Poll question: What would you do differently to suit your riding preferences?

• Place a bottle top on the battery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use a flat bar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
FWIW and not to be contentious but Marin does make a Stinson ebike, ~$1600, rear hub motor, 309wh battery on rear rack. A plus compared to most hub motor bikes is that it is torque sensing. Pedaluma's TSDZ2 conversion on a Stinson 2 ($699) has better derailleur with wider (9s 11-46t vs 7s 14-34t) gearing. My experience with TSDZ2 48v 750w version is that it performs similarly to Yamaha PW-SE while the 36v 500W TSDZ2 has less power. The Stinson version ebike looks like an OK ebike but if I was in the market I'd choose the Stinson 2 with a TSDZ2 over the Stinson ebike any day and you'd have to explain why the conversion is dangerous compared to the Stinson ebike version to be seen as credible rather than just being contentious.
1693241137778.png

That said and without knowing how much Pedaluma charged for his converted Stinson 2, I don't see much reason anymore to buy a bike professionally converted to ebike since prices have recently come down to a level of sanity. That is unless someone already owns a bike that they like and want converted or if there isn't a commercially available ebike that meets their preferences.
Just looking, Yamaha Cross Core bikes are now selling for $1899 or less from some sellers, excellent motor, 2x chainring, warranty, etc. I'd take a Cross Core over a conversion especially if prices were similar.
1693243684853.png

Last edited:
you'd have to explain why the conversion is dangerous compared to the Stinson ebike version to be seen as credible rather than just being contentious.
Because if anything goes wrong then Marin will take responsibility but Uma only shouts how fast "his" e-bikes are?

I agree in that in case of a battery fire I'd rather have insurer or other go after Yamaha than me with a generic battery. In my limited experience I've seen a insurer go after a manufacturer when there was a product failure resulting in damages (washing machine failure not ebike related).
A TSDZ2 isn't a high speed motor even derestricted, likely no more (or less) than a proprietary class 3 ebike. Anything over 25mph takes a lot of pedaling effort for my 36v 500w version but I don't ride much over 20mph anyway except downhill - it is nice that it doesn't cut power though at just above 20mph like my Yamaha powered bike.

And to be fair I have two TSDZ2, one installed on an unused bike and one currently sitting on a shelf in the garage, I am riding my Yamaha powered bike occasionally though (and might put the TSDZ2 on a bike to ride around Crater Lake in a couple weeks, but might just bring the BH Yamaha bike instead).

Last edited:
I have helped hundreds of people on EBR to diagnose and repair their bikes, for free.
I also have to comment that. How funny he was "helping" people in Specialized forum not being an owner of any Specialized e-bike. Always dropping a photo of yet another of his conversions. For free.
a parasite who does not contribute to the community and empower others, yet brags about a 15 mph bike.
I have helped numerous Specialized and Giant owners in EBR forums, as I own these e-bikes and have gained expertise during active riding these e-bikes.

Interestingly, my Vado 6.0 is a 45 km/h or 28 mph e-bike.

@EMGX I dif not mean the battery fire. I meant a fatal accident, may it never happen.

I would buy stickers from you. They look so good on a battery!!! This one has a water bottle nipple attached with gasket maker. Do you use PayPal? How much for a dozen in an envelope to California? I love it.
I appreciate the interest. Yes, bottles look great with stickers. :)
I am, by any stretch of the imagination, a pro at making stockers. I haven’t learned to do multiple color decals. I’d love to, but that seems very daunting. I can only do solid colors. I did a sugar skull, once, but weeding was a PITA. That was for my wife, so I didn’t mind the intricate work on that one. Took me almost 2 weeks. I’m no pro. Lol

If I understand the position it is that, "If one does not know what they are talking about they should sit down and shut up."
Well I can agree with that. At least we agree on something!

I have sold, worked on, and ridden many Specialized electric bikes. I rode a Como today. I have been to the campus and have drank the Kool-Aid. I have also ridden my bikes and they are better. He has never ridden bikes like mine, so does not know what he is talking about and therefore needs to sit down and shut up, sticking to what he knows, such as how to use a selfie stick.

Just curious, what does the Marin eStinson 2 weigh?

I like that the battery is more centered and down low.

If I understand the position it is that, "If one does not know what they are talking about they should sit down and shut up."
Well I can agree with that. At least we agree on something!

