Obese rider with limited mobility looking to get back in shape by commuting to work.

Jamal

Hello guys,

I'm overweight and have limited mobility due to a hip replacement. I want to start commuting to work using a bike. I plan on mostly doing city riding but would like the option of going off-road a little. I'm looking at the Magnum Navigator and the RadMini but I'm open to anything as long as it's comfortable and climbs well. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should buy? I'm about 5,11 250.

Thanks

Last edited:
As a person who lost 50 lb by his bike instead of driving, I second your suggestion of two bikes with geared hub motors. You can pedal those with your feet without drag unpowered when you feel good, and turn the power on when the wind in your face gets outrageous. I use power if headwind is over 12 mph or distance with hills is over 25 miles.
Rad mini has 20"x3.3" wheels, and would really be a trip if you hit a pothole. The magnum navigator appears to be a 26" bike, like I ride left. That would be a lot more comfortable without suspension, IMHO. Sometimes you are behind a car or there are puddles on the road, you can't miss all the pot holes. By all means look at the step through bikes, dancing around to put your leg over the bar with a metal hip is definitely a precursor to a fall.
There is a thread about step-through bikes under the bikes by type thread. Be sure to look at the known problems thread about any brand you consider. Rad for example has 17 entries for loose spokes. The bike I ride left, the yubabike, has one entry on known problems, the seat is uncomfortable & made for girls.
Your height is mainstream, you should be able to ride a 19" or 20" frame that is commonly stocked pretty well. Consider visiting dealers even if you have to drive to big easy; having warrenty support is important if an electric system gets flaky, which they can do. Magnum can be bought through a dealer.

Last edited:
As a person who lost 50 lb by his bike instead of driving, I second your suggestion of two bikes with geared hub motors. You can pedal those with your feet without drag unpowered when you feel good, and turn the power on when the wind in your face gets outrageous. I use power if wind is over 25 mph or distance with hills is over 25 miles.
Rad mini has 20"x3.3" wheels, and would really be a trip if you hit a pothole. The magnum navigator appears to be a 26" bike, like I ride left. That would be a lot more comfortable without suspension, IMHO. Sometimes you are behind a car or there are puddles on the road, you can't miss all the pot holes. By all means look at the step through bikes, dancing around to put your leg over the bar with a metal hip is definitely a precursor to a fall.
There is a thread about step-through bikes under the bikes by type thread. Be sure to look at the known problems thread about any brand you consider. Rad for example has 17 entries for loose spokes. The bike I ride left, the yubabike, has one entry on known problems, the seat is uncomfortable & made for girls.
Your height is mainstream, you should be able to ride a 19" or 20" frame that is commonly stocked pretty well. Consider visiting dealers even if you have to drive to big easy; having warrenty support is important if an electric system gets flaky, which they can do. Magnum can be bought through a dealer.

Thanks,

you've given me a lot of good info to ponder.

appreciate it greatly

Second the step through option for you. I have a mid rise and it is still pretty high. Suspension fork is nice but not necessary in my opinion. We have to rear hub bikes and they are both great. See if you can test ride some step throughs at your local bike shop to test size and fit. Maybe an Espin Nero or Flow, or a Ride1up 500 step through. These bikes weigh around 50-60 lbs.

People recommend going to local bike shop and test ride Yamaha or Bosch powered ebike, and buy Bafang powered hub drive on internet.
Which doesn't make much sense to me.
Yamaha can be ridden without power without drag. They feel very natural, having torque sensing. Makes one feel as if he is more powerful than he really is. I don't need a magical feeling, I welcome the puffing and fast pulse of being out of shape. My condition gets better next week. I felt incredibly powerful today with the wind down to <5 mph and the condition of having ridden 70 miles a week all summer. Knocked 40 minutes off my 30 mile time, too, since usually the wind is 20 mph in my face.
Bosch drags too much power off to be ridden that way. Not as fast building yourself up/slimming down as a hub drive bike. Realize, I didn't crash off 55 lb in a year, I lost about 8 lb a year until I got to a reasonable weight. Also reasonable chloresterol, rest pulse, A1C levels down almost normal. Also, due to Army knee damage, riding a bike a lot is key to being able to walk without cortisone treatments or replacement knees. Read Dr. Ken Cooper Aerobics about the endomorphine one gets from being in shape. Confirmed by a lot of articles on bbcnew.com copied from medical journals and statements by UK health service.
Hub drive bikes also take 1/3 the chain replacements as mid drive bikes. I get 2 1/2 years out of one at 2000 miles per year. Plus if my knee locks up (one twist with weight on it ruins me for days) the motor will drag me home.

