OMG Am I losing it?

If I had a dollar for every battery support call where the builder had no way to measure voltage I could own one of those overpriced eBike you ride. ;) I just deleted my support email box. 14,000 emails.:oops:

Cheapo 🤣
Screenshot_20211209-051751_BLEvo.jpg

I’m struggling to make a decision. After a few more falls I’m wondering if I should take a closer look at trikes. But it’s hard to admit that may be the route. 3 falls were slinging my leg over a conventional frame. I’m much steadier mounting and dismounting a step through. I did test ride a Bosch/Trek and it was great, BUT no throttle. Diminishing health and serious mobility issues rule and unordered to get home when tired out means a throttle.
I’m liking my MAC 10T and still have a couple BBS01A but there’s no parts stream. I gifted my Smoothie flat foot with a TDDZ2 and EM3EV dolphin pack to a older fellow with greatly diminished finances.
I still have 2 MAC, 2 MXUS, and a GBK motor. A step through frame tough enough for 2WD would be cool.
Having a procedure this week trying to ease the pain from stenosis and Periferal neuropathy.
The golden years…
Thank jeebus! I had way to much fun getting this far. I’d do it all again.

Your problem, Tom, is that ebiking is also a job. I retired long ago, and ebiking is just a hobby.

Every year, I put together another ebike, and I get more and more frugal. This year I got a used $45 front motor. Sort of like stone soup. Everything starts off low cost and has to be replaced. I bought a Walmart cruiser for $169.

I had extra electrics from past projects, already paid for, sitting around. However, the old KT controller blew up, so I had to order a new one. OEM kickstand was flimsy, Ordered a new one. The freewheel threads were machined crooked, so it wobbles and clatters the chain. It goes wocka wowka wocka. I ordered a new rear hub last week. Hopefully the hub will fit the old spokes. Otherwise, new spokes too. I have a nice new Hailong battery that I never installed. On the bike now is a used scooter pack, 36V10AH for $23. I get about 16 miles out of it, The brakes suck, but I don't go fast enough to notice, The new rear hub will allow me to fit a disk. I've got those parts too, and I can fab a bracket to hold the calipers.

Ah, but it's comfy, and no one rides a cruiser with high bars on the bike paths. Well, there are some pastel bikes, but none are electric.

That;s ice on the creek, just a mile from home., but it will be 60 this week.

PC090589.JPG

After a few more falls I’m wondering if I should take a closer look at trikes.
1639387358017.png

My disabled neighbour rides this e-trike. He cannot walk but he can climb onto the saddle using both his hands. It is a throttle only e-trike with a massive Direct Drive motor in the front wheel. The neighbour mounts two very heavy Li-Ion batteries onto the rear wire-basket. (I don't know how good his brakes are). The e-trike is perfectly lit (I can see the guy riding even at night!). He has put the sign "Don't honk" recently. He told me his e-trike could speed up to 100 km/h originally but the guy is reasonable and ordered a speed limiter for 45 km/h (28 mph).

Your problem, Tom, is that ebiking is also a job. I retired long ago, and ebiking is just a hobby.
Thanks HarryS!
Exactly why I gave up the CS work. I’ve lost my sense of humor. I’m completely worn out. It’s time for me to sell off my welders and bike building tools. I’m tempted by factt to pry bikes for the same reason I’m an Apple MacBook user after building a dozen Windows OS towers. I got tired of the foibles of “Windoze” OS and have never had an issue with OS X. Then I look at yours, Petaluma, Dewey and other builders here I flip back to my builds. Maybe I’ll find joy and fun again. Thanks, as usual, for your insights. Your builds are extremely noteworthy! Your assistance to other builders is fantastic!

View attachment 109142
My disabled neighbour rides this e-trike. He cannot walk but he can climb onto the saddle using both his hands. It is a throttle only e-trike with a massive Direct Drive motor in the front wheel. The neighbour mounts two very heavy Li-Ion batteries onto the rear wire-basket. (I don't know how good his brakes are). The e-trike is perfectly lit (I can see the guy riding even at night!). He has put the sign "Don't honk" recently. He told me his e-trike could speed up to 100 km/h originally but the guy is reasonable and ordered a speed limiter for 45 km/h (28 mph).
Studded tires?

Tom what do you think about owning/buying one of those nice trikes that were put up on a thread a month or so ago? Maybe PedaLuma put one up. The wheels canted over as a part of steering as I recall.

Tom what do you think about owning/buying one of those nice trikes that were put up on a thread a month or so ago? Maybe PedaLuma put one up. The wheels canted over as a part of steering as I recall.
I missed a trek pure trikes locally by a few hours. I’d a great trike but covid has made them unabtanium.

Well, if we all knew exactly what you would like and how far from your location is acceptable, maybe we could keep our collective eyes out for you.

Looking for that thread with high functioning trikes and came across this.

I’m struggling to make a decision. After a few more falls I’m wondering if I should take a closer look at trikes. But it’s hard to admit that may be the route. 3 falls were slinging my leg over a conventional frame. I’m much steadier mounting and dismounting a step through.
I gave up "men's" frames age 62. I still have balance, my reaction time is okay, but muscles get stiffer past age 55. I trip a lot more than I used to: walking I don't lift the foot properly anymore. Mounting a men's frame It hurts to put a leg over the seat & baskets, and I'm dancing around on one foot during the process. Dangerous. Besides when I bought used, the "girl's" bikes are not worn out and haven't been left out in the rain to rust. I gave up used MTB's & cruisers age 67; **** things kept throwing me over the handlebars on my chin. This stretch frame has been a steady ride for 3 11/12 years now.
I miss my Mac12t though. I've have bought a pallet of 8 already ( minimum buy from factory) if the part numbers weren't so poorly specified. The last one cost $740 and a pallet of 8 is $1600 allegedly. The last one had a bad clutch from day 1; probably a warrenty return. Had a stupid ASI harness suitable for the Altacama desert where it never rains, perhaps.
Hope your life steadies out. Pity the cars are such a rip off now, I'm slowing down enough to maybe need one. I'm not buying any vehicle that is doomed to check engine light disease in 11 years. My heart is probably good for 4 times that. The events in Kentucky last weekend just go to prove how obsolete motor vehicles are.

Last edited:
I’m struggling to make a decision. After a few more falls I’m wondering if I should take a closer look at trikes. But it’s hard to admit that may be the route. 3 falls were slinging my leg over a conventional frame. I’m much steadier mounting and dismounting a step through. I did test ride a Bosch/Trek and it was great, BUT no throttle. Diminishing health and serious mobility issues rule and unordered to get home when tired out means a throttle.
I’m liking my MAC 10T and still have a couple BBS01A but there’s no parts stream. I gifted my Smoothie flat foot with a TDDZ2 and EM3EV dolphin pack to a older fellow with greatly diminished finances.
I still have 2 MAC, 2 MXUS, and a GBK motor. A step through frame tough enough for 2WD would be cool.
Having a procedure this week trying to ease the pain from stenosis and Periferal neuropathy.
The golden years…
Thank jeebus! I had way to much fun getting this far. I’d do it all again.

Tom,
Your safety is number one priority. The heck with efficiency, cosmetics, and what’s “in”.
I’m totally hooked on step throughs. Real step throughs, not mid-steps marketed as a step thru.
My Aventon Pace has nice step through and a throttle. Also the seat can be lowered enough so touching the ground at a stop is possible. Not as efficient on the legs but again safety takes priority.
Depending on your location and budget maybe a Pedego would fit your needs? They also make a nice looking e-trike.
Whatever keeps us out there! Speedy recovery from your procedure.

Back