Opinion on Rad Runner Single Speed Drive Train

DrJay

I am seeking the experience of Rad Runner users on the single speed setup. I am interested in the Runner for utility use. The Rad Wagon is more than I need. I have a Qualisports Volador with a 350 watt/40 nm motor vs the Runner 750 watt/80 nm. The Volador is 40 lbs vs the Runner 60 lbs. Living in Florida, I can ride the Volador easily in the highest gear (14 tooth) with a 52 tooth chainring using power level 1 with occasional blips of the throttle on inclines (can't really call them hills). The Runner has a 16 tooth sprocket with a 52 tooth chainring. My intended use is grocery shopping/light errands, flat terrain, total trip distance 10-15 miles. I thought of the Runner Plus but I have no need for the passenger package and given the fact that I ride sidewalks and smooth pavement the fork is not a necessity for me. I do plan to upgrade the seat post and seat. Experience and feedback on likes/dislikes of the single speed would be appreciated.

I don't have a Radrunner, but I have a singlespeed ebike (eglide) and live in SW Florida (Venice). I also have a multispeed Orbea. Although I love the Orbea, for us in Florida a single speed makes tons of sense. They are simple and require almost no maintenance and make riding a bike a lot more fun. Instead of spending your time adjusting gears and cleaning them you can enjoy riding the way we did when we were kids and weren't gearheads. What few disadvantages a singlespeed may have go away when the bike is electric.

Thanks for the feedback. I think anywhere but Florida and a single speed would be a non-starter for me. I have been riding my Qualisports Volador in PAS 1 using only the 14 tooth cop and it has been very doable except for some longer inclines.

you might have better luck posting this on Rad Power Forum

Thanks for the suggestion. Curiously I did post this first on the Rad Forums. The post received over 50 views (last time I checked) but not one reply. ???

Back