NYC Electric Bike Law

Great video! I was believing the snippets of press I had seen about electric illegal in NYC and wondering how you could even keep a shop open there. So this really clears things up. Can't wait to visit Propel hopefully in the near future.

Great video! I was believing the snippets of press I had seen about electric illegal in NYC and wondering how you could even keep a shop open there. So this really clears things up. Can't wait to visit Propel hopefully in the near future.
Thanks! It's a pretty challenging enviornment but we're up for it :) I'm really greatful to have Court out to help do this.

I look forward to your visit and meeting you in person. I hope to have a more specific date of your bikes arrival this week.

Hey, thank you for posting this. I'd been looking for the actual wording/literature for the local level of nyc. I was curious your take on the issue of commuting to work with an electric bicycle from NJ. If I were to remove the battery from a throttle ebike and just ride it like a regular bike, would that enable me to bypass the law?

It would be nice if your videos could be consolidated in one location . Like a library of Courts . I just stumbled upon your vid. at Propel ebikes on NY's current ebike laws. That was a must see , and more than once. And your Baja trip was a classic !

Hey, thank you for posting this. I'd been looking for the actual wording/literature for the local level of nyc. I was curious your take on the issue of commuting to work with an electric bicycle from NJ. If I were to remove the battery from a throttle ebike and just ride it like a regular bike, would that enable me to bypass the law?
What you can get away with and the definition of the law can be very different. I know many people that use throttles in the city, but we generally recommend against it. I guess your theory makes sense, I'm no lawyer but it begs the argument can it be "operated without human assistance". It's really complex, but I wouldn't let that hold you back from seeking a solution.

It would be nice if your videos could be consolidated in one location . Like a library of Courts . I just stumbled upon your vid. at Propel ebikes on NY's current ebike laws. That was a must see , and more than once. And your Baja trip was a classic !
There is definitely so much to see! I think Court mostly uses his YouTube channel as the one consolidated location.

Yeah the NYPD is getting pretty aggressive in certain precincts. This is specific to throttle activated bikes though. We're still focused on keeping pedal assist legal as it seems that's all that the city will allow. Will keep this thread updated as things progress.
I am curious how they will implement that since, basically ,all food delivery ebikes in NYC area are (non brand) Chinese made throttle only set up.

I am curious how they will implement that since, basically ,all food delivery ebikes in NYC area are (non brand) Chinese made throttle only set up.
It's a tough situation. This crackdown is most likely related to pressure from a specific community rather than a citywide police initiative. It certainly could become a model for which other precincts follow.

The current fine is $1000 for the first offense and considering most of these bikes cost ~$1500 I doubt many of them will be recovered.

They might be inadvertently encouraging riders to use gas powered scooters instead. I'm sure they're not thinking of that though. We were looking into developing a pedal assisted delivery bike that would work well for NYC, but it would take too many resources and we're focused on other matters.

There are some major changes coming to NYC I'm sure. Unfortunately it seems there are many that are going to be hurt in the process. If it was up to me all classes would be legal, but judging by discussions we've had with the mayors office and other elected officials.

I guess we'll see what happens. Feel free to reach out if anyone is interested in working on this.

One of the most challenging situations in NYC streets is crossing promptly and safely across intersections and that's were the throttle shines. You can even do that while you toes are touching the road. This, to me, is a safety feature of the throttle. So I don't see why the throttle is hated so much by lawmakers.

In contrast, there is no horsepower limit for cars or limits for special operating features, you just have to observe the posted speed limit. Even then, many professional road cyclists can pedal faster than many class 3 ebikes.

Many have recently been commenting and reaching out regarding a recent crackdown on throttle activated ebikes in NYC. This was just throttle activated bikes and targeted primarily at commercial cyclists. It doesn't impact our shop much because we only sell pedal assisted bikes, but still stinks.

Throttle activated bikes have been illegal in NYC since 2004 and the enforcement has been sporadic. There seems to be a new approach for handling this now, particularly in some precincts. This is bringing some much needed attention to this issue in NYC and NYS. I feel we're getting closer and closer to having clear laws for ebikes in NY, but it's always been the case that bikes with throttles are illegal in NYC. Unfortunately the press often don't take the time to make this distinction, but we're clear on it.

We've even went to court to prove that pedal-assist bikes are not illegal under the NYC law that deems throttle bikes illegal. It would be our preference to allow for both, but through speaking with many politicians and city officials, it seems pretty clear that they're not going to support any legislation that allows for both. I think we're getting closer on passing some clear legislation and hopefully this press will help more people to understand the importance of this issue.

I got my ebike confiscated when they set up traps on First Ave. If anyone knows of a way out of the fine please let me know. I have to go to court in June. I'm not sure if it's worth it to pay the fine for the bike if it's 1k for your first offense. By the way, when they took the bike they didn't care if it was throttle or not, they said they were taking all motorized bikes. So beware. Take the west side if you ride in manhattan. I think they purposely target the delivery guys on first ave when they do VisionZero. Quite an unjust law.

Harry L, that sucks.

I suspect they profile in NYC. If Woody Allen's grand kids were ebiking thru Manhattan's Central park, they would be left alone, but if you look like a delivery guy, you're busted.

Is your e-bike a throttle?
The bike is both pedal assist and throttle. But the pedal assist is always on. You can't turn it off. Not sure if that falls into the category that would exempt the ticket. But I wonder if I should plead not guilty and try to challenge it based on my bike being pedal assist all the time.

From The Daily Gazette:
Coalition Pushing for E-Bikes in Albany
"A coalition supporting the expansion of electric bicycle use in New York held a product demonstration Wednesday at the Empire State Plaza in Albany, right outside the legislative offices of state lawmakers whose support they’re seeking to secure."
From The Daily Gazette: "The coalition is spearheaded by the New York Bicycling Coalition “The law is a problem in this area, and the bills are a way to bring New York into the 21st century when it comes to the modern bicycle,” said former Department of Environmental Conservation commissioner Joe Martens, who has signed on to the effort."

looks we're headed for the continual fragmentation of ebike laws in the US. Legal in one state, criminal in another. As a gun owner I'm used to it though.

The blurb I read indicated that the powers that be in Albany are considering just following the Federal regs, 750w, 20 mph. Lobbying also by People for Bikes and the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association. No mention of any higher speed classification.

Back