Key - Battery - Computer
Key - Battery - Computer
One more time
Key - Battery - Computer

If you load your bike on a vehicle and forget any one of these your day is ruined. You can't even install the battery without the key.
Also, if it is an away trip DO NOT FORGET THE CHARGER!!! (And a short extension cord can help)
Determine a place where you keep the key and ALWAYS put it back in the same place. Don't leave it sticking out of the bike or you will bend it accidently after you forget you left it there. Don't set the key down anywhere except putting it back where you keep it and you won't lose it.

Some more advice on the considerations that are new with an e-bike:
Key - Battery - Computer
Key - Battery - Computer
One more time
Key - Battery - Computer

If you load your bike on a vehicle and forget any one of these your day is ruined. You can't even install the battery without the key.
Also, if it is an away trip DO NOT FORGET THE CHARGER!!! (And a short extension cord can help)
Determine a place where you keep the key and ALWAYS put it back in the same place. Don't leave it sticking out of the bike or you will bend it accidently after you forget you left it there. Don't set the key down anywhere except putting it back where you keep it and you won't lose it.
Thank you again for the advice

Congrats on the purchase. If they offered the Domane HP+ here in Canada and it had the 28 mph speed then I probably would have gone for that over the Creo.

One of the things I don't like about my Creo is the single ring and the "gappy" cassette. If I had a 500 watt motor I think I'd just go with an 11-30 cassette and rely on the motor on climbs more.

Congrats on the purchase. If they offered the Domane HP+ here in Canada and it had the 28 mph speed then I probably would have gone for that over the Creo.

One of the things I don't like about my Creo is the single ring and the "gappy" cassette. If I had a 500 watt motor I think I'd just go with an 11-30 cassette and rely on the motor on climbs more.
My other choice was the Specialized Creo SL. I liked it, actually quite a bit. I chose the Trek as the LBS is closer and friends own it.

Who made the fenders? Will the frame accept a rack?
Yeah it is designed to accept a Bontrager rear rack. Just make sure you use the right screw lengths and spacers for the upper mounts (they should be included). There are some specific instructions about how to properly install it.

So at the shop at delivery. Put six miles on it before I had a Zoom call. I love it. I had never ridden one so I am glad I made the decision! Very strong power and it feels natural. Maybe a bigger chainring in the future? Thanks everyone on this forum for their input.

Attachments

• D4E487BC-832D-48AC-8C5F-13495EA00C42.jpeg
    D4E487BC-832D-48AC-8C5F-13495EA00C42.jpeg
    650.6 KB · Views: 300
So at the shop at delivery. Put six miles on it before I had a Zoom call. I love it. I had never ridden one so I am glad I made the decision! Very strong power and it feels natural. Maybe a bigger chainring in the future? Thanks everyone on this forum for their input.
Even standing still it looks fast

drodg got me thinking. My wife really likes the purple, but purple is not available until August if ordered now and as we know that can slip to even later. In her size, even the default charcoal grey/black is backordered until August but ... a LBS had her size in stock ready to go. I suggested she consider it now if she wanted to ride this season. So, what could be better than a Domane+ HP? I guess 2 of them!

1615339397428.png

Back