obsolete

I've tried a couple of apps and I've stuck with Cyclemeter. It's a paying app, but not that expensive (a few dollars) and it doesn't store data in the cloud, which I see as a big plus. I like the convenience of not have to log in to the app.

I'm looking for a way to gather some fitness data as well. Nothing too fancy. The number of BPMs would be a good start. Many of the fitness bands I've looked at are strapped around your chest (or waist) and are quite precise. It seems a bit cumbersome and I don't think I need that level of precision, so I'm looking for a wrist band. Even if it's less precise, it's not a big deal.
I took the plunge and ordered a Garmin vivosmart HR+ GPS, I should have It friday. It was between the Garmin and Fitbit. I've had both on a wish list for some time, I think I'll get what I need from the Garmin. Only 3 years and done! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was thinking about this post today while I was enjoying a rails to trail here in Oregon (Crown Zellerbach Trail).

Typically rail trails are pretty flat but this one climbs up and up at a mellow grade to start and never gets too steep with a few dips and rises due to gone bridges for the first 14 miles. I was able to hold a pretty steady 12/13 mph, it's not s smooth trail by any means, using under 100w's and pushing a 70" gear for the most part. If I let off on my cadence the speed would drop and the watts would rise to compensate while in cruise control.

So yes a certain level of fitness helps but the beauty is you are getting fitter every time you ride up a hill.

And then of course what goes up must come down and that is generally considered to be the reward. I will usually try and climb the rough terrain and come back on pavé if possible to best enjoy that experience.

Why we climb, for the photo ops!

IMG_4209.PNG

How they log here....

Not only does the trail look scary, the bare land clear cut of all timber is even spookier; get a lot of erosion from that!

JayVee, no the rails are long gone. It is now somewhat maintained gravel at best and doesn't see a lot of use. The trail runs in the trees for the most part however and is nice and shady for a ride on a hot day.

It’s hard work. And it seems like it’s getting harder every year with age…

My latest attempt below. It's a bunch of successive little hills. The grade is sometimes steep.

Another ride but with rolling hills:

At the beginning of that first video, I was thinking "TURN AROUND!!! THERE MUST BE A GREAT VIEW BEHIND YOU!!!". Seems I was right.
2017-07-14 16_15_59-Clipboard.png

I've uploaded another video for those who thought there was a lack of scenery. It didn't exactly go as expected though...

I started filming and I was stressed because I wanted to get to the top of the hill before Sunset. That worked out fine for the first 10 minutes as I had a mellow climb through the vineyards (5-6% grade). But the next parts of the climb were a steeper than I had remembered. And I still had in the back of my head to get to the top of the hill before sunset. So I found myself using higher gears than I should have. The first two steep hills went more or less OK but when I saw the last hill I thought I would try to power my way up as it's quite short. But half way up I suddenly realised that that was a really bad idea and I couldn't change gears on a 17% grade hill at 12km/h, so I had no choice but to continue. Fortunately the Yamaha drive doesn’t choke up under 40 RPMs.

If this were an airplane we would have had a STALL WARNING at 18:20.

Come to think of it maybe I should have named this video ‘How not to climb a hill with your e-bike’. I made this climb way more difficult that it should have been and I can only blame myself.

When I got to the top of the hill I came back down but my microphone was displaced and started to have static. So I had to chop out a bit of the video. There’s a weird edit around 21:53.

Wow, that was amazing, wish someday to visit some of these places.;) Thank you @JayVee.

I made a video of the Nuvinci N380 Hill Climb with 45km/h Bosch Performance. So I'll put it here for future reference. Things get difficult over 12% grade. I've tried the same climb 3 times. I always 'stall' when the grade reaches -14-15% grade (around 2:00). Rider weight about 210 pounds.

Where is the cadence (RPM) display?

I'm not very fit on account... I drink waaaaaaay too much beer. That's why I bought a friggin e-bike in the first place. And while I'm on that subject. What's with this world of making beer that tastes like...? Beer should ONLY be brewed according to the Rheinheitsgebot. Everything else is a cocktail without gonads. Or maybe not.

I find hill climbing on an my e-bike only as good as the proper gear I'm in and if its not too steep. I find myself jumping off my Bosch CX motored e-bike quite often. But then again, I'm probably not picking the right hills to climb.

I made a video of the Nuvinci N380 Hill Climb with 45km/h Bosch Performance. So I'll put it here for future reference. Things get difficult over 12% grade. I've tried the same climb 3 times. I always 'stall' when the grade reaches -14-15% grade (around 2:00). Rider weight about 210 pounds.

What is the tooth count of your Bosch chain ring? A cadence meter can provide information if Nuvinci has enough range at the low end of the gearing. You can also compare your chain ring tooth count against other Bosch powered eMTB that are intended for climbing steep hills. The Bosch motor also has a "happy" RPM range, I think it's above 70 RPM.

