NYC Electric Bike Law

See 8:45, the mayor is specifying that pedal assist is different, not that that should be necessary.

He was a bit murky there...it could be interpreted as that there's an exception for "people with disabilities" to ride "pedal assisted" bikes. Is there a hard-code we can reference regarding this? And on that subject; since the cops need to have a reasonable understanding of these laws, just as we all do, shouldn't there be a summarized guide of what's permissible? This video paddles on for an entire hour, I'm sure the laws could be presented for the layman rather simply in a few paragraphs.

I'm dying to get in there and tool around on my FatSix; thanks for clarifying, but I'm having visions of trying to convince an NYPD rookie that my bike's legal. I've seriously considered this possibility, and would likely flee if they tried to unnecessarily impound my very expensive property.
That might make for a great YouTube clip: “NY Police Chase Illegal E-biker”. My popcorn is at the ready.

HAPPENING NOW!
Listen Live WNYC The Brian Lehrer Show EBIKE DEBATE REVISITED

WNYC Radio Talk Show: 10:00 am to noon

UPDATE: Listen to show
I just caught up to this thread and listened to that broadcast. The pedal cyclist that called in with concerns about 60 mph ebikes passing him in the bike lane went unchallenged. I wish the academics and so called experts publicly discussing ebikes would get the facts straight and challenge the misinformation. By any measure, the power to go 60 MPH is a motorcycle. Thanks for posting the link.

Shameful Scenes From de Blasio’s Crackdown on Delivery Workers Who Use Electric Bikes

From NYC Street Blog: "Announced last fall, de Blasio’s crackdown was triggered by Upper West Side resident Matthew Shefler, whose complaints about e-bike riders were amplified by WNYC. The city has produced no data to back up the mayor’s contention that training NYPD traffic enforcement resources on delivery workers — many of whom are immigrants, middle-aged or older, who need e-bikes to meet the physical demands of the job — will make streets safer.

To the contrary, available information suggests the e-bike threat is all but non-existent. In the latest installment of his essay on de Blasio’s war on delivery workers — read it here — Biking Public Project organizer Do Lee says that, according to NYPD, statistics on injuries determined to be caused by e-bike riders are lumped with other cyclist-caused crashes. Writes Lee: In NYC, cyclist-caused injuries comprise only a tiny fraction of all traffic-related injuries — in 2016 for example, cyclists caused only about half of one percent (0.5% or 311 of 60,399) of all traffic injuries. Thus e-bike riders as a fraction of this number are simply not causing a high rate of injuries.

At a recent Community Board 7 meeting, the 20th Precinct, which covers the Upper West Side, said that out of 58 bike crashes in 2017, only one involved an e-bike rider, according to Village Voice reporter Christopher Robbins."

If you really want to fight climate change, you can't just sue Big Oil. You also have to embrace e-bike delivery

From Outside.com via Bike Snob NYC: "Despite being the President’s birthplace and home to his eponymous tower, New York City isn't exactly Trump Country. For this reason, our elected officials go out of their way to define themselves in opposition to the current administration. One way Mayor Bill de Blasio has done this is by taking a strong public stance against climate change. To that end, he recently announced that New York City will sue Shell, Exxon, BP, Chevron, and Conoco Phillips, as well as sell off its fossil fuel investments, which are worth billions. Like any smug city-dwelling pedal-pusher, I’m no fan of big oil, and like any New Yorker, I'm flattered by the hat tip to our moxie. Yet as any veteran of a schoolyard square-off knows, there are two virtually risk-free ways to come off like a tough guy without having to actually throw (or, more crucially, take) any punches:

1) Pick on someone you're sure you can beat up;

2) Threaten the big lummox with no friends.

The lawsuit and pension fund divestment announcement are textbook Tactic #2. After all, who likes the oil companies? When it comes to corporations that people hate passionately yet still continue to patronize, Big Oil is right up there with banks and Facebook. Then there’s Tactic #1, which de Blasio has also wielded over the past few months. Every bully needs a victim who won't hit back, and to that end, the mayor's taken to picking on delivery people and e-bikes."

I read an account of a NYC ebiker who had his bike seized last month and given a $500 ticket in return, after he pays the fine. He needs a driver license and proof of purchase to get his bike back. He was just riding for fun on a park path.

Ridiculous and I cancelled a proposed trip to NYC for May. My hotel and restaurant money will be spent elsewhere.

BRAIN today: NYC to allow pedelecs, bans throttles.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...ist-e-bikes-bans-throttled-bikes#.WsPYUiUpA0M

Tech Crunch today: NYC paves way for ebike share.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcr...es-the-way-for-pedal-assist-bike-sharing/amp/

NY Business Journal today: New York City’s Department of Transportation (NYCDOT) will begin the process of amending an existing rule to allow for the use of pedal-assist bikes in the City of New York.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...k-dot-to-allow-pedal-assist-bicycles.amp.html

Last edited:
I'm happy for you because at least legislatively you have a nail where you can hold on, better or worse but it's better than nothing

I have a throttle on my bike and love the available option. Sorry for you New York folks who won't be able to enjoy it. But I understand the unfortunate abuse that has occurred in NYC. Like so many things, a few jerks mess it up for the rest of us. ( Reminds me of the guy who had explosives in his shoes at the airport... now the entire country has to take off our shoes...). I do applaud the mayor and officials for nuancing the issue and approving the pedal assist. Seems like the best outcome that could be expected. So NYers, time to go all-in into Ebikes!

The outlawing of throttles is really a direct attack on delivery workers who scare affluent pedestrians walking around. Strange that the city uses this law to draw a line in the sand to keep harass delivery workers but allow pedal assist for the affluent. The result of this policy is the police targeting minorities on ebikes because they assume they are the delivery guys. My bike being taken away as an example even though I'm just a commuter, I fit the profile of a chinese restaurant delivery guy. Since my first ebike was confiscated, I switched to a throttle-less ebike but I still got stopped. But when I start talking about the how my bike is legal in perfect english they apologize and say, "oh i'm sorry we thought you were the other kind of ebiker with the throttle." But what they really mean is.. oh, so you're not a chinese delivery guy. Kinda sad.

I believe the real solution is to create laws that make food delivery a living wage job with insurance for legal or illegal immigrants so there is no pressure to speed or ride unsafely. Also a license should be necessary for delivery workers so bad riders can be tracked and have their licenses eventually taken away. Ultimately, you can't stop people from wanting food delivery and you can't stop the use of ebikes but I think you can change the way the delivery workers use the bikes if they don't have incentives to speed.

Honest question: Why don't the delivery workers simply remove their throttles and just use PAS? It would be still better than a normal, non-motorized bike and they wouldn't have to worry about the police. Is there something about the throttle that makes it mandatory for delivery?

Honest question: Why don't the delivery workers simply remove their throttles and just use PAS? It would be still better than a normal, non-motorized bike and they wouldn't have to worry about the police. Is there something about the throttle that makes it mandatory for delivery?
Agree! Seems like a no-brainer. Are they that difficult to un-hook?

Back