Optimizing the E-Joe Epik Se

--------
Psych III,
I too have already experienced a leak in the front tube ... no nail or thorn visible, but it was losing 10psi/day. I put four oz of "green stuff" in it, and it seems to hold now ... BUT, when I installed the Green Stuff in the rear tube, the tube blew violently a few minutes after inflation to 60 psi! I can only assume the tube was faulty, as it was VERY thin in the 4" long section the blew, yet, when checking other cross section areas (messy job) the tube was thicker. I had a spare tube, and hope it holds, as its the same Kenda model tube as oem. I DO plan to buy better tubes soon.

That said, I must disagree regarding a few xtra pounds at the rear ... pinch flats are NOT caused by a few pounds of xtra weight, but rather, from too low a pressure for the terrain and weight. I'd guess they would not occur with a 225lb rider like me if pressures of over 4o psi is maintained, but I prefer higher pressures since the bike will roll easier, and perhaps I'd get better battery range as well.

Interesting, I knew that the terrain and PSI were the major contributing factors to pinch flats but your saying that weight does not impact this. Curious, some cyclists deliberately increase the psi in the rear tube simply because there is more weight bearing on the rear tube which may or may not decrease psi more dramatically. It appears you are supporting that weight does not contribute to pinch flats. I think I see what your saying.

I believe that it was a wise move in taking off the rear rack and was not aware that it weighed well over a pound; wow! The reason I condone your wise decision is because of the flat tire I experienced as a result of a pinched tube that I recently experienced. I did some research and found that many e-bikes experience pinched tube flats as a result of the heavy rear hub motors (my flat was on the rear tube). It seems that taking off the rear rack may help prevent those types of flats as it would take off a little extra weight increasing the risk of a rear flat. Ultimately, I will definitely be avoiding potholes, large bumps, debris, and especially going up steep curbs as this will largely increase the chances of a pinched tube flat. As an extra precaution, I also "optimized" my ejoe epik se by adding kevlar linings and Mr. Tuffies thorn resistant tubes to prevent any future flats

1 lb is a rounding error when you consider the weight of the bike and the weight of the rider. And I've done the exact opposite of removing the rack. I have it loaded up with a u-lock, some tools, a couple spare tubes, and (for long rides) a second battery! The Epik SE battery is around 5 or 6lbs, so I'm probably carrying nearly 10lbs of extra stuff on my rides. And I'm also not a lightweight rider. :) I keep the rear tire inflated to near 60psi, and the front tire inflated to around 50psi.

I guess the question is, what do you intend to use the electric assist for? Because obviously if exercise was the only motivation, a regular bike would suffice. But, there are of course legitimate reasons to go electric, even if exercise is a goal.

One reason to use electric assist is to tackle hills, especially if you are not in shape and just climbing back on a bike for the first time in a long time. This is what motivated me to get an electric bike, the belief that the electric motor assistance would help me overcome my lack of enthusiasm for tackling the hilly terrain where I live. So far so good on that front. Other than when I was sick a couple weeks ago, I've ridden every week, usually several times. This compares to not riding a bike for 15 years prior. I find the Epik SE climbs hills well, even without the electric assist compared to other bikes I have, but not being in the best shape, the electric assist is what gives me the ability to go on long bike rides without wearing myself out on the hills. I do know what you mean about the minimal resistance with pedal assistance on the Epik SE (even on slight inclines). I haven't experimented with this yet, but I'm thinking maybe turning pedal assist off in these situations and judiciously applying throttle when needed could be a good compromise between having some assistance but still getting some resistance for exercise? Not sure how well that would work, but it's a thought.

Of course, another reason to use electric assist would be if you have a lot of stop/start (intersections) where you ride, using the electric motor to more easily get you up to speed (and faster). If you are on relatively flat terrain in this case, again, just using the throttle only when needed instead of pedal assist might be the way to go. I did this when I was biking a trail a few weeks ago. I rode many miles with no assistance at all, and just used the throttle to get going when crossing roads. Of course, this would also help extend range on a long bike ride when you might want more assistance on the back end of the ride.

Sounds smart. I like it. Haven't thought of only turning on the handler. I too find electric assist very helpful in safely crossing roads. I like where your going with this!

Sounds smart. I like it. Haven't thought of only turning on the handler. I too find electric assist very helpful in safely crossing roads. I like where your going with this!
I also like to know that if the chain eventually starts to pop frequently on a long ride I'll have the option of using only handler mode until I have the time or motivation to get the chain repaired when I feel like it.

Back