Oh, no, What did i do? I oiled my pedal assist sensors.

Robbie_D

Hi all,
Yesterday i was oiling my chain and i got his "idea" to swab a bit of oil on my peddle assist sensors. I was thinking protection against the elements, like, to prevent rust or whatever, seeing as Montreal is very slushy, right now, after a couple of snow storms.

Well, today, to took teh e-bike out and i had no peddle-assist. When i got home, i let the bike dry and i took a cotton swab with some rubbing alcohol and went over the area to remove the oil from the sensors but that didn't fix it. So, then i sprayed some brake cleaner on the cotton swab and went over the area again and it's still not working.

The sensors are located between the peddles.
There is a round disc with metal "dots" which turns when i peddle, and then there is a little "box" (i guess i can call it) on which there is a red light. These two pieces make up the peddle assist, i would imagine. I swabbed oil on both. I didn't soak them but i just passed the swab over them a few times.

In vain, I checked youtube and some guy said to unplug and replug the cables for the motor and the handlebar sensors. but that didn't work (obviously).

Are there any suggestions that could help with this issue.
Thanks.

Hi all,
Yesterday i was oiling my chain and i got his "idea" to swab a bit of oil on my peddle assist sensors. I was thinking protection against the elements, like, to prevent rust or whatever, seeing as Montreal is very slushy, right now, after a couple of snow storms.

Well, today, to took teh e-bike out and i had no peddle-assist. When i got home, i let the bike dry and i took a cotton swab with some rubbing alcohol and went over the area to remove the oil from the sensors but that didn't fix it. So, then i sprayed some brake cleaner on the cotton swab and went over the area again and it's still not working.

The sensors are located between the peddles.
There is a round disc with metal "dots" which turns when i peddle, and then there is a little "box" (i guess i can call it) on which there is a red light. These two pieces make up the peddle assist, i would imagine. I swabbed oil on both. I didn't soak them but i just passed the swab over them a few times.

In vain, I checked youtube and some guy said to unplug and replug the cables for the motor and the handlebar sensors. but that didn't work (obviously).

Are there any suggestions that could help with this issue.
Thanks.
I would get some spray electrical cleaner and spray it will it will blast it clean.

Reactions: rtp
I'll post a few pics in a few minutes.
I am wondering if the sensor is close enough to the magnets. BUT i am quite sure nothing moved the sensor out of position Besides, it's really "rigidly" in place - it doesn't move so i doubt anything moved it.

However, i am also wondering about those two screws on the sensor. What if, just if my sensor IS too far away from the magnets, could i unscrew those two screws and bend the metal "sensor holder" closer to the magnets and then screw the sensor back on. Or will unscrewing those two screws unleash a Pandora's box of trouble. I don't want to try to bend it while the sensor is attached because i think it might snap off.
Would try something like CRC contact cleaner, but post pics/more details.

I am wondering if the sensor is close enough to the magnets. BUT i am quite sure nothing moved the sensor out of position Besides, it's really "rigidly" in place - it doesn't move so i doubt anything moved it.

However, i am also wondering about those two screws on the sensor. What if, just if my sensor IS too far away from the magnets, could i unscrew those two screws and bend the metal "sensor holder" closer to the magnets and then screw the sensor back on. Or will unscrewing those two screws unleash a Pandora's box of trouble. I don't want to try to bend it while the sensor is attached because i think it might snap off.

Attachments

• DSC02686.JPG
    DSC02686.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC02687.JPG
    DSC02687.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC02688.JPG
    DSC02688.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 288
What kind of bike is this? Can you find a spec or doc on the sensor? They seem to vary somewhat, but maybe in your maintenance you managed to knock the magnet too far away? If you bring the magnet in line with the sensor, does the light come on on the sensor?

Would try something like CRC contact cleaner, but post pics/more details.
I posted some pics further down. I saw the product you suggested and i see it's alcohol based. Is that going to make a difference since using the brake cleaner and the rubbing alcohol. It looks pretty clean, now. (boy i have trouble using this forum. The quote function is kind of confusing. It's different from other forums.)

Possibly not. Brake cleaner depending on brand/type can be a bit rough on some things, while the CRC is pretty much 'safe for all things' IMO. If it's got wires or a PCB near it, I use the CRC..

If your magnet wheel is on straight, then the thickness of a paper is adequate space between the magnet wheel and the sensor.
You could also turn off your controller, then unplug, spray out contacts with alcohol or contact cleaner, then replug.
Warning contact cleaner is flammable, no smoking, open flame, electricity turned on or off within 10 m. The non-flammable contact cleaners that cost $25 a can can dissolve cheap plastic like your sensor & magnet wheel. CRC cheap grade is okay. Look that you didn't buy brominated hydrocarbon cleaner, used in factories on ABS plastic components.
Salt bridging the connector will also short it out. DI water rinse can wash that off. Then allow to dry naturally or lightly use a hair dryer on low setting.

I notice the red light doesn't light up anymore. When is that light supposed to light up, when the bike is powered on, or just when i peddle?

Possibly not. Brake cleaner depending on brand/type can be a bit rough on some things, while the CRC is pretty much 'safe for all things' IMO. If it's got wires or a PCB near it, I use the CRC..
Have you seen the photos i posted?

I am a bit confused. You said, "Probably not" before when i asked if the product you suggested will make a difference since i used the rubbing alcohol and then the brake cleaner. Should i still go out and buy this product or will it not work. I know what you said afterwards, but i want to clarify.

