Oops ... rear mech/hanger crash damage Vado SL 5

fatshark

Region
United Kingdom
City
The Howling Wildernes
My evening ride today included a low speed crash. Although I thought nothing was damaged (on the bike ... my elbow is sore!) the indexing of the gears was clearly a problem. Closer inspection of the rear mech shows that it is now out of alignment. There's damage to the outside of the mech and the cage and rollers are bent inwards. The bike is rideable (I did another 35 km after falling off) but I clearly need to get it fixed.

I'm a long way from any form of bike shop, and 100+ miles from a Specialized dealer. Have any readers seen similar damage?

Is it likely that the hanger is bent, or is it more likely to be the rear mech? I've probably got sufficient mechanical skill to replace these (if I can get the parts shipped).

These pics aren't great as I took them on the ride. I'll try and have a much closer look tomorrow in better light.

PXL_20220715_192922485.jpg

PXL_20220715_192930211.jpg

PXL_20220715_192948139.jpg

I took a minor tumble on my Creo and while I did not realize I had bent the derailleur hanger, I did. My chain kept jumping off and landing between the chainring and motor housing where it would jam.

Shop was just able to bend it back into position. Good luck

i have never been able to tell just by looking, but the hanger is designed to be the weakest link for just this reason. it should bend before anything breaks. if it were me and i were far from a shop i’d order a new hanger, replace it, and then go through the adjustment procedure for the derailleur.

Looks like the lower arm/bracket is out of line, the bottom is pushed in toward the wheel. You might bend this out and see if that works, you may need to make a minor adjustment to the shift lever. Eyeball from behind to see that everything is in line, the chain should run straight from the chainring to the freewheel cog, upper and lower pulleys. The shop will have the alignment tool to check the upper bracket and correct and adjust as needed. This is fixable.

Definitely the hanger. You can try a hanger alignment tool. If you were closer, I have one :) If the hanger is too far bent, then trying to align it will cause it to break. In which case you will need to buy a new hanger. They are pretty cheap.

Thanks everyone ... the stars have aligned and I happen to be driving past the LBS (which is 2 hours away, not Specialized which is 5 hours away ... ) on Wednesday and I'm going to leave it in their capable hands.

All now fixed for a very satisfactory £20 ...
PXL_20220722_155227832.jpg

... though the trip to the LBS did cost me an additional £120 on other 'essentials' ;) .

Back