Oops BBS01 broke my Nexus 8 IGH

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
I'd read online about this possibility but right now it's making a horrible crunching noise in gears 4-6. Lasted just 6 months, even with a gear sensor. 36v controller set to 18A to 648w peak power. Going to have the shop fit a spare Nexus 8 wheel, if it breaks that one too I'll have to rethink.

Rethink to a hub motor like the Grin GMAC....see recent forum string on that motor. Powerful mid-drives really do wear out drive train components faster and those are not always low cost to replace like your geared hub.

On the presumption that a bad Workman blames his tools perhaps the thread title is a bit misleading, I’m 230lb riding home up steep hills from the river so it could just be my weight rather than the motor that is the problem. I would miss the convenience of the IGH.

I'm 170 lb, I carry 60 lb supplies up grades to 15%, the bike was 63 lb before electric addition. The "1200 w" geared front hub motor is holding up, the 24 speed foot pedal drive is holding up. 3000 miles on the pedal parts. The rear sprocket cluster is shimano, but the shifters are SRAM. Much more precise than those 7 speed shimano shifter MTBs they sell in discount stores.
Shimano Allfine is one of the more reputable 8 speed IGH. Don't buy the Sturmey Archer S80 IGH, it has shifter pawl pop-off problems and the low gear is too high (direct).

I'd read online about this possibility but right now it's making a horrible crunching noise in gears 4-6. Lasted just 6 months, even with a gear sensor. 36v controller set to 18A to 648w peak power. Going to have the shop fit a spare Nexus 8 wheel, if it breaks that one too I'll have to rethink.
Wow! An undersized BBS01 , compared to the market, mid drive destroyed an IGH? I’m struggling with that idea. Unless you shifted hard and under a heavy load, that would be hard to do. In my experience at least. I have 3 running BBS01 soon adding two more and having sold many... there seem to be more to the story from my experience.EDIT, reread your post, unless the GS failed I think it may have been a marginal IGH, unrelated to the motor. Weird. I’m really curious. I’d call it a fluke. Does not compute...

I'm 170 lb, I carry 60 lb supplies up grades to 15%, the bike was 63 lb before electric addition. The "1200 w" geared front hub motor is holding up, the 24 speed foot pedal drive is holding up. 3000 miles on the pedal parts. The rear sprocket cluster is shimano, but the shifters are SRAM. Much more precise than those 7 speed shimano shifter MTBs they sell in discount stores.
Shimano Allfine is one of the more reputable 8 speed IGH. Don't buy the Sturmey Archer S80 IGH, it has shifter pawl pop-off problems and the low gear is too high (direct).
There is a significant difference in the strain factor on the IGH, comparing the front hub motor -vs- crank motor.

Last edited:
I rode a Nexus 8 / BBS02 combo for 3 seasons. I really liked the IGH but now that I am back on an indexed derailleur setup (with a rear hub motor) it's not so bad. I just shift down while coming to a stop instead of waiting until I am already stopped. I am amazed at the accuracy and reliability on a modern shifter setup; basically no maintenance required until an annual tune and I don't think I've had a single missed shift.

Took the bike and my spare Nexus wheel into the shop this morning and the swap was fairly straightforward once we figured out I had a different size sprocket that also needed swapping over, and wrestling with the chainglider a bit. Now to wait for the bad news, hoping it’s just the axle and not the internal assembly that needs replacing.

Go to the 5 speed or 3 speed IGH. They'll be stronger.

Update: Spare Nexus hub is still working fine after 2 months, just picked up the original hub, the shop took the internals out of the hub shell but could not see any metal fragments or even discolored grease which was still white, they reassembled the hub and I'm back on the original hub so we'll see if it behaves itself or starts slipping and making a graunching noise again.

Back