Old man, new bike, massive hills, lesson learned

So, the bike shops in you're area must work cheap. $150.00 for parts and labor? Wow. My tuneups are more then that. And who would pay $1000.00 for a 500 watt battery? My 1000 watt is $350.00. Yamaha is selling the name, and their going out of the bike business. Why keep a bike that is underpowered and may be hard to find parts for in the future. People are sold overpriced, underpowered ebikes a lot. My girlfriend had it happen. She sold hers at no real loss as she had it for a year already and bought one with way more power. Problem solved. Yes, I would forget more gears and add more power. Or find another one with more power AND more gears. I pass roadies with 26 gears going up hills all the time. It all depends on how hard you want to work to get up that hill. I didn't buy my bike for a hard exercise. I have a treadmill and gym pass for that. I ride strickley for fun and meditation.

Bikes like these that come from a closed, proprietary ecosystem generally have barriers to doing something like changing their gearing. Bosch systems for instance. Bosch-allowed changes have to one of a few approved factory chainrings with only a couple of sizes available. The system then has to have its firmware flashed by an approved dealer.

Gearing changes are a simple thing people take for granted, but when you buy a bike like this you may find out there are limits imposed that you never expected.

And a gearing change is likely going to mean he kisses goodbye his top speed. My hill-climber bikes do by necessity. I'm fine with that, but that doesn't mean someone else would be.

Its a perfectly fine ebike... for someone else. It can't do the job being asked of it, and its pretty easy to see why with the low power it provides. Its fine for the seashore or somewhere flat or with low rolling hills.

Back