NYC Electric Bike Law

There appears to be two competing bills circulating:
From The Daily Gazette "New bills seek to clarify e-bike rules":

• Brooklyn Assemblyman Nick Perry’s bill, which has an identical counterpart in the state Senate sponsored by western New York Sen. Thomas O’Mara, would clarify the legal status of low-speed electric bicycles. The law would define such machines as bicycles with batteries that are 750 watts or less, and are operated via pedal assist (meaning the electric battery will only engage if the bike is being manually pedaled).
The bill also would require that such bikes can only reach a top speed of 20 MPH before the battery shuts off, and any additional speed would need to be obtained through human power or gravity (such as down a hill). Most importantly, the bill would allow for e-bikes defined that way to be operated on public streets and roads, which is prohibited under current rules.

• A coalition-supported bill introduced by state Senator Rich Funke out of Rochester would legalize on public roads all three classes of e-bikes: pedal assist, throttle and speed peddle. This last class refers to pedal assist e-bikes that can generally reach higher top speeds than standard pedal-assist models.

The Assembly bill clarifying the definition of e-bikes does not yet have any co-sponsors, while its state Senate counterpart has an ally in Sen. Martin Dilan of Brooklyn (in addition to its primary sponsor, O’Mara).

The state Senate bill seeking to legalize all three classes of e-bikes does not currently have any co-sponsors. Both bills were referred this month to the Assembly’s and Senate’s respective transportation committees. The coalition is seeking to get both laws passed next legislative session.

From The Daily Gazette "Open the roads to e-bikes":
"But a new generation of bicycles — which contain electronics that allow the bicyclist to pedal with greater ease or to rest while the bike does some of the work — is gradually becoming more popular. And New York state law must keep up with the changing times."

I just wanted to update you guys since there has been a lot of activity lately. The O'Mara bill will be the more likely one to pass, but frankly we'll be happy to see something session since we've been fighting for so long.

NYPD seems to be willing to support a class 1 bill but nothing outside of that at the moment. The burden will be on NYC to create further legislation to disallow class 3 if a 3 class bill was passed. Class 2 is and will more than likely remain illegal. The NYS bill won't change that.

The industry wants the 3 class bill, but it likely won't carry without NYC's blessing and I don't see that coming any time soon. Perhaps if we get class 1, NYPD starts using them and they realize that they want class 3 bikes. Then we'll see some change.

I think we should all be excited if we can get something passed this session, even if it's not as liberal as the model California law.

Once we start gaining market penetration it will become clear the plethora of uses for these machines and the demand for more classes will become much greater.

This is the fourth year we've been lobbying for ebikes in Albany and the support for ebikes among lawmakers is growing dramatically. NYC remains to be outlier mainly due to the largely unchecked actions of delivery ebike riders throughout NYC. I'm not saying that I support the confiscation of ebikes, but something needs to change if we want to see ebikes become a mainstream adoption of ebikes into the transportation landscape of NYC and that starts with public perception. That's part of the strategy behind my store, we try to educate the public that ebikes can be more than a way to get your takeout order delivered while it's still hot!

My state senator is Rich Funke and I will speak with him this week. As I emailed senator O'Mara last week, I am in support of a more open law allowing at the minimum class 1 and 2 bikes to be used in NYS. If NYC wants further restriction they can pass such legislation, as they have with motor vehicle licensing. New Yorkers can get a driving permit in much of the state at 16 but need to be older in the city and metro NY area. For me any law banning a throttle will literally turn me off. I don't look at our bike as a motorcycle but the throttle is more of a boost mechanism for going up a hill or just getting started. Until battery technology makes the next leap the size and a/h will dictate the use of the throttle to an assist function. NYS should get there act together, and if the city has a problem not peanlize the entire state.

All you New Yorkers I encourage you to contact one of the Senators mentioned above and make your voice heard. Easy to do, just google them and phone and email pop up. Thx

@Chic Lasser I agree with your sentiments, but keep in mind this has been the approach we have taken for the past 3+ years. Things don't usually work logically in NY, we have to wade through a lot of nonsense and we're just hoping to see something pass at this point. If I believed that a 3 class bill was a possibility I would be pushing for it, but I have spoken with more elected officials than I can count and NYC has a big impact on the way things go. Basically if we don't have the support of NYC it's likely not going to happen. I certainly could be wrong, but there are a lot of factors to contend with here and I think it makes sense to get something on the books so we can start to see the widespread adoption of ebikes and the residents of NY can start realizing their benefits.

It's great to see the increased interest here and I hope it continues. We're going to need to continue to fight for more rights for ebikes.

