Gain D40 - loss of assist

mickdronnie

Region
United Kingdom
Hi there. I've had a Gain D40 for 8 months and had over 2,000 miles of enjoyable riding. However, last week I was 2 miles into a ride, powered up and selected level 2 - no assist at all. No flashing iwoc to signify any errors etc. So, pulled over and connected to the Mahle app - everything ok and status was a big green tick. Removed the wheel and checked connector pins - all straight. Cleaned sensor and lock ring. Still no assist. It's now with my local dealer who checked it and said everything is ok. Orbea have asked the dealer for a ride and data collection via Engineering mode which they have done - data to be sent Monday.

Has anybody had this happen to them and if so, how was it rectified? Any suggestions what it could be that we could try?

Thanks in anticipation.

As it's only an issue in level 2, could it be the motor map settings in your app?
Interested to see what mahle find on this. I have the same bike as you.

Hi there,

Sorry, I didn't explain it very well🙂....level 2 just happened to be the one I selected, there is no assist on any level across all the power "profiles".

I wrote a less than complementary email to Orbea support about the lack of any advice/fix given to the bike shop and that seemed to wake them up. They have despatched a new PASS sensor to "see if that is the problem", which doesn't fill me with confidence - they don't know why if it is a faulty sensor it didn't generate an error code. It's still in warranty and I've told the bike shop if this doesn't fix it, I'll be asking for a new bike as a replacement. I'll update once the sensor is fitted.
As it's only an issue in level 2, could it be the motor map settings in your app?
Interested to see what mahle find on this. I have the same bike as you.

Good to hear they are doing something, albeit not much. Bike shops in general seem way too reluctant to fix these problems. Yet reality is that any tech worth a bit of salt should be able to find the issue. It's a motor, a battery, a sensor ring and sensor along with a good few connections. I think that the amount of labour time involved is what deters them. Shame really as once 5hey get to know the bikes, fault finding becomes a lot faster.

Good news is new PASS sensor fitted and everything working ok again - picking the bike up tomorrow. I have asked if I need to buy a few of these and have them handy in my workshop......a bit like inner tubes! 🙂. Let's see how long this one lasts for.

Good news is new PASS sensor fitted and everything working ok again - picking the bike up tomorrow. I have asked if I need to buy a few of these and have them handy in my workshop......a bit like inner tubes! 🙂. Let's see how long this one lasts for.
Bad news is that the fix only lasted 91 miles before the same thing happened again. It's now back in the dealers and I've told them I never want to see that particular bike again - either a new bike or full refund. The irony of Orbea's new slogan of "the many faces of joy" is not lost on me!!

I don't blame you on insisting a new bike. Dealers need to stand behind their products at these prices. And if they claim to fix a fault, should be able to explain what was wrong with the old component that failed. Then we might have more hope they have actually repaired the problem.

Hope this works out for you.

Hi there. I've had a Gain D40 for 8 months and had over 2,000 miles of enjoyable riding. However, last week I was 2 miles into a ride, powered up and selected level 2 - no assist at all. No flashing iwoc to signify any errors etc. So, pulled over and connected to the Mahle app - everything ok and status was a big green tick. Removed the wheel and checked connector pins - all straight. Cleaned sensor and lock ring. Still no assist. It's now with my local dealer who checked it and said everything is ok. Orbea have asked the dealer for a ride and data collection via Engineering mode which they have done - data to be sent Monday.

Has anybody had this happen to them and if so, how was it rectified? Any suggestions what it could be that we could try?

Thanks in anticipation.
I have posted a similar thread but just noticed yours, I have had this problem twice now, flashing pink light the first time but not the second. The charge was 95% but range shows zero and 44 charge cycles (the bike can easily do 65+ miles on one charge). I did clean the sensor ring and PAS the first time but did no good. The bike is currently with a dealer who tells me it needs a new battery!! Did you say there is a way of moving the PAS closer to the ring?

I have posted a similar thread but just noticed yours, I have had this problem twice now, flashing pink light the first time but not the second. The charge was 95% but range shows zero and 44 charge cycles (the bike can easily do 65+ miles on one charge). I did clean the sensor ring and PAS the first time but did no good. The bike is currently with a dealer who tells me it needs a new battery!! Did you say there is a way of moving the PAS closer to the ring?
Hi there - sorry for not replying sooner but been on holiday. If you look under the rear right hand side of the frame close to the drop out you'll see a small (2mm) grub screw. You'll also see the end of the sensor attachment itself. Undo the grub screw - it may already be loose causing your problem! - and push in the sensor until it's close to the magnets on the lock ring. I think the spec says 3mm (?) but close enough is good enough. Then tighten up the grub screw and give it a whirl.

Back