I think you missed my point..
when someone is looking to get a VoltBike or Rad Power, both internet bikes.. why would you recommend them to go to local bike shop and test ride Specialized, Giant, Riese & Muller, etc?
Because bike shops won't repeat buy a brand that is built out of scrap metal spokes, the way many internet only bikes are. They lose too much on the warrenty work. Yes, the up front cost is higher. IMHO worth it as poster lives 100 miles from New Orleans. I hope he finds a magnum navigator or Ui6 fits his needs exactly - the brand doesn't have as many complaints as others and can be bought from a shop.
I had to kit build because shops other than pedego are 165 miles away, I don't have a car, and no shop stocks bikes small enough to fit my legs other than single speeds with a Holly Hobbie logo in pink. The poster is normal sized and could find something he likes.
Because ebikes, even the good ones, are subject to bad welds in the battery stack, battery connectors that fall apart when the bike hits a pothole, software problems (read about bosch) etc, etc. Those are all the bike shop's problem if you buy from a shop. My kit building wasn't without adventure, I have 2 piles of trash labled by the vendor as "battery" out back, only 1 of which I got my money back for. I also blew $190 on a DD hub drive that I hated. $510 wasted, not outrageous, but some of the cargo bikes for sale now might have suited me. Not available in 2017. especially the pedego stretch wasn't available in Louisville then. Magnum cargo is about 1/3 the price of a Pedego stretch, too.

Last edited:
Some bike shops, like ebike specific ones, carry hub motor bikes.

In SoCal, there are quite a few that carry Aventon bikes and those are very similar to "internet bikes" like R1U and Espin. My local store actually prefers mid-drive ebikes but if you tell them what you are looking for, they may decide a hub drive bike is more for you.

I think you missed my point..

when someone is looking to get a VoltBike or Rad Power, both internet bikes.. why would you recommend them to go to local bike shop and test ride Specialized, Giant, Riese & Muller, etc?

Those Bosch and Yamaha mid driven bikes have completely different characteristics than Rad Power.
Someone considering bikes could try out different sizes or a step through for example. Doesn't have to be the same bike. Not everyone wants to pay 2k or up for a more expensive bike.

Not everyone wants to pay 2k or up for a more expensive bike.
I suspect that a person with a replaced hip and limited mobility does not want to take his display off, turn his new bike upside down, take off the wheel, take off the tire and tube, and then replace a spoke that is loose with a free one supplied by the vendor under warrenty. Then re-install all the above. Especially I suspect that person doesn't want to do that 72 times as the spokes fail one at a time. I can't imagine this person sitting on a 3 gal bucket to do this job, as I do, since I have my natural hip and am short, besides.
As much as that person does not want to pick up his bike and put it in the SUV or pickup truck (person lives in the South, very likely has one) to drive it to the dealer either. Not more than once for a major failure.
There is data on various brand histories in the known problems thread of each brand forum. Everybody use it. Some brands have more entries about problems than others.

Hello guys,

I'm overweight and have limited mobility due to a hip replacement. I want to start commuting to work using a bike. I plan on mostly doing city riding but would like the option of going off-road a little.
I'm looking at the Magnum Navigator and the RadMini but I'm open to anything as long as it's comfortable and climbs well. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should buy? I'm about 5,11 250.

Thanks

Hi Jamal, Welcome to EBR. 😉

I would recommend reading the Best EBikes of 2020 on EBR and then choose the specific category that suits your needs.

Let us know what type of EBike you are interested in and your price range so we can make more specific recommendations.

Best Electric Bikes of 2020
Looking for the best electric bikes of 2020? As of today, we have reviewed 1054 electric bicycles. EBR conducts the industry’s most complete and objective reviews.
Reviewing electric bikes is all we do. Since 2012, we have helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget.
Table of Contents:

