Options for carrying spare battery?

Yamahonian

My primary bike is a BH Rebel Lynx full suspension. As a result of the recent clearinghouse on BH bikes (thanks @FlatSix911 ), I now have a spare battery to bring around with me. I am thinking what the best option is to carry it around, and come here for advice.

Obviously carrying the battery on a rear rack is the best option, but I do not have an option for a rear rack (explained below).

I can think of two options -

I read a post with a guy that used a Salsa EXP Anything cradle, stuffed the spare into a big piece of foam, and carried it by strapping it to the cradle. This looks simple, but I am wary of the handling of the bike with the battery so high up. Also, if the system fails and the battery falls out from that height, the battery is toast.

I could get an Old Man Mountain front rack. My options would then be to carry the spare in a pannier, or a trunk bag on top of the front rack. Obviously the pannier would result in keeping the weight lower than a trunk bag, but also be more prone to getting damaged if the bike falls over or crashes vs. a trunk bag.

Old Man Mountain can make my bike a front rack, but not a rear rack. The Thule Pack n' Pedal rack is an option, but I have read nothing but bad reviews. Topeak also makes a velcro strap-on rear rack, but I am skeptical of the quality. So - I conclude there is no way to attach a rear rack to my bike.

Seatpost racks aren't going to work because I have a dropper post. They don't recommend clamping anything to the upper stanchion, and I don't want to limit the dropper travel anyway. I saw a couple of posts with guys carrying spare batteries in saddle bags, that wouldn't work either for the same reason.

Thanks for reading what turned out to be an unexpectedly long post. Please let me know what you think.

My primary bike is a BH Rebel Lynx full suspension. As a result of the recent clearinghouse on BH bikes (thanks @FlatSix911 ), I now have a spare battery to bring around with me. I am thinking what the best option is to carry it around, and come here for advice.

Obviously carrying the battery on a rear rack is the best option, but I do not have an option for a rear rack (explained below).

I read a post with a guy that used a Salsa EXP Anything cradle, stuffed the spare into a big piece of foam, and carried it by strapping it to the cradle. This looks simple, but I am wary of the handling of the bike with the battery so high up. Also, if the system fails and the battery falls out from that height, the battery is toast.

I could get an Old Man Mountain front rack. My options would then be to carry the spare in a pannier, or a trunk bag on top of the front rack. Obviously the pannier would result in keeping the weight lower than a trunk bag, but also be more prone to getting damaged if the bike falls over or crashes vs. a trunk bag.

Old Man Mountain can make my bike a front rack, but not a rear rack. The Thule Pack n' Pedal rack is an option, but I have read nothing but bad reviews. Topeak also makes a velcro strap-on rear rack, but I am skeptical of the quality. So - I conclude there is no way to attach a rear rack to my bike.

Seatpost racks aren't going to work because I have a dropper post. They don't recommend clamping anything to the upper stanchion, and I don't want to limit the dropper travel anyway. I saw a couple of posts with guys carrying spare batteries in saddle bags, that wouldn't work either for the same reason.

Thanks for reading what turned out to be an unexpectedly long post. Please let me know what you think.
I have a couple spare batteries, long ones too. I now use a pannier, but they barely fit. I really like the idea of a cinch roll like this:
There are some others available. I just haven't moved on it yet.

What do you think about the handling of the bike with the weight of the battery so high up in a handlebar roll? Also, if that bag fails for whatever reason, the battery has a long fall to hit the floor, and will likely crack open?

I thought about this too

Duck tape, she holds the world together.

However you decide to mount it, mount it low so as not to make the bike top heavy and unstable.

Not sure if there is room to fit your battery in the frame but lowest center of gravity is the ideal location. On my Large 27.5" HT I noticed a spare would fit. On my Medium 29er HT it would not. Would probably have to go on the top of the frame. Obviously would need to find the appropriate way to mount. Bungee for illustration purposes only. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20200302_203003.jpg
    IMG_20200302_203003.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_20200302_203147.jpg
    IMG_20200302_203147.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_20200302_203210.jpg
    IMG_20200302_203210.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 533
Not sure if there is room to fit your battery in the frame but the lowest center of gravity is the ideal location. On my Large 27.5" HT I noticed a spare would fit.
On my Medium 29er HT it would not. Would probably have to go on the top of the frame. Obviously would need to find the appropriate way to mount. Bungee for illustration purposes only. :D
I don't think attaching it on the handlebar is going to be a good idea since it will affect your handling drastically considering how heavy the battery is.
This is exactly why some bike companies attach front basket directly on the frame, not the handlebar. So that it won't affect the handling and much safer.

