Orbea Gain hub structural failure

rcDavis

Region
USA
City
Marietta, Georgia
I purchased an Orbea Gain M20i in Jan 2020. Last week I thought I had a spoke breakage on the rear “drive” side of the wheel (Mavic Aksium rim). A closer look revealed that the spoke ripped completely through the hub eyelet. Orbea has notified me that their warranty on parts only covers 2 years. My bike is 2.5 years old. The 2 options Orbea has offered are 1) a new wheel, no motor $145 2) or new wheel with motor $679. Since option #1 would mean my bike would no longer be an ebike, my questions revolve around Option #2. My bike has almost 9,000 miles and 309 full battery charges. Battery performance is still good but I have noticed a decline in ride duration time. Would a $679 investment in an ebike this old be wise? It seems like a “buy back/trade in” option would make more sense. I’ve suggested this in an email to Orbea, but haven’t heard back. Other than miscellaneous annoying hub noises the shop suggested we ignore due to supply chain issues during the pandemic, I really like the bike. I would be interested in the thoughts of your forum. Thanks!

Attachments

• OrbeaHubBreakage.jpg
    OrbeaHubBreakage.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 214
Thank you Stefan. I thought the hub and the motor were a sealed unit. Maybe that's what the $145 option to "replace wheel with no motor" means. Would a bike shop be able to open the broken hub, remove the motor and transfer it to the new wheel without a motor? That would definitely work for me! I wonder what the cost would be for doing that. That's an excellent suggestion. I'll look into it. Seems like every bike shop I've gone to is afraid to even go close to the rear hub.

I purchased an Orbea Gain M20i in Jan 2020. Last week I thought I had a spoke breakage on the rear “drive” side of the wheel (Mavic Aksium rim). A closer look revealed that the spoke ripped completely through the hub eyelet. Orbea has notified me that their warranty on parts only covers 2 years. My bike is 2.5 years old. The 2 options Orbea has offered are 1) a new wheel, no motor $145 2) or new wheel with motor $679. Since option #1 would mean my bike would no longer be an ebike, my questions revolve around Option #2. My bike has almost 9,000 miles and 309 full battery charges. Battery performance is still good but I have noticed a decline in ride duration time. Would a $679 investment in an ebike this old be wise? It seems like a “buy back/trade in” option would make more sense. I’ve suggested this in an email to Orbea, but haven’t heard back. Other than miscellaneous annoying hub noises the shop suggested we ignore due to supply chain issues during the pandemic, I really like the bike. I would be interested in the thoughts of your forum. Thanks!

thoughts of your forum
I would use some epoxy and a strip of aluminum, thick enough to give support and attach with several small screws on the top edge of the split.( loosin the spoke and tap the split back down, epoxy) let dry thoroughly.
When tightening that spoke take great care.

If it works you just saved $600, if not, it only cost a little time and a couple of dollars.

On the other hand did you ask the company how much a new casing would cost?
More work for you but if the repair dosn't work I can't imagine a new case would cost that much, maybe even replace only that side of the case?

Thank you Stefan. I thought the hub and the motor were a sealed unit. Maybe that's what the $145 option to "replace wheel with no motor" means. Would a bike shop be able to open the broken hub, remove the motor and transfer it to the new wheel without a motor? That would definitely work for me! I wonder what the cost would be for doing that. That's an excellent suggestion. I'll look into it. Seems like every bike shop I've gone to is afraid to even go close to the rear hub.
Wheel rebuild for a hub motor is a known procedure.
I will exceptionally ask @tomjasz for his opinion. He is a renowned DIY person in this Forum.

I would use some epoxy and a strip of aluminum, thick enough to give support and attach with several small screws on the top edge of the split.( loosin the spoke and tap the split back down, epoxy) let dry thoroughly.
When tightening that spoke take great care.

If it works you just saved $600, if not, it only cost a little time and a couple of dollars.

On the other hand did you ask the company how much a new casing would cost?
More work for you but if the repair dosn't work I can't imagine a new case would cost that much, maybe even replace only that side of the case?
That's worth asking. A new casing, specifically drive side... Loosen spokes all the way, attach new casing and rebuild wheel. Not sure about the epoxy idea but will think about it.

That's worth asking. A new casing, specifically drive side... Loosen spokes all the way, attach new casing and rebuild wheel. Not sure about the epoxy idea but will think about it.
Well it's epoxy AND aluminum strapping the strapping is where the strength is.

Thomas, could you give the OP some information how a new wheel is being rebuilt to accommodate a good existing hub-drive motor?

Yeah , seems like the best solution if casing is available.
BTW it wouldn't be a rebuild, just a re truing of the wheel.

Back