Orbea Gain/ebikemotion app comprehension issues

CLHall

Hi all...
I found this forum while trying to talk myself into an ebike, the info here helped (so thanks)...I have a nerve issue in my back that made riding FREAKING MISERABLE after 15 or 20 miles, depending on the hills and I spent I don’t know how much time and money trying to fit my traditional bike so that I could ride comfortably (as well as treat my back)...to no avail. I finally gave up and bought an Orbea Gain M201i. My quick review is that it rocks. It does just what I want it to...I rarely ride it off the “level 1” assist, which is just enough to take the edge off my back. I still work at it, it isn’t a gimme, but I don’t hate life after 30 miles like before. Everyone wins!
So my issue is with the app, which I don’t get. Keep in mind, I barely understand Spotify, so speak slowly and clearly. I have it downloaded, and it has been working correctly (I guess), it pairs with my bike each time I turn the bike on (but unpairs if the bike is off). However, on a large ride this weekend I found that the bike kept moving me from “assisted” to off...(the bike would turn itself to level 0). The app was on, and the bike had plenty of battery. If I clicked it back on, it would hold it’s level of assist for a while, then pop back to 0. I feel like it is possible that the app was losing it’s connection and unpairing? Is that possible?
Second, somewhere I saw an “enable auto assist” button...which was clicked (by default) on. I now can’t find it (sitting here looking at the app while on my couch, with the app unpaired). EIther that button has disappeared or I can’t find it again, but I never knew what that did in the first place.
Anyone? Thanks for any insight from this un-tech savvy person.

CL, app can lose connection during ride, it seems to happen with me when riding under overhead power lines? However it should not effect in anyway power from the bike being delivered. You don't need the app connected to use the assist function. The auto assist function, gives you the option of setting your Heart Rates. The idea is assist will kick in automatically (on hills) when HR reaches a predicted level. Tried it once, didn't like it. It was slow to react, only coming in after cresting the hills. I've since turned the option off. The app is being updated regularly, so make sure you ride with the latest version? I must add, the app is much more stable now and has improved a great deal. Happy you are enjoying the Gain, I too love it. Going to get the D version for next winter, as the carbon frame doesn't have mudguard fittings.

CL, app can lose connection during ride, it seems to happen with me when riding under overhead power lines? However it should not effect in anyway power from the bike being delivered. You don't need the app connected to use the assist function. The auto assist function, gives you the option of setting your Heart Rates. The idea is assist will kick in automatically (on hills) when HR reaches a predicted level. Tried it once, didn't like it. It was slow to react, only coming in after cresting the hills. I've since turned the option off. The app is being updated regularly, so make sure you ride with the latest version? I must add, the app is much more stable now and has improved a great deal. Happy you are enjoying the Gain, I too love it. Going to get the D version for next winter, as the carbon frame doesn't have mudguard fittings.

Got it. When I turned the app on, it was picking up someone’s HR monitor.. I don’t wear one. Now I can’t find that option to turn it off?
I do find the app a bit cumbersome and not intuitive... but I don’t have any such intuition, so no big surprise there!

CL, open app. Go to settings, scroll down to Heart Rate settings, on right hand side is button slide it over to left in order to switch off HR Monitor. Hope this helps?

CL, open app. Go to settings, scroll down to Heart Rate settings, on right hand side is button slide it over to left in order to switch off HR Monitor. Hope this helps?
It was the “enable auto assist” I couldn’t find... but when I went to switch off the HR monitor (duh, lol!) there it was! Thank you!

Back