Reactions: BET
I suspect that a person with a replaced hip and limited mobility does not want to take his display off, turn his new bike upside down, take off the wheel, take off the tire and tube, and then replace a spoke that is loose with a free one supplied by the vendor under warrenty. Then re-install all the above. Especially I suspect that person doesn't want to do that 72 times as the spokes fail one at a time. I can't imagine this person sitting on a 3 gal bucket to do this job, as I do, since I have my natural hip and am short, besides.
As much as that person does not want to pick up his bike and put it in the SUV or pickup truck (person lives in the South, very likely has one) to drive it to the dealer either. Not more than once for a major failure.
There is data on various brand histories in the known problems thread of each brand forum. Everybody use it. Some brands have more entries about problems than others.
I have two direct to consumer bikes and they are both quality well made bikes with well known components. I live near DC. Even though we have many bike shops we also have the option of mobile bike services. Even the regular bike shops are doing this since few people want to go to a bike shop during a pandemic. I called a mobile bike service, velofix, and the next day I had a professional bike mechanic with his shop on wheels parked in front of our house. He went over each bike, checked all bolts, checked the shifting, etc. Both bikes were in great shape. He even remarked how nice they were. I can fix most things. If I can't I will get it done with a mobil mechanic. BTW my mom had both hips replaced and she could do a lot. After the first hip replacement she went to the gym twice a week and lived to be 99.
Because bike shops won't repeat buy a brand that is built out of scrap metal spokes, the way many internet only bikes are. They lose too much on the warrenty work. Yes, the up front cost is higher. IMHO worth it as poster lives 100 miles from New Orleans. I hope he finds a magnum navigator or Ui6 fits his needs exactly - the brand doesn't have as many complaints as others and can be bought from a shop.
I had to kit build because shops other than pedego are 165 miles away, I don't have a car, and no shop stocks bikes small enough to fit my legs other than single speeds with a Holly Hobbie logo in pink. The poster is normal sized and could find something he likes.
Because ebikes, even the good ones, are subject to bad welds in the battery stack, battery connectors that fall apart when the bike hits a pothole, software problems (read about bosch) etc, etc. Those are all the bike shop's problem if you buy from a shop. My kit building wasn't without adventure, I have 2 piles of trash labled by the vendor as "battery" out back, only 1 of which I got my money back for. I also blew $190 on a DD hub drive that I hated. $510 wasted, not outrageous, but some of the cargo bikes for sale now might have suited me. Not available in 2017. especially the pedego stretch wasn't available in Louisville then. Magnum cargo is about 1/3 the price of a Pedego stretch, too.
We bought two direct to consumer bikes recently, 1 Ride1up 500 and one Espin Sport and they are both well made. Both delivered in excellent condition. Strong, good name brand components and they work great. They also come with a warranties and both companies have good customer service.

Ok what do you guys think about the Riese & Muller Tinker Vario?
Hi Jamal, Welcome to EBR. 😉

I would recommend reading the Best EBikes of 2020 on EBR and then choose the specific category that suits your needs.

Let us know what type of EBike you are interested in and your price range so we can make more specific recommendations.

Best Electric Bikes of 2020
Looking for the best electric bikes of 2020? As of today, we have reviewed 1054 electric bicycles. EBR conducts the industry’s most complete and objective reviews.
Reviewing electric bikes is all we do. Since 2012, we have helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget.
Table of Contents:

Thanks,

I am looking for a bike that has low maintenance needs, is comfortable for my size, height and limitations, and easy/stable to ride. I plan to start using this bike almost exclusively for my transportation needs but I haven't been on a bike in years. I thought I didn't have a price range until I started looking up some of these bike suggestions. Jeeze, I didn't know bikes got so expensive. lol

I looked at one of your videos in which you said the RadMini step-thru was a comfortable commuter disregarding the folding capability but I'm not sure if it's tall enough and it seems like Rad may be unreliable? I started looking at the Riese and Muller bike based on recommendations and I'm intrigued by some of their belt-driven models but they are pretty expensive. Maybe you good give me high, medium, and low cost bike options I should consider? What do you think about the Riese & Müller Charger 3 Mixte GT Vario or the Nevo3 vario?

It's expensive but it looks like a comfortable bike with an upright riding position.

Thanks again,
Jamal

Last edited:
What do you think about the Riese & Müller Charger 3 Mixte GT Vario? It's expensive but it looks like a comfortable bike with an upright riding position.
The riese & muller tinker vario has small wheels which can cause large shock when you hit a pothole or high pavement separator. It has a bosch middrive which has to be ridden power on all the time to eliminate pulling the motor with your feet, limiting the advantage of aerobic exercise when you're up to it. Reise & muller known problems thread on the first page has noisy brakes, rattles, flat tires, a hydraulic brake leak. The first two won't inhibit your riding and the flat tires can be handled with alternate tire styles. (I use kenda knobbies and no slime, average 1000 miles w/o flats before wearout). There are 8 pages of known problems.
The reise & muller charger 3 appears to be a mid-drive with possibly the same objection if bosch. The one propel showed me had a step over frame, although perhaps step through frames are available.
You'll note my stepthrough bike shown left has a relaxed upright posture and large 2" wheels. The yubabike bodaboda electric is running about $3200 this year with shimano mid drive which can be ridden unpowered without drag. The quality of my 2017 model was superb, requiring no spoke maintenance and no adjustment of the shifters. The step through frame may be short for a 71" person. I've broken the front fender with my foot steering around at low speed. The stretch cargo frame IMHO offers less chance of throwing me over the handlebars onto my chin, at least it hasn't done it in 5000 miles. Previously I hit the pavement with my chin 3 times with 26" MTB and once from a huffy cruiser. I hit a tall pavement separator, a ridge of gravel, a speed bump, a stick, the front tire whipped sideways, the seat boosted in the air & over I went: all at 3 -8 mph.
Other upright position position bikes are called beach cruisers.
The disadvantage of the magnum line is low power; one arizona rider said his motor overheats & shuts off on long hills. That shouldn't be a problem in Baton Rouge unless you cross the Huey P Long bridge, which is probably illegal.