18T for the gearing. Not sure what an e-mtb would have. points.

For UK use, I use a 16T on the CX motor, link to either a 10/42 or 11/48 rear, depending upon bike.

In the Alps I struggled this year using a 15t on the CX, against another rider using a 13t. I was very out of breath and struggling, whilst the other guy wasn't. We swapped bikes, and he was out of breath, and I wasn't. The difference was utterly amazing. I had no idea that a 13t even existed for the Bosch system, but I might well take that route for my next trip there. The downside being that you also require a special locking ring, and the set up isn't very cheap.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to change the cassette instead to get the proper gear ratios for a climbing profile?
If you go for the wheel sprocket approach, I suggest you get a roughly 15% higher tooth count from the original. That would be equivalent to a cassette having 1 and a half more shifts to the lower end (also losing equivalent 1 & 1/2 shift at the top).

Wouldn't it be easier for you to change the cassette instead to get the proper gear ratios for a climbing profile?

One of my bikes has an 11-42 and one an 11-48. It is the 11-42 that isn't enough for climbing in the Alps, and all of the local riders use 13t with an 11-48 or in some cases an 11-50

That is some pretty extreme gearing for climbing, but it certainly makes it effortless.

Is your nuvinci automatic or manual version?
What is the brand of of the motor on your ebike?
What assist level were you using on that climb?
What ebike did you use?

I use 30:29 sprockets to go up 15% grade without stopping. (7/8" rise in 6", I measured it). That is without a motor. I decided not to buy mid-drive because of the lack of front derailleur. I use 52:14 down hills at >30 mph and 52:20 on flats with a 10 mph tailwind. 40 front sprocket most of the time. Stock kids MTB. My bike weighs >105 lb with baskets. 40 lb of supplies runs it heavier.
I bought a "1000 W" geared motor front wheel: to bring me home from summer camp if I pull a leg muscle (has happened) or develop a fever or some other problem not requring an ambulance. There is no cheap phone service out there and it's too rural for taxi to find me. I'll see if the front wheel motor can get me up 8% hills, the lowest grade longer route out. There is a 7 speed sprocket accessory if I want to convert it to rear drive, but the weight distribution is already 85 rear 25 front w/o supplies.
As to how fit, I'm age 67 and last year I couldn't get up that hill without pushing: in June. By August I could do it. Pulse went to ~168 in June this year after the 3rd 15% hill, was down to ~144 by July. I like riding 3 hours out to the summer camp pedaling myself: I've lost 55 lb in 8 years. Rest pulse pulled down from 85 to 64 in the 8 years. Cloresterol went from 215 to 180 before statins were prescribed. I cut sat fats & meat consumption, eat a lot of low sugar bread & peanut butter/sf jam
I bought the motor also to extend my range to 50 miles in 4 hour so I can go to fall festivals or concerts. Pedal out, motor back. Also travel > 6 mph into a 20 mph headwind. Lots of headwinds happened this season.
Best luck achieving your goals.

I use 30:29 sprockets to go up 15% grade without stopping. (7/8" rise in 6", I measured it). That is without a motor. I decided not to buy mid-drive because of the lack of front derailleur. I use 52:14 down hills at >30 mph and 52:20 on flats with a 10 mph tailwind. 40 front sprocket most of the time. Stock kids MTB. My bike weighs >105 lb with baskets. 40 lb of supplies runs it heavier.
I bought a "1000 W" geared motor front wheel: to bring me home from summer camp if I pull a leg muscle (has happened) or develop a fever or some other problem not requring an ambulance. There is no cheap phone service out there and it's too rural for taxi to find me. I'll see if the front wheel motor can get me up 8% hills, the lowest grade longer route out. There is a 7 speed sprocket accessory if I want to convert it to rear drive, but the weight distribution is already 85 rear 25 front w/o supplies.
As to how fit, I'm age 67 and last year I couldn't get up that hill without pushing: in June. By August I could do it. Pulse went to ~168 in June this year after the 3rd 15% hill, was down to ~144 by July. I like riding 3 hours out to the summer camp pedaling myself: I've lost 55 lb in 8 years. Rest pulse pulled down from 85 to 64 in the 8 years. Cloresterol went from 215 to 180 before statins were prescribed. I cut sat fats & meat consumption, eat a lot of low sugar bread & peanut butter/sf jam
I bought the motor also to extend my range to 50 miles in 4 hour so I can go to fall festivals or concerts. Pedal out, motor back. Also travel > 6 mph into a 20 mph headwind. Lots of headwinds happened this season.
Best luck achieving your goals.
Diet and exercise cuts your risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality way much better than statins. Besides, statins is also associated with muscle pain, fatigue, loss of memory, diabetes risk, and vitamin depletion.

Back