No throttle, how do you..

Who here in this thread has been anti-throttle???
Perhaps nobody in this particular thread but if you hang around the forum long enough you see basically 2 groups of posters. LBS fanboys and DTC fanboys. (and girls) The LBS fanboys tend to be the support your local LBS (which I think is commendable) and drive a Trek and the DTC fanboys range from guys that build them themselves or buy a box from China. Perhaps I am oversimplifying, but not by much. The LBS guys generally are anti throttle while the DTC guys want value and aint afraid to fix their throttle laden bikes. Thats my take after 3 or 4 months on board...

I love having a throttle at the end of a 15 mile ride on a stretch of bikepath when it is 100 degrees and I'm spent. Push the button and give your legs a rest for a minute or so. I also love it to get off the line at a stop light. I'm just really confused by the hard core middrive guys that seem anti-throttle and are borderline rude to guys that prefer throttles... 🍿
15. mile ride and you're won out on a e bike? after 50 I am pretty worn out but I shut crank the assist level up.

I am pretty sure you can add a throttle to the M600, I do not remember if it has walk mode or not but it probably does

I love having a throttle at the end of a 15 mile ride on a stretch of bikepath when it is 100 degrees and I'm spent. Push the button and give your legs a rest for a minute or so.
I just press the + button to get into the Turbo mode at the last couple of km. My typical ride is 50 miles. If I want to give rest to my tired legs, I take a break.

I'm just really confused by the hard core middrive guys that seem anti-throttle and are borderline rude to guys that prefer throttles...
If I wanted a throttle, I would have bought an e-motorcycle or a proper e-scooter. First of all, the whole idea of the mid-drive is to assist, not to replace pedalling. Using the throttle doesn't do anything good to your health. Pedalling does.

There's a few climbs that I can't ride up. Walk mode doesn't help and I doubt a throttle would either. Sometimes, you just have to negotiate
7391712A-6B81-4FA7-B270-214D78CB78CE.jpeg

I've also not ridden a throttle eBike that the throttle is so finely regulated or slow enough to be a walk mode.

FWIW, I use the throttle to "walk" my Pedego Interceptor without any problems. I keep one hand on the brake just in case though.

Lar,
Granted a touchy subject, but you asked a generic question and got a bunch of generic replies. Perhaps if you had asked a more specific question? Maybe specific to the M600? My bet would be they are all the same when it comes to features. Doesn't make much difference what bike it's mounted in, or who builds it. I don't have the answer for you, but it would seem a little research, with proper focus, may get you your answer. Or have you been that route already?

Walk mode is often related to the controller and it's buttons, not the throttle. For a Bafang controller for instance, you hold the '-' button to activate walk mode and keep it depressed as long as you want the walk assist.

There's a few climbs that I can't ride up. Walk mode doesn't help and I doubt a throttle would either. Sometimes, you just have to negotiate
Thats been my experience as well(including sections like that shown), I have never used walk mode offroad. In fact, I have no idea how to engage it. The only time I tried going up a few steps to my front door(which is about as steep as anything I have encountered offroad), I accidently pushed the wrong button and changed my display from km/hr to mph (which turned out to be a good thing). I just lift the bike to unweight the wheels and let them roll up the stairs as I push it up.

For any section that is actually ridable, I have had no problems going to highest level of assist and lowest gear and just pedaling. For sections that arent ridable I use many different techniques depending on the situation.

Walk mode is often related to the controller and it's buttons, not the throttle. For a Bafang controller for instance, you hold the '-' button to activate walk mode and keep it depressed as long as you want the walk assist.
Looks to be the case and the boost mode sounds like it can be used for a full power on off switch?!
Now if I can add the T word to it I'd be set. Have asked the dealer and their answer was you may be able too so I don't know if it has a jack or if it requires some wire modification.

The other thing is I'm not finding a replacement throttle designated for the m600. Some for the bbshd and BBS02 are available but doesn't note for use with the m600.

Screenshot_20201025-141729.png

Yeah that's what I was asking about... Care to elaborate?!
The techniques are so varied, its hard to describe/categorize.

Usually it ends up being some sort of way to use the bike as leverage(by locking brakes) depending of where the wheels are. Lift the front wheel here, lock the front wheel, move the back there lock it etc...

For Extreme situations I will rest the tip of the saddle on my shoulder with the top tube under my arm and my hand holding onto the downtube. Im a big guy so its doable although you have to be VERY careful with balance and foot placement.

Technically, you will always have more options with a throttle (starting in a rut where the pedals would strike the ground, or even an offcamber section where you cant pedal).

That being said, I have never personally thought I needed one offroad. I do have a throttle on my juiced CCX and really just use it when I want to stand up for a section and rest

Reactions: Lar
Today was riding my no suspension fat tire ebike in a two black diamond boulder section traversing on the side of a mountain that dropped into a wash then right back out. I have one good shoulder, throttle or not wasn't going to happen. Turned around like loser..

Perhaps nobody in this particular thread but if you hang around the forum long enough you see basically 2 groups of posters. LBS fanboys and DTC fanboys. (and girls) The LBS fanboys tend to be the support your local LBS (which I think is commendable) and drive a Trek and the DTC fanboys range from guys that build them themselves or buy a box from China. Perhaps I am oversimplifying, but not by much. The LBS guys generally are anti throttle while the DTC guys want value and aint afraid to fix their throttle laden bikes. Thats my take after 3 or 4 months on board...
Well said Taylor and a gentleman at that :)

Thats a pretty blatant generalization/oversimplification and just wrong for many of us, not only in the simplified categories but in their apparent motives and abilities as well.

Perhaps an easier oversimplification is there are those who try to categorize people and those who dont?

Last edited:
Thats a pretty blatant generalization/oversimplification and just wrong for many of us, not only in the simplified categories but in their apparent motives and abilities as well.

Perhaps an easier oversimplification is there are those who try to categorize people and those who dont?
1603690260914.png

Last edited:
Back