Last edited:
The riese & muller tinker vario has small wheels which can cause large shock when you hit a pothole or high pavement separator. It has a bosch middrive which has to be ridden power on all the time to eliminate pulling the motor with your feet, limiting the advantage of aerobic exercise when you're up to it. Reise & muller known problems thread on the first page has noisy brakes, rattles, flat tires, a hydraulic brake leak. The first two won't inhibit your riding and the flat tires can be handled with alternate tire styles. (I use kenda knobbies and no slime, average 1000 miles w/o flats before wearout). There are 8 pages of known problems.
The reise & muller charger 3 appears to be a mid-drive with possibly the same objection if bosch. The one propel showed me had a step over frame, although perhaps step through frames are available.
You'll note my stepthrough bike shown left has a relaxed upright posture and large 2" wheels. The yubabike bodaboda electric is running about $3200 this year with shimano mid drive which can be ridden unpowered without drag. The quality of my 2017 model was superb, requiring no spoke maintenance and no adjustment of the shifters. The step through frame may be short for a 71" person. I've broken the front fender with my foot steering around at low speed. The stretch cargo frame IMHO offers less chance of throwing me over the handlebars onto my chin, at least it hasn't done it in 5000 miles. Previously I hit the pavement with my chin 3 times with 26" MTB and once from a huffy cruiser. I hit a tall pavement separator, a ridge of gravel, a speed bump, a stick, the front tire whipped sideways, the seat boosted in the air & over I went: all at 3 -8 mph.
Other upright position position bikes are called beach cruisers.
The disadvantage of the magnum line is low power; one arizona rider said his motor overheats & shuts off on long hills. That shouldn't be a problem in Baton Rouge unless you cross the Huey P Long bridge, which is probably illegal.

Maybe the Nevo3 vario then? It's a low step.

Thanks,
I am looking for a bike that has low maintenance needs, is comfortable for my size, height and limitations, and easy/stable to ride. I plan to start using this bike almost exclusively for my transportation needs but I haven't been on a bike in years. I thought I didn't have a price range until I started looking up some of these bike suggestions. Jeeze, I didn't know bikes got so expensive. lol

I looked at one of your videos in which you said the RadMini step-thru was a comfortable commuter disregarding the folding capability but I'm not sure if it's tall enough and it seems like Rad may be unreliable? I started looking at the Riese and Muller bike based on recommendations and I'm intrigued by some of their belt-driven models but they are pretty expensive. Maybe you good give me high, medium, and low cost bike options I should consider? What do you think about the Riese & Müller Charger 3 Mixte GT Vario or the Nevo3 vario?

It's expensive but it looks like a comfortable bike with an upright riding position.
Thanks again, Jamal

The R&M Tinker is a very nice commuter... top shelf including the price. Have you also considered a Cargo Bike in this price range? ;)

"Overall, everything about the Riese & Muller Tinker Vario was first class. From the first time I got on it, to changing gears, driving in the day, driving pre-dawn (the built-in light is perfect for early morning rides), and to storing it at night. If you are looking for a bike to become your daily commuter tool, the Riese & Muller Tinker Vario would be a perfect option. If you want something to take on light off-road or gravel, it’s also a great option with its thick tires. It’s one of the “can do a little of everything” type bikes. It can be folded to load into SUVs and mini-vans as well. The back of the bike can hold plenty of storage with an easy “snapit” system with plenty of accessory options.

At just under $5000, it obviously isn’t cheap but you get what you pay for here. If you are looking for fully foldable options or a cargo level bike, check out Tern’s Vekton and GSD which we reviewed previously. The transportation industry is changing by the day, and if your commute is 20 miles or less, an e-bike is certainly a great option to simplify your life. I would have no hesitation recommending the Riese & Muller Tinker Vario as your daily commuter bike. It’s robust enough to go anywhere you want, but small enough to easily fit on elevators and store in smaller living quarters."

