Not riding again until I install mirrors

FrankR

Region
USA
City
Milky Way Galaxy
I have ridden several times now with my new eBike, and literally loving every minute.
On my last short ride - rain - I decided - no mass until I put mirrors on.

The path I take has a bike path for much, but not all, of the path. It also has, at times, significant traffic, with traffic merges happening in a couple of places.
A couple of times, I really needed a better view of what was behind me, beyond my quick head check.
Mirrors are on the way, probably touching down today, and I will feel better riding with those.

I'm actually a little mad at myself for getting started without them. I am a former motorcycle rider, and I have the safety training.
It really is essential to have at least one mirror.

It seems most of my riding anymore on the Haibike Full FatSix is done on roadway shoulders. Only just a few months ago have I gone to using a mirror. I don't worry much about what "mountain bikers" might think about having a handlebar mounted mirror on an off-road, fat tired bicycle, cause that world (or at least on some forums), is an over-blown, super duper macho manly world of fake braggodocio that isn't going to be of much help to me when I get clipped by a passing garbage truck, Amazon delivery semi or some local yokel texting at 20 over the speed limit.

Hafny mirror. Handlebar mount (it could be a bit higher to allow my hands to move about freely on the bar end grip). A real game changer in riding safety that I wish I had done years ago!

100_5859.JPG

It’s no wonder that the Garmin Varia radar units are starting to appear all over the place. I see someone with one almost every day on rides now, bike path or not. Some of the new Cannondale come with them, and I expect the rest of the big companies will start to offer them as well.

So far the mirror is good enough for me, but I could see putting one on my Creo in the near future.

I have one ebike that I use downtown for errands and grocery runs, with folding bar end mirrors on both sides. The other commuter and trail bike has one long-arm standard mirror.

When riding IN traffic, including combined bike lanes (Painted-line separation only), I would definitely call them essential for my use.

If you have one of the larger ebikes, or lots of junk on your handlebars including the those really wide Bafang throttles, the extra-long-arm versions help with mounting options.

I just got myself two Hafny E13 mirrors the other day. I mounted them inboard of the brake levers on my RadMission, and while I could wish they were further out, I did not want to move the brake levers inside of them. I, too, am also a motorcyclist, and whilst I have been riding my bicycles for years without mirrors, I’m now old enough that turning around is becoming more difficult, and so now I have dual mirrors. The only odd thing is that on motorcycles, I’m more used to fairing-mounted mirrors that don’t move with the handlebars.

Last edited:
It’s no wonder that the Garmin Varia radar units are starting to appear all over the place. I see someone with one almost every day on rides now, bike path or not. Some of the new Cannondale come with them, and I expect the rest of the big companies will start to offer them as well.

So far the mirror is good enough for me, but I could see putting one on my Creo in the near future.

i've ridden a bike with a mirror a few times, and for some reason find it very distracting, requiring changing my visual focus too much, especially while riding fast. it seems easier for me to listen to the varia chimes, see the color of the readout in my downward peripheral vision, and just turn my head. perhaps it's because the bars on a drop bar road bike are relatively low, or something about my vision.

specialized also now offers integrated varia on some bikes. i wouldn't do a long ride without one.

Just came back from my first ride with the mirror.

I only mounted one for now. It was actually a bit of a pain until I figured out the easy way to do it. [I'm not the brightest handy person on the planet.]

I'm thinking I might also try it down below and evaluate that. I never thought of that, but I see some of you doing that and it working out for you.

I'm about to set up my old emtb as a commuter for the kids so REALY appreciate this thread.

Are there any quickly removable mirrors that provide motorbike levels of clarity? I had intended to try a double take mirror - I have plenty of RAM mounts from decades of adv motorbike riding, but if there us something a bit less cosmetically awkward that'd be nice

i've ridden a bike with a mirror a few times, and for some reason find it very distracting, requiring changing my visual focus too much, especially while riding fast. it seems easier for me to listen to the varia chimes, see the color of the readout in my downward peripheral vision, and just turn my head. perhaps it's because the bars on a drop bar road bike are relatively low, or something about my vision.

specialized also now offers integrated varia on some bikes. i wouldn't do a long ride without one.

I’m in the same boat. I tried for a few weeks to get used to a mirror for my SF commutes, it always felt awkward. I have the Varia on every ride and only turn it off when I get to the trails. I absolutely love it. I still do the shoulder check when merging or turning left in traffic but it’s really just out of habit and has turned into a signal of intention to any drivers behind me.

I added a mirror right away also. I don’t know if it’s because you ride a little faster on an e bike and get more wind noise, but it almost seemed like a requirement.

Mirror? A big comfort factor for me since all our riding is on roads. They're lightly travelled and I usually hear the vehicle long before it's near, but seeing what it is, how fast, and how it's driven still makes me feel safer.
I have a bar end mirror. It's interesting how crowded the bar is on ebikes - not much space left over for anything after brake levers, shifters, ebike controls and mounts for displays.

Mirror? A big comfort factor for me since all our riding is on roads. They're lightly travelled and I usually hear the vehicle long before it's near, but seeing what it is, how fast, and how it's driven still makes me feel safer.
I have a bar end mirror. It's interesting how crowded the bar is on ebikes - not much space left over for anything after brake levers, shifters, ebike controls and mounts for displays.

I'm noticing that. Already put a cell phone holder on and took it off. Didn't find it necessary.

Back