old poll

Can you avoid the main roads starting from home?

• I can avoid most main roads starting from home

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • I have to ride a couple of miles and then I have access to paths & trails

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I have to ride more than 10 miles to gain access to paths and trails

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I usually put my bike on the car and then drive to a place where there are paths & trails

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Some of the re-striping in my area is on streets that aren't that busy, that had wide vehicle lanes and ridiculously skinny bike lanes. In this case, they added buffer striping, narrowing the auto lanes. It is better. In many cases, though, especially with busy arterials, the best solution is to widen the road to create safe, separated bike space.

3 short miles of residential streets for me to get to my university job. The bike gives the very large benefit of being able to cut through campus during "rush" hour and I never get hung up at any of the intersection chokepoints.

If we had sane safety standards painted-on bike lanes would be limited to roads with a 25mph or 30mph speed limit. That road is a death trap for cyclists with a 45mph speed limit even without big rigs with big boats.

My point exactly, and yes I realize there are much safer examples of this practice.

The next thought would be knowing which you are looking at on a map when planning a trip into unfamiliar territory.... God bless our ability to run google maps! -Al

Yes, me too. I often check out rides in my car previous to a bike run I'm planning - and always looking for a new place to explore!

Back