Last edited:
If you are still looking for a comfortable step-thru EBike... take a look at these top picks for best Commuter and City bikes reviewed by EBR.

Best Commuting Electric Bikes of 2020

Looking for the best options to commute by ebike? These are our top choices for best commuting electric bikes of 2020. When you’re riding daily, you want a product that’s dependable. It must be ready for different types of weather and the possibility of dark night or early morning rides as the seasons change. Furthermore, comfort becomes an increasingly relevant factor. All of these e-bikes have fenders, racks, and integrated lights. For more details, including why we chose each model, check out our full list of the best commuting electric bikes.
Premium

May 5, 2019
BULLS TWENTY8 E45 Review
  • MSRP: $4,599
  • MODEL YEAR: 2019, 2020

A high-speed, feature-complete, urban electric bike with fenders, front suspension fork, suspension seat post, integrated lights and a nice modern rack. Available in 5 sizes including high-step and mid-step frame styles with a gel saddle and…...Read Review
Value

February 25, 2020
DŌST DROP Review
  • MSRP: $2,799
  • MODEL YEAR: 2020

An approachable step-thru electric bike with upgraded components and optional second battery pack. Adjustable angle stem improves fit, 100mm spring suspension fork offers compression lockout and preload, high quality 2.4" wide Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires offer stability, visible reflective sidewalls, and puncture protection lining built-in. Lots of great accessory options including bags, cup holders, suspension seat post, mirrors, and child seat. Powerful 750 watt Bafang BBS02 mid-drive motor blends into the purpose-built frame, alloy housing keeps…...Read Review
Affordable

January 27, 2020
Rad Power Bikes RadCity 4 Review
  • MSRP: $1,499

A feature-complete, comfort oriented, hybrid electric bike with regenerative braking, built-in USB charging port below the display, modular battery pack that works with all other Rad models, and integrated lights. The headlight offers a bright 80 lumen center beam and a unique LED circle to keep you seen, while the rear light offers solid, flashing, and bright mode when the brakes are activated. Sturdy adjustable angle stem and long 350mm seat post improves fit for a wide range…...Read Review

Best City Electric Bikes of 2020

Looking for an ebike that’s well-suited to neighborhood, urban, and city use? Here’s our top picks for best city electric bikes of 2020. This is a broad category, but we’ve narrowed down to products that use quality parts, offer good support, and provide a more upright body position with some added comfort features. Many of the chosen products also have fenders, racks, lights, and reflective tires. These accessories provide utility and safety for dynamic, sometimes crowded, city environments. For more details, including why we chose each model, check out our full list of the best city electric bikes here.

Premium

November 19, 2019
OHM Quest Review
  • MSRP: $3,399

A high-end feature complete commuter ebike from a reputable company that uses some of the best brand-name components available, everything is here from rear rack, fenders, battery integrated lights, and front suspension fork, OHM has been around since 2005 and stands behind their products with shipping and assembly across North America and a 2 year comprehensive warranty. Mechanically it uses a high-end Shimano Deore Shadow + Clutch derailleur, 11-36 tooth cassette, 46…Read Review
Value

September 30, 2019
Magnum Ui6 Review
  • MSRP: $1,699
  • MODEL YEAR: 2019, 2020

A beautifully designed, purpose built, affordable electric bike well suited to urban riding or commuting. Step-thru frame is easy to mount but relatively stiff thanks to a double tube mid-section,…Read Review
Affordable

February 23, 2020
Rad Power Bikes RadCity Step-Thru 3 Review
  • MSRP: $1,499

A feature-complete, approachable step-thru, comfort oriented, hybrid electric bicycle with regenerative braking. It has a built-in USB charging port below the display, features a modular battery pack that works with all other Rad models of this generation, and comes with integrated lights! The headlight offers a bright 80 lumen center beam and a unique LED circle to keep you seen, while the rear light offers solid, flashing, and bright mode when the brakes are activated. Sturdy adjustable angle stem and long 350mm seat post improves fit for a wide range… Read Review

Maybe the Nevo3 vario then? It's a low step.
Reiss & mueller nevo 3 vario has big enough wheels to be comfortable. Has bosch performance 3 gen 4 mid drive which I think I have read can be pedalled without power without drag. Pricey, but low # of complaints.
If I didn't need a cargo bike, I think I would try a townie electra go with the turned back handlebars and the drop frame. https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/townie/ It is a dealer sold bike.
The flat foot frame particularly calls to me, who have really short legs. I can't reach the ground with tiptoes and still get my leg almost straight at full extension the way they are most efficient. Townie go 7d s are geared hub drive which I like, more expensive 8d is mid drive which may drag power off and require more chain maintenance.

Back