Orbea Gain D40 - loss of assist

mickdronnie

Region
United Kingdom
Hi there. I've had a Gain D40 for 8 months and had over 2,000 miles of enjoyable riding. However, last week I was 2 miles into a ride, powered up and selected level 2 - no assist at all. No flashing iwoc to signify any errors etc. So, pulled over and connected to the Mahle app - everything ok and status was a big green tick. Removed the wheel and checked connector pins - all straight. Cleaned sensor and lock ring. Still no assist. It's now with my local dealer who checked it and said everything is ok. Orbea have asked the dealer for a ride and data collection via Engineering mode which they have done - data to be sent Monday.

Has anybody had this happen to them and if so, how was it rectified? Any suggestions what it could be that we could try?

Thanks in anticipation.

Did you get this sorted Mick? If not, it was most likely the PAS sensor, in the rear chainstay. It may need to be moved closer to the magnets. There is a grubscrew right underneath the stay, undo it, and push/tap the plastic nub that you can see on the side of the chainstay facing out. The face of the sensor should be 3mm from the magnets - I settled for more like 6mm.

Did you get this sorted Mick? If not, it was most likely the PAS sensor, in the rear chainstay. It may need to be moved closer to the magnets. There is a grubscrew right underneath the stay, undo it, and push/tap the plastic nub that you can see on the side of the chainstay facing out. The face of the sensor should be 3mm from the magnets - I settled for more like 6mm.
Hi there Yako (are you "Spanish" Yako?),

It turned into a bit of a farce to be honest. Orbea sent a new PAS sensor, which was duly fitted. Just the 91 miles after, the same thing happened again!! This time, I kicked off big style and demanded either a new bike/money back or all the electrics from switch to motor replaced. We settled on a new motor and another new sensor. So far, I've done a few hundred miles and it's faultless again. Many thanks for the info on the sensor adjustment - much appreciated. If you are "Spanish" Yako, are there any people who actually live in the small towns/villages that you go through - I'm buggered if I've ever seen anybody😆

One and the same Mick - does that mean you are a subscriber? Lol
I’ve spoken to an Orbea guy about this fault - and it’s almost always the PAS sensor. I wonder if it’s a lack of training/distribution of info? The first thing they should check is that the PAS sensor hasn’t been shoved away from the magnets. It’s so easy to do - mine happened when I took the bike for a new gear cable (last time it’s ever going to an LBS tbh) and it came back with no power. The mechanic had inadvertently grabbed the chainstay and the little grub screw was a bit loose. The gap was around 10mm, so no wonder it couldn’t detect the magnets. Once I knew, it was a 15s fix.
Not a lot of people left in the villages, no. Young people move out to bigger towns with jobs and life, leaving a few farming families, who are already up and in the fields by the time I roll through!

Hi there. I've had a Gain D40 for 8 months and had over 2,000 miles of enjoyable riding. However, last week I was 2 miles into a ride, powered up and selected level 2 - no assist at all. No flashing iwoc to signify any errors etc. So, pulled over and connected to the Mahle app - everything ok and status was a big green tick. Removed the wheel and checked connector pins - all straight. Cleaned sensor and lock ring. Still no assist. It's now with my local dealer who checked it and said everything is ok. Orbea have asked the dealer for a ride and data collection via Engineering mode which they have done - data to be sent Monday.

Has anybody had this happen to them and if so, how was it rectified? Any suggestions what it could be that we could try?

Thanks in anticipation.

Back