NYC Electric Bike Law

My answer, They'd still get profiled and busted. It's not the bike. It's the rider they want off the street. While Alec Baldwin did get arrested for riding against traffic on his bike, he could ride in the right direction on a throttled bike with a bag of food and not get busted.

02-gallery_main-alec-baldwin.jpg

Honest question: Why don't the delivery workers simply remove their throttles and just use PAS? It would be still better than a normal, non-motorized bike and they wouldn't have to worry about the police. Is there something about the throttle that makes it mandatory for delivery?
Agree! Seems like a no-brainer. Are they that difficult to un-hook?

Read this short thread, it'll answer your question.

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...sting-rule-to-allow-pedal-assist-bikes.22472/

Thanks for all the replies but no one has been able to explain why delivery guys NEED to have a throttle. Why can't they get around using just pedal assist? Before ebikes, most deliveries were made with regular bikes, so PAS is still and improvement. But now they act like have a throttle is life or death.

Thanks for all the replies but no one has been able to explain why delivery guys NEED to have a throttle. Why can't they get around using just pedal assist? Before ebikes, most deliveries were made with regular bikes, so PAS is still and improvement. But now they act like have a throttle is life or death.

The easiest and cheapest way to power an ebike is with the use of throttle. The earliest ebikes were throttle only and these ebikes were running on heavy lead acid batteries. You can modulate the power exactly on how much you need, especially when starting from a dead stop. However, once you get moving you only need partial throttling and your hand gets tired and numb. Unsteady partial throttling consumes more energy.

I had the throttle only full suspension Rayos ebike and I can understand why pedal assist makes more sense. Pedal assist coordinates with your own leg effort. However, it's from the dead stop that throttle has the best utility since you can safely and forcefully accelerate while you are still in the process of raising your legs to the pedals. Torque sensors help a little in that situation but the exact metering of the power can vary from person to person and the amount of power provided is not as precise as using a throttle.
1531527169862.png

Once the ebike is already running, PAS is better than using a throttle. I added a crude controller for my PAS that is linked to the throttle itself
and neutralized the return spring of my throttle so it can stay open as the power passes through the rudimentary dial type controller (PWM modulator).

1531528418447.png

The simple answer as to why we need throttle is it is very cheap and very easy to operate and very useful especially when crossing a street. The same reasons are also used to ban it since many low quality and unsafe ebikes use throttle only.

For me the throttle is an innocent character that got dragged into a messy ebike regulation.

Last edited:
The easiest and cheapest way to power an ebike is with the use of throttle. The earliest ebikes were throttle only and these ebikes were running on heavy lead acid batteries. You can modulate the power exactly on how much you need, especially when starting from a dead stop. However, once you get moving you only need partial throttling and your hand gets tired and numb. Unsteady partial throttling consumes more energy.

I had the throttle only full suspension Rayos ebike and I can understand why pedal assist makes more sense. Pedal assist coordinates with your own leg effort. However, it's from the dead stop that throttle has the best utility since you can safely and forcefully accelerate while you are still in the process of raising your legs to the pedals. Torque sensors help a little in that situation but the exact metering of the power can vary from person to person and the amount of power provided is not as precise as using a throttle.
View attachment 23626

Once the ebike is already running, PAS is better than using a throttle. I added a crude controller for my PAS that is linked to the throttle itself
and neutralized the return spring of my throttle so it can stay open as the power passes through the rudimentary dial type controller (PWM modulator).

View attachment 23627

The simple answer as to why we need throttle is it is very cheap and very easy to operate and very useful especially when crossing a street. The same reasons are also used to ban it since many low quality and unsafe ebikes use throttle only.

For me the throttle is an innocent character that got dragged into a messy ebike regulation.
Appreciate that explanation.
On my bike, which is fairly new and has a throttle + PAS, I think the throttle can be disabled and eliminated in about five minutes. So I have been wondering what's the big deal with doing the same in New York City. and also that it can't be determined whether it's OEM or not.

Folk are still getting fined for riding a Class 2 under throttle power in NYC.

Back