It is increasing the unsprung weight and every time you hit a bump, the weight will move with the suspension.
This is a good idea because the rear rack is independent from the suspension. It is not affecting the rear suspension and unsprung mass.

Well done! Here are a few additional ideas in this thread:

Last edited:
Did more testing tonight and I think this may end up being my ideal solution with a little more friction. Just enough friction to hold in place for a pic but with neoprene sleeve will likely secure with friction and a couple straps.

I also tried mounting higher to simulate hanging from top tube with frame bag but felt too top heavy. Mounting lower made a world of difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20200305_003053.jpg
    IMG_20200305_003053.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 705
You could probably do that with some sort of mounting bracket clamped to bottom of the frame. Would still need straps to hold the battery securely since it's mounted upside down. I simulated with packing tape to see if there was enough clearance for the front fork and there seemed to be just enough as it's an entry level fork without a lot of travel. That said it didn't seem practical for a spare mounting solution for several reasons. First, I'd need to find a mounting bracket which I couldn't find any obvious ones for yamaha battery. Second, the mounting bracket might interfere with the primary mount. Third,, it seemed like it would be more difficult to mount and unmount upside down. I was just looking for a simple KISS solution that wouldn't involve a lot of effort and was excited to see how snugly it fit in the frame when I turned the spare backward.

Hello, I am the guy using the salsa exp handlebar cage on my trek powerfly I can attest it works great over multiple rides.......gravel and trail. I don't notice it at all. If your battery is more than 8 pounds though that will exceed the manufacture recommended weight limit.

First 2 photos: Old Man Mountain front rack mounted on a Bluto suspension fork. Ortlieb Office Bag, Large. This was my go-to day tripping short and long distance setup. I do not recommend putting a heavy battery into a bag like this. This picture was taken during a run up the local canal towpaths, a day when I was determined to see how many miles I could squeeze out of my single 400wh battery. This run convinced me that the way to go was to have more battery power with me on these long runs.

The next 2 pictures show the new Old Man Mountain rear rack installed, with Ortlieb E-Mate panniers which are made specifically to handle the load of an ebike battery. These pictures were taken on a 96 mile run I did and within those 2 rear E-Mates I am carrying 2 500wh Yamaha batteries. I'm pretty pleased with the E-Mates.

Regards to Post #5 here, there must be several million miles worth of bicycle tourists who have traveled all over the world, in all kinds of conditions, with panniers attached to racks that are bolted to the front fork. It's as simple as adapting to the new handling feel that extra weight brings.

Attachments

• 100_3317.JPG
    100_3317.JPG
    657.4 KB · Views: 676
  • 100_3239.JPG
    100_3239.JPG
    939.8 KB · Views: 554
  • 100_4069.JPG
    100_4069.JPG
    559 KB · Views: 548
  • 100_4078.JPG
    100_4078.JPG
    719.9 KB · Views: 782

@Mike TowpathTraveler has an excellent setup.

If that doesn't work, EVOC makes E-bike specific backpack. See below.

Version 3 tonight. Think this may work better for me with more points of friction to balance out the stress.

1583470011826.png

UPDATES!

I pulled the trigger on the Old Man Mountain front rack.

Now I trying to decide how I should carry the spare on the rack.

Obviously, keeping the spare lower in a panniere would distribute the weight a bit lower to the ground. But the battery seems pretty vulnerable in a panniere if I get distracted by a nice view and end up having a fall off the bike.

So, I am now thinking of putting the spare yamaha 500wH battery in a trunk bag, or possibly a hard case, and strapping to the top of the rack. I don't see how the battery would get damaged on top of the rack if I am too busy looking at a waterfall to pay attention to the trail.

Old Man Mountain says with up to 20 pounds of weight total on the front, the impact on handling should be pretty negligible as long as I distribute the weight evenly.

There is basically no option to carry weight anywhere else on my bike - a full suspension with dropper post eliminates seatpost bags, there is zero space inside the frame for any frame bag, and OMM doesn't make a rear rack for BH split pivot bikes.

Any comments, suggestions, etc.? Also looking for an appropriate trunk bag/case/etc. to carry the spare battery. A yamaha measures 14.5" wide.

Back