NYC Electric Bike Law

It all seems to revolve around the 'commerce clause', which is about Federal power. This justice, a long long time ago, summed it up pretty well:

Chief Justice Waite in the case of the Pensacola Telegraph Co. v. Western Union Telegraph Co., 629 a case closely paralleling Gibbons v. Ogden in other respects also. ''The powers thus granted are not confined to the instrumentalities of commerce, or the postal service known or in use when the Constitution was adopted, but they keep pace with the progress of the country, and adapt themselves to the new developments of times and circumstances. They extend from the horse with its rider to the stage-coach, from the sailing-vessel to the steamboat, from the coach and the steamboat to the railroad, and from the railroad to the telegraph, as these new agencies are successively brought into use to meet the demands of increasing population and wealth. They were intended for the government of the business to which they relate, at all times and under all circumstances. As they were intrusted to the general government for the good of the nation, it is not only the right, but the duty, of Congress to see to it that intercourse among the States and the transmission of intelligence are not obstructed or unnecessarily encumbered by State legislation. - See more at: http://constitution.findlaw.com/article1/annotation28.html#sthash.KRssoH3l.dpuf

http://constitution.findlaw.com/article1/annotation28.html

So, yeah they should respect the Federal attempt to define the ebike throughout the country, with one simple set of rules.

On the other hand, if the California Bill passes, the industry is basically saying they want 20+ mph ebikes. I don't know if anyone can rely on an interpretation of the CPSC rules to make the 28 mph pedelecs legal as bikes. No reasonable analysis seems to support the speed pedelec as a bike. Haibike doesn't think it is a bike.

One of the bike groups wants to change the Utah ebike regulations in the next session. None of these groups really say what they want. In general, no one knows what is going on, or who is running the show. The California bill appeared out of nowhere. For a while, Pedego opposed it. It seems to work for the big companies.

If you plan to sell the speed pedelecs, the Stromer comes to mind, I don't know how much legal cover you need. The California categories at least define that ebike, while they separate Speed bikes from all other ebikes. All these laws seem to end up making it hard for anyone to enter the industry and just sell a few bikes. They seem to hurt the cheaper bikes, they may hurt kit bikes. It all seems a little corrupt.

It's hard to respect an industry where no one knows what is going on, what they really want to do. It's a small group, deciding everything. At least CPSC was wide open, and let people do a lot of things, up to the limits. Your approach is simple, but it seems to limit ebikes to 20 mph.

Good luck. Maybe you can fix things.

Even if industry reps "win" 28 mph approval in California, other states may continue to outlaw over 20-mph-electric bikes on paved trails. Trails require mutual respect among diamond frame riders, recumbent riders, skaters and walkers, everyone.

As a regular 20mph e-bike rider... I think 28mph is too fast for sharing a trail with peds. At 28mph, you have DOUBLE the kinetic energy in case of collision, you need DOUBLE the stopping time, and encounter DOUBLE the wind resistance. At some point, the pedals become supurflous.

20mph is OK, since that's about how fast manual bikes go.

i would agree except the last line, I get passed on my Stromer which will do 28 . I get passed by some guys and can't keep up with them, they are young strong athletic types, but I do get passed . Does this mean they shouldn't ride on the trail also?

Where do you get passed doing 28mph? Is it down a hill? On my Chinese e-bike that is limited to 20mph, I cruise at 22mph and RARELY get passed --- and if so, just barely.

Is it safe to ride a bike 28mph on NYC bike paths? I suppose there might be some segments of bike path where it safe, especially at less-crowded times of the day/year. But I find myself unable to reach even my "paltry" 22mph on much of the Hudson River path, which is one of the best in NYC. If we're serious about decreasing trip time for bikers, it will be far more effective to remove obstacles and unnecessary sharp corners, rather than trying to increase the top speed).

The Putnam Railroad in Westchester, that's a different story...

(PS: I don't race down hills. Higher speed = higher risk, and my e-bike still maintains an impressive AVERAGE speed of 15+mph for most trips, even with stop lights --- impressive compared to average rush-hour speeds for automobiles. The Strava types can risk their necks at 40mph without me).

Only on the long downhills of East River bridges does anyone pass me. And then I'm not even trying, saving my battery, enjoying scenery. Its not a race, its transportation.

I've seen too many bikers on those downhills who are f***'n nuts. All it takes is one idiot to cause an accident and mess up a lot of peoples' lives.

I live near the W&OD trail, runs 44 miles from DC west to a small town called Purceville. I guess it is pretty popular . There are some real fit bikers on occasion that just go faster than my st1

They can can hit 30 + where I was doing mid 20s

I've seen too many bikers on those downhills who are f***'n nuts. All it takes is one idiot to cause an accident and mess up a lot of peoples' lives.
I think we should put a 60mph speed limiter on your car so you don't drive like your 'f***'n nuts'. After all it only takes one idiot... :eek:

As a regular 20mph e-bike rider... I think 28mph is too fast for sharing a trail with peds. At 28mph, you have DOUBLE the kinetic energy in case of collision, you need DOUBLE the stopping time, and encounter DOUBLE the wind resistance. At some point, the pedals become supurflous.

20mph is OK, since that's about how fast manual bikes go.
Bobb-
Of course 28mph is too fast on trails in SOME areas. It's called a speed limit, and Rules of the Trail. Bells, lights, etiquette. Can't we all just understand what is essentially expected for us to do? Why are we so quick to overreach and ban/prohibit?