I notice the red light doesn't light up anymore. When is that light supposed to light up, when the bike is powered on, or just when i peddle?
It should light up when it's detecting the magnet. Some sensors seem to need smaller gaps, some won't detect at super small gaps. Spinning the wheel manually so the magnet crosses the sensor should light the LED if the sensor is seeing/detecting the magnet. You can try repositioning the magnet closer/further away (with power on to the bike but no throttle, assistance, etc., just moving the wheel by hand) and see if you can see the LED lighting up. If not, it's possible the sensor went bad, but check your upstream wire connections as well.

Have you seen the photos i posted?

I am a bit confused. You said, "Probably not" before when i asked if the product you suggested will make a difference since i used the rubbing alcohol and then the brake cleaner. Should i still go out and buy this product or will it not work. I know what you said afterwards, but i want to clarify.
Brake cleaner can be rough - I would not have brought it near my bikes. CRC is pretty much safe on all things.
Meanwhile, alcohol by itself should be OK. Personally I'd pick up a can of CRC to have on hand for 'next time' / anytime working near/around electric connections and PCBs, but can't say it'll fix the issue you're having..

If your magnet wheel is on straight, then the thickness of a paper is adequate space between the magnet wheel and the sensor.
You could also turn off your controller, then unplug, spray out contacts with alcohol or contact cleaner, then replug.
Warning contact cleaner is flammable, no smoking, open flame, electricity turned on or off within 10 m. The non-flammable contact cleaners that cost $25 a can can dissolve cheap plastic like your sensor & magnet wheel. CRC cheap grade is okay. Look that you didn't buy brominated hydrocarbon cleaner, used in factories on ABS plastic components.
Salt bridging the connector will also short it out. DI water rinse can wash that off. Then allow to dry naturally or lightly use a hair dryer on low setting.
I posted some photos. The magnet wheel is straight. I am just wondering if the oil messed things up THAT badly. And if so, what should i do.
The sensor has not moved i am quite sure of that. I peddled home yesterday, oiled my chain like usual but this time i put oil on the sensors like a dummy.
My cable connection plugs are water resistant, the problem can't be there, besides, they are in front of the handlebars far away from the sensors. I did unplug both brake sensors, and the motor though and doing that changed nothing. I am sure i don't need to spray the cables.
However, i am now wondering if any of the oil got inside the sensor? Nah, that can't be because this thing is inches from the ground and it gets really wet there. I only swabbed a bit of oil with a Q-tip.

I just checked the brake cleaner brand. Here's what i used.

Attachments

• DSC02689.JPG
    DSC02689.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 186
What kind of bike is this? Can you find a spec or doc on the sensor? They seem to vary somewhat, but maybe in your maintenance you managed to knock the magnet too far away? If you bring the magnet in line with the sensor, does the light come on on the sensor?
This is my bike. Here is what i used.

Attachments

• DSC02689.JPG
    DSC02689.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 174
I posted some photos. The magnet wheel is straight. I am just wondering if the oil messed things up THAT badly. And if so, what should i do.
The sensor has not moved i am quite sure of that. I peddled home yesterday, oiled my chain like usual but this time i put oil on the sensors like a dummy.
My cable connection plugs are water resistant, the problem can't be there, besides, they are in front of the handlebars far away from the sensors. I did unplug both brake sensors, and the motor though and doing that changed nothing. I am sure i don't need to spray the cables.
However, i am now wondering if any of the oil got inside the sensor? Nah, that can't be because this thing is inches from the ground and it gets really wet there. I only swabbed a bit of oil with a Q-tip.

I just checked the brake cleaner brand. Here's what i used.
At least it's not the red can (chlorinated). Some fun reading, but basically I'd get the contact cleaner for future use... I did go to look at the MSDS and info linked from the second link below but came up blank so some guessing involved.. YMMV

Seems weird/even unlikely some oil on the outside of the sensor would impact it's ability to detect the magnet, unless it got inside, then I'd take the sensor apart and spray it down with CRC (contact cleaner) and hope for the best.

If you move the wheel by hand to move the magnet back and forth across the sensor, does the LED light up?

It should light up when it's detecting the magnet. Some sensors seem to need smaller gaps, some won't detect at super small gaps. Spinning the wheel manually so the magnet crosses the sensor should light the LED if the sensor is seeing/detecting the magnet. You can try repositioning the magnet closer/further away (with power on to the bike but no throttle, assistance, etc., just moving the wheel by hand) and see if you can see the LED lighting up. If not, it's possible the sensor went bad, but check your upstream wire connections as well.
That light does not light up at all. It did before.

These two pics show the sensor "brace". Does it look bent?
At least it's not the red can (chlorinated). Some fun reading, but basically I'd get the contact cleaner for future use... I did go to look at the MSDS and info linked from the second link below but came up blank so some guessing involved.. YMMV

Seems weird/even unlikely some oil on the outside of the sensor would impact it's ability to detect the magnet, unless it got inside, then I'd take the sensor apart and spray it down with CRC (contact cleaner) and hope for the best.

If you move the wheel by hand to move the magnet back and forth across the sensor, does the LED light up?

No it does not light up.

Attachments

• DSC02690.JPG
    DSC02690.JPG
    433.7 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC02691.JPG
    DSC02691.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 208
This is my bike. Here is what i used.
Ok, it's a bafang hub-drive motor. Your pic of the speed sensor doesn't look like a Bafang mid-drive sensor. This is a typical Bafang motor mid-drive sensor. Might have to do some searching on greenbike or maybe post a pic of the other cable end etc. unless someone can confirm a different sensor part..

Back