I fought the ticket and it got dismissed based on a faulty ticket written with no max penalty for the summons. I would suggest anyone try to fight the ticket in case you can get off on a technicality. It took a while at the courthouse and getting the bike back was big hassle but worth it. Ironically you will see electric bikes delivering food to the manhattan police headquarters and no one will care.

Yes, I'm back to my regularly scheduled commute. I hope the laws get fixed soon before another Zero Vision publicity stunt occurs. Such a waste of everybody's time to be punishing ebikers when there is no sufficient data to outlaw ebikes.

looks we're headed for the continual fragmentation of ebike laws in the US. Legal in one state, criminal in another. As a gun owner I'm used to it though.

Yeah, maybe "used to it" but still not a good reason to accept this. The rest of the country doesn't call it NY City, it's FU City.

New York City Just Declared War on E-Bikes
Police will step up enforcement against electric bikes—and target the businesses that use them

From Bicycling.com: "The city will ramp up enforcement against e-bikes. Citing public safety concerns and complaints from neighborhood groups, he said police will begin targeting not only people who ride e-bikes, but also businesses whose employees use them for deliveries."

Soo sad:(

New York City Just Declared War on E-Bikes
Police will step up enforcement against electric bikes—and target the businesses that use them

From Bicycling.com: "The city will ramp up enforcement against e-bikes. Citing public safety concerns and complaints from neighborhood groups, he said police will begin targeting not only people who ride e-bikes, but also businesses whose employees use them for deliveries."

Soo sad:(
I believe this is in preparation for a law change in New York State. They need to clean things up before we see legislation pass. Fortunately pedal assist is still okay which was confirmed at the referenced press conference which I also attended. Feel free to reach out with any questions, as the news often doesn’t capture the real word on the street.

I believe this is in preparation for a law change in New York State. They need to clean things up before we see legislation pass. Fortunately pedal assist is still okay which was confirmed at the referenced press conference which I also attended. Feel free to reach out with any questions, as the news often doesn’t capture the real word on the street.

Hola @Chris Nolte, New York State will pass a Class 1 e-bike legislation only? If so, when will this occur? Thank you.

Fortunately pedal assist is still okay which was confirmed at the referenced press conference which I also attended. Feel free to reach out with any questions, as the news often doesn’t capture the real word on the street.

No kidding! I read the article, and they didn't mention anything about pedalics being legal / ok. I read it as all ebikes were illegal in NYC.

They need to get the bikes off the sidewalks to make room for the automonous delivery robots such as the ones in DC and San Francisco
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech.../hungry-call-your-neighborhood-delivery-robot
I can see these things being thrown into the back of a thieves' van, to be 'deconstructed' at a later time for the lithium batteries and sensor spare parts business. Plus, at what point will unemployed people start to take revenge on such machines?

I'm dying to get in there and tool around on my FatSix; thanks for clarifying, but I'm having visions of trying to convince an NYPD rookie that my bike's legal. I've seriously considered this possibility, and would likely flee if they tried to unnecessarily impound my very expensive property.

When I got my bike taken away this year, the cop said, "If it has a motor, we're taking it no matter what." I tried to explain pedal assist bikes and read the law out loud but they didn't care. They said they want to see a license for it but you can't get an ebike license so they took my bike.

When I got my bike taken away this year, the cop said, "If it has a motor, we're taking it no matter what." I tried to explain pedal assist bikes and read the law out loud but they didn't care. They said they want to see a license for it but you can't get an ebike license so they took my bike.
Harry - Can I ask what bike you have? Is it exclusively pedal-assist? I'd love to see your ticket and help fight this as this is the first I'm hearing someone pedal-assist having issues.

This is a recording of the broadcast from last week. See 8:45 the mayor is specifying that pedal assist is different, not that that should be necessary. I'm actually looking forward to helping to fight a consumer case so we can set a precedent. I have already done this earlier this year for my shop, proving that pedal-assist is not illegal under NYC law.

This ticket was awhile ago, they gave me the bike back because the cops didn't legally write the ticket correctly. They left out the part of how much the fine was so I was able to contest it, get off and get my bike back. I don't think they know what the official penalty is. It was really annoying because I had to go to 3 different buildings to get signatures, go to court and go through a lot of red tape. My bike is a pedal assist A2B Kuo+ with a throttle. But they didn't really care about the throttle or no throttle pedal assist issue. They said they were told to take any bike with a motor. I think they just needed to get people during the VisionZero Publicity blitz in the Spring. It's all up on the precinct's twitters. They tend to set up around upper east side and upper west side because there's a lot of old people complaining in those parts I guess. I now avoid the uptown streets by taking the westside greenway all the way. Which by the way, the laws are a bit nebulous because it's illegal "to ride on the street" so I don't think they'll be confiscating in the park.

Last edited:
Back