While in principle, I can see the logic behind the concern: "if an motor-e-bike can go 28mph, someone will go 28mph, is dangerous, and we need to ban ALL 28mph ebikes." Practically, how do your enforce that without banning ALL motor-e-bikes? What is right, just and fair if roadies form a peloton going 28mph?

Is an ebike a bicycle or motorcycle? Once we decide how that question plays out, then then the rules get easier.

Thanks @J.R. you can certainly understand that NYC is not most places. Apparently this is all about food delivery people doing what is best for them. Maybe they should have a commercial license.

Yes... sadly, that's about how it is in NYC, especially the Upper East Side (which is a weird world unto itself). The logic rarely gets beyond "I saw someone riding against traffic / blowing through stoplights / riding on the sidewalk" on an e-bike, so we should ban e-bikes. Meanwhile, NYC "vision zero" bike enforcement is focused on violations that don't compromise safety, while idiots on e-bikes and manual bikes continue to ride against traffic, ride on the sidewalk, and blow through stoplights at full speed with pedestrians present. Because it's easier to set up a sting and catch bikes proceeding 10mph through a red light at a T intersection, than it is to go after the dangerous stuff, which can happen anywhere. And when the cops hand out more bike tickets than speeding tickets in a month, they pat themselves on the back for making progress on "Vision Zero."

I'm still waiting for sane e-bike laws and enforcement. I'll go with anything reasonable --- required licensing, driver's ed, helmet law, lights & bell, you name it. And then let us ride. On the enforcement side, the cops need to go after dangerous behavior (all too common), rather than simply driving a vehicle with 1/200 the power, 1/100 the mass and 1/3 the speed of a typical automobile. My only hope is that the cops understand this instinctively, and will leave alone e-bike riders who are driving sanely and safely. I come across cops all the time, and so far my luck as held out.

Politically... e-bikes are most commonly used by restaurant delivery folks, who are living at the very bottom of the NYC power hierarchy. They have no political clout, and all the cards are stacked against them. Many are also new to the USA, come from places with crazy traffic, and may not fully understand American traffic conventions. Required drivers ed would not be a bad idea. In any case, we will see attitudes change when/if a more diverse crowd of New Yorkers start commuting by e-bike.

All too often politics gets boiled down to knee jerk reactions to hot button issues to make it appear that something is being done. Instead of going after bad actors, freedom and options are taken away from every citizen.

Ebikes are a useful tool for transportation and that's even more true for a city like New York, but politicians are either unable or unwilling to see the big picture of this and many issues that have a negative impact on quality of life. Big city grid lock is a nightmare that effects the vast majority of New Yorkers and education of available options is the only answer, but with activist journalism like the aforementioned news piece, it's going to be a long uphill battle.

I'm disappointed in the industry groups that are more worried about legalizing 28 MPH ebikes for the West Coast of the U.S. than getting any ebike legalized in New York. 2016 doesn't look any brighter when the ebike industry has an opportunity to inform and educate politicians and the public alike (their market) with the touring Electric Bike Expo, they won't get closer to the East Coast and it's large markets and population centers like NYC than Texas.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/evanston-illinois-what-works-213282?o=0

This is a really long magazine piece about how to change transportation patterns in an urban area. Since these are very profound changes, basically reworking almost everything we have been doing, the ebike pretty much gets lost in the shuffle. It always impresses me that the main thing you do with this new urban model is eliminate long car trips. The stores are close by, and the work is either close or on a mass transit route.

It will be interesting to see what NYC does with their 'transportation spaces'. Parking is as much a problem as gridlock on roads. Europe is getting pretty aggressive about getting rid of cars in big cities. All cities end up with this paradox of needing basic workers, but not being able to house them because of costs. There was a thread about innovation and China the other day. We could definitely use some innovation in making cities work. This TV segment just shows the 'mental gridlock', raw finger-pointing with no perspective.

The bike groups were celebrating yesterday because of the multi-year transportation compromise. There were some amendments to get rid of the funding that ends up being used for bike infrastructure. That threat may be gone. It always seems sad to me that the bike and ebike interests aren't very well aligned. The California law takes the 28 mph bikes off the dedicated bike paths. So, having done that, where are the interests of the the Speed riders?

I'm impressed with the well thought out opinions and perspectives detailed on this page of the forum.

Another article:

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2015-1...s_Ramp_Up_Enforcement_Of_eBikes_Scooters.html

A couple of things in the article that stood out to me:
NYPD officials said police officers throughout the city have been instructed on how to summons and seize the illegal motorized bikes and scooters that zoom along local streets, causing pedestrians to run for their lives.

Cops have been instructed to issue Environmental Control Board (ECB) violations to anyone driving one of the e-bikes or scooters on city streets, the officials said. The ECB violations carry a $500 fine.
A law passed by the City Council in 2014 prohibits the use of electric bikes in the five boroughs. Under the law, it is also illegal to sell, lease or rent the vehicles in New York City and fines for violation of the law start at $3,000. Under the law, business owners also face fines of $100-to-$250 if employees are caught with the bicycles on restaurant business..

I wasn't aware of the $3000 fine for selling ebikes in NYC. That law was enacted in 2014, all the while the state legislature was considering legalizing ebikes. Or were they, very strange!

I just wanted to update this thread as Court and I did a video together yesterday and I think it explains things pretty well. I hope this will prove to be another step towards more clarity in the law. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Back