Not asking, just making a point.

I had this on a bike. It was routed through frame. Shift cable comes in all classes. Big box store bikes typically have under $2 cables with junky housings. An NX level of build IMO deserves the good stuff. You will notice and appreciate the difference with high-end housing and highly polished, non-stretch cable. My technique may not be the same as what others do. I would first extract the housing, leaving the cable in place. Then I would use shrink tube to attach the new housing to the old cable to guide it though the frame. Then I would route the new cable through the new housing with CLP gun oil inside the housing. The derailleur has the lock button. Lock it. Be careful to route the cable through the little hole and around the pully. Oh, make sure that the shifter is set to the highest gear before doing anything. Use needle-nose Vicegrip to pull the cable while securing it. If the rear barrel adjuster is in a middle to fully lax position you can adjust the tension either way. The Bontrager Elite Kit from your local Trek dealer gives everything you need and it is the good stuff.

View attachment 165128

Is this a safe place to point out that " an nx level of build" is the budget end for sram ? ( the price point where sram are trying to steal sales from shimano by offering stam cassettes that fir shimano hubs )

And before anyone yells " tribal" - MY bike came with nx , although when I replaced the rear wheel recently I hedged my bets and bought one that came with both hg and sram freehubs. ( I'm still uncertain if the next derailleur / cassette failure will be my trigger for binning the 12 sp )

budget end for sram
I yanked that NX Eagle 11 speed and went with a more robust generic microshift knock-off nine speed on that bike. It is not sexy. It just is reliable and practical.

You don’t need a meter if you got a service package/warranty with your high-end bike. You won’t work on it, just make an appointment to take it to the shop.

Around here there is a shop that will sell you an electric bike with a $600 five-year maintenance plan. The plan does not cover any parts. It also does not include the motor, battery, display, wiring or anything electronic. It also does not include ware and tear items. It is not transferable.

You don’t need a meter if you got a service package/warranty with your high-end bike. You won’t work on it, just make an appointment to take it to the shop.
That is the point. You pay more for the e-bike to get a great warranty and service.
Funny to think my Vado SL has never broken, and it is 2 years and 4 months since the purchase.
I even do not own a multimeter :)

I try really hard to NOT void warranties. My bike had a one year warranty. At about eight months in, I upgraded my controller, then added lights and I just can’t stop. I love my bike. Which is really the point. Love your bike. Whichever bike. Make it yours, you bought it! :)

1698002159323.png

I was wrong. A little self-doubt goes a long way. It is $750. When it includes a 'Pro' tune-up.

View attachment 165208
I was wrong. A little self-doubt goes a long way. It is $750. When it includes a 'Pro' tune-up.
Sounds expensive, at first. The Pro plan would be great, because you’ll have issues taken care of before they actually become an issue (in theroy). The real bummer is when a repair has your bike out for multiple days or you wait for parts.

Back