Nyon Map/Route options

Moonglow

Region
New Zealand
Hi folks, I couldn't find this anywhere else but apologies if I've missed it. There are three types of route you can select in the Nyon or Ebike Connect, Fast, Scenic and on mine it says Short. All the advice I can find talks about Fast, Scenic and MTB which I understand; Fast is probably shortest/avoiding speed limited paths etc, MTB is most direct and worries less about streets, just whether a bike can go there.... but what is short? I feel like Short and Fast should be kind of the same, they are fairly similar distance wise on the maps they make but do consistently pick different routes. I also notice short seems better at rerouting me from where I am if I choose to ignore a turnoff it recommends, Fast seems to keep trying to reroute me back to the route its mapped (regardless of how stupid that path might now be).

Thanks in advance.

no clue I have only used it a few times. its not nylons strong suit to map routes. hard to see the actual route. the few times I tried it it was wanting stress I didn't to want to take. but thats in the us.

Shortest route isn't always the fastest. It's a bit more obvious with cars where short routes and fast routes can have vastly different speeds. In areas where bike infrastructure doesn't have to interact with streets and intersections as often, you can get some wins on slightly longer routes by not having your trip interrupted as frequently. Or if you can avoid certain types of terrain like steeper hills, you can eek out some small wins that way. But for a bike, short vs fast shouldn't produce different routes all that often, and in reality, I wouldn't want short if it means dumping riders out onto roads because "less distance". But it is faster to route because it doesn't have to take anything about the segments into account other than length. So no doing estimations on intersections, crossings, path type, etc.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, I can't even route a short route anymore on eBike Connect (web or mobile). It looks like it's been replaced wholesale with eMTB routing.

Much like fooferdoggie, I don't use the built in routing often. I'll generally use something like Komoot to build the route because it is easy to tweak the default routes onto the trails/paths I want. But I also do more recreational riding, because bike infrastructure here is practically nonexistent outside of rails to trails type recreational paths.

Thanks Kaiede. I use Komoot and Nylon, particularly when the phone goes flat and I'm making unexpected detours. Interesting short isnt an option as I'm on the lastest updates here. Seems to be a slow moving trend :)

Sa basically fast should be considering traffic flow, lights etc. So far I havent liked it much. It takes me down a few very busy streets in industrial areas with no room on the road for a bike - basically you're taking up the whole lane and its full of trucks. Not fun.

Back