I have sold, worked on, and ridden many Specialized electric bikes. I rode a Como today. I have been to the campus and have drank the Kool-Aid. I have also ridden my bikes and they are better. He has never ridden bikes like mine, so does not know what he is talking about and therefore needs to sit down and shut up, sticking to what he knows, such as how to use a selfie stick.
This would also apply to anything relating to throttle use

I have also ridden my bikes and they are better.
In what sense? Design and ride safety? Connectivity? A wide network of LBS? An excellent warranty?

Do you provide the lifetime warranty on the frame? Oh, wait :D

@linklemming, Good point! I have owned, and worked on (test ridden) many throttle bikes. Stefan has not, so he has no valid opinion. Very good point.

@Djangodog, I do not know the exact starter weight of my XL, the Small low-step came in at 29 pounds at the Marin bike shop. Low-steps use more frame material & Extra Large bikes also use more aluminum than a Medium Mid-step the standard. The battery is about 4 pounds with 7Ah. The motor means the BB and chainring is removed and therefore in net adds about 7 pounds. Bottom line: Plan on 40 pounds or a little more, something like 18.5 Kg. Having weight low and centered is how a nautical engineer would go about any added weight. Rack batteries flip bikes on single track.

@Sefan Mikes, Yes. In my local community I stand behind my reputation with 56 going on 58 all 5-Star reviews on Google Maps. I do not like or want 'connected' bikes, that is a Peloton attribute, not a bike attribute. That is feature is only for irrelevant shallow braggarts who take selfies. My stuff is local. And, I have trained one local LBS to work on these bikes and to do conversions so people have a back-up alternative that is most convenient for them. My bikes are designed and tuned for comfort and safety. That is why I take a very small slice of business from the majors locally, but only by the most discerning people who know, or have told their friends. I have only shipped two bikes. Specialized has nothing to worry about. I am getting a perfect 1979 road bike for myself this week, it will not be converted, because I love bikes that feel like bikes.

I am getting a perfect 1979 road bike for myself this week, it will not be converted, because I love bikes that feel like bikes.
Perhaps you should stick to that thought and let bicycles be bicycles? Why don't you design and build an e-bike yourself?

I was wondering what would happen if the frame on one of your conversions broke (with no harm to the rider, of course). Would you replace the bike, or send the owner to Marin? You goddam take no responsibility! If you are ever forced to take the responsibility though, you are not Marin or Specialized to rent good lawyers to protect your ass.

I think the vados you smoke have blurred your perception very much.

I bypass Levos, Kenevos, Teros, Creos, & Evos, my local ridders surpass them all and will tell you as much. Sucky bikes stink. 'Smoking' is leaving inferior bikes l in the dust, leaving Spandex guys in the dust is fun. Also use a clown horn. Everyone should try it once. It is so much fun then to say, "On your left," to Specialized eBikes on a climb. And to blow past them on a non-descript comfort bike while in casual clothes.

I bypass Levos, Kenevos, Teros, Creos, & Evos, my local ridders surpass them all and will tell you as much. Sucky bikes stink. 'Smoking' is leaving inferior bikes l in the dust, leaving Spandex guys in the dust is fun. Also use a clown horn. Everyone should try it once. It is so much fun then to say, "On your left," to Specialized eBikes on a climb. And to blow past them on a non-descript comfort bike while in casual clothes.
Will you ever realize it is not about the speed?
Any motorcycle will smoke your conversion...

Do you realize what any roadie thinks when you overtake him with the clown horn? "Another idiot on an e-bike. #itridesitselfebike". Add the throttle to it. The straight way to harm our e-bike community and get e-bikes banned. That's why you and me will never be on the same coin.

You are a very childish person, Uma. I hope you will learn the life the soft way. All the best.

Last edited:
What is the book, @Rome? Is it classical? Sounds interesting. I used to think I knew what stoic meant, until I read the philosophy and the psychological benefits of the approach. It changed me, giving more courage, independence, and made me less risk adverse. It also made me a better friend. The book I am reading now is a Tibetan detective mystery.

That Marin Stinson 2 rides so nicely I ordered another today. About 15 people have test ridden it and they are all blown away by how solid, quiet, and smooth it is. Mine is XL, this next one is Large. I think it should have broad appeal to a wide range of ridders. It will not get the commuter package of a rack and fenders and it will be a tourist rental from my friend's downtown shop. It arrives in three days. I also picked up my 1980 Grand Record road bike today with all original and perfect Shimano 600 with hand engraved shifters. The hubs have a covered grease hole. Oh, and I placed my stickers order from @Slaphappygamer. They will help transmutate batteries into water bottles. I can't wait.

Attachments

• shimano 600.jpg
    shimano 600.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 68
Sorry to Pedaluma if this strays too far off topic

The banter I see comming from EBRs most prolific poster is similiar to the banter I have had with the typical porsche owners at track events I participated for over 10 years.

My car was a turbo miata with 270rwhp running race tires. I touched every bolt on that car over the years at least 3 times.

Not all porsche drivers were like this but most were.

First, they had the mechanical knowledge/ability of a baboon.

They could quote all sorts of stats(similar to strava) on their cars such as lap times (by pro drivers) and being designed in a country with
the autobahn and with real race wins like le mans (replace porsche with specialized)

Most of them would go out on the faster groups (typically 3 group..slow, medium and fast)

Out on the track, it was apparent most were poseurs. They usually came equipped with friends/family taking alot of pictures (sound familiar?). They would just clog up the track and most I could lap pretty easily

Now alot of this is skill level and many of these guys didnt want to go offtrack with their $$ cars so I get it but the responses I got from many of them is identical to our polish EBR posters.

Most would come over later in the day and look at my car. A typical response would be related to safety (i.e. that car was never designed for that much power)

As a last attempt, the most arrogant would say something like "I would hate to drive that on the street everyday", apparently having pity for me(sound familiar?). One actually stated something along the lines of speed not being the objective(sound familiar?).

The poseurs were always easy to spot bragging in the pits in the morning. The true track warriors would sandbag talking about having old tires, bad fuel, not enough sleep. As soon as they got on the track the winners and losers were very apparent.

Of course there are very competent porsche drivers, on of the best sessions ever was with a totally stripped and caged 911 RS with $$ built engine. We duked it all day having fun chasing each other and I must say, watching him slide in my rearview was awe inspiring. We became good friends. The local rich kids with their fully race prepped 911s were also highly talented.

The local porsche club had their own track days some which I spectated, 90% poseurs.

I find the whole safety angle kindof mute. I have always been a specialized fanboy over the years. That being said, the only frame failures I or friends have ever experienced have been on specialized bikes. Thank good ness they have a good warranty and dealer support. IMHO, they concentrate on weight to much, the 28h wheel on my 2022 levo being a good example (I built my own 32h wheels). Most conversions posted have been of steel bikes which are pretty solid. I doubt I will ever have any frames issue with my surly bikes which were designed to handle large loads.

I love seeing Pedalumas creations although not always relavent to many threads

I take many claims with a grain of salt, seeing them along the lines of "shop talk". My ego isnt fragile enough for them to really bother me. While many conversion will beat my turbo levo on the street, on hardcore MTB trails I doubt that would be the case.

Its nice that Stefan disqualified himself from futue throttle discussion since he has no direct experience. A side benefit will be reduced storage costs for EBR.

Last edited:
I am not into watching auto races but have one exception, Vintage Racing at Sonoma Raceway. People are driving their own cars and there is no sponsorship. You will see cars like a 1967 Jag, '62 Farrari, or '68 Mustang up against each other for charity. The track is not oval or flat. It has twists and topography. When I was very young I used to sell Porsche, by New-Porsche Beach, in San Juan Capistrano. People would have dreamed about ownership for decades. Then when they have the car for a while, they realize it gets stuck in traffic, is cramped, has a harsh ride, and requires a ton of maintenance and it is still just a car. An old Nisan gets to the next stoplight just as quickly as a new Porsche. An electric bike gets across town twice as fast as either, with no parking. I have 57 local reviews on google maps. Those are the people who I listen to and care about their opinions, because they know what they are talking about.

I thought it was about a frustrated fly fisherman! Actually, it sounds very interesting. Thanks. @Slaphappygamer, I love the stickers!!! It did take me a while to figure out that I needed to cut around them. They look perfect.

I have gained a strong allergy to hierarchy. In many organizations they give some dope a management title so they don't need to pay them overtime and can work them 70 hours per week. There is no way I will take orders from such a person. I can't do it. I would live like Thoreau before I would do that. I just fixed up two bikes. And have been too busy to open the box of my new Marin that arrived yesterday.

1693691805200.jpeg
1693691825409.jpeg
1693691889250.jpeg

I am impressed. I just opened the boxed bike from Bikes Online. The packing minimalizes waste and is excellent. On top was a box with tools and instructions that also had the pedals, bell, and reflectors. There are just a few easy steps.

Back