No throttle, how do you..

Thats a pretty blatant generalization/oversimplification and just wrong for many of us, not only in the simplified categories but in their apparent motives and abilities as well.

Perhaps an easier oversimplification is there are those who try to categorize people and those who dont?

So I'm guessin you are LBS no throttle

Oh boy. Can we stop with the us vs. them crap, please? Who cares which you are! Your opinion is more than welcome, but maybe we could keep the I'm right, you're wrong to a minimum? Just sayin....

I love having a throttle at the end of a 15 mile ride on a stretch of bikepath when it is 100 degrees and I'm spent. Push the button and give your legs a rest for a minute or so. I also love it to get off the line at a stop light. I'm just really confused by the hard core middrive guys that seem anti-throttle and are borderline rude to guys that prefer throttles... 🍿
Perhaps not in this thread but throttles are indeed a hot button topic here on EBR.
I never understood the anti throttle sentiment either until I had a recent discussion with a PA. DCNR park ranger. He noticed the sentiment as well. In discussing the subject with other e-bikers, quite a few said they are afraid that throttled bikes will get ALL ebikes banned. I suppose the argument has some merit but I have yet to see class 2 and 3 bikes tooling around throttle only without pedaling. The ranger noted one comment form a younger rider who complained that throttles will allow a lot of old guys to ride and clog up the trails.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether it's valid or not.

Perhaps not in this thread but throttles are indeed a hot button topic here on EBR.
I never understood the anti throttle sentiment either until I had a recent discussion with a PA. DCNR park ranger. He noticed the sentiment as well. In discussing the subject with other e-bikers, quite a few said they are afraid that throttled bikes will get ALL ebikes banned. I suppose the argument has some merit but I have yet to see class 2 and 3 bikes tooling around throttle only without pedaling. The ranger noted one comment form a younger rider who complained that throttles will allow a lot of old guys to ride and clog up the trails.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether it's valid or not.
Now wait just a durn burn minute! Stefan liked this comment?! :eek: 🤣

I never understood the anti throttle sentiment either until I had a recent discussion with a PA. DCNR park ranger. He noticed the sentiment as well. In discussing the subject with other e-bikers, quite a few said they are afraid that throttled bikes will get ALL ebikes banned.
I've had a great many conversations with land managers and people who maintain trails. 100% of them have a big problem with e-bikes with throttles. I've also sat in on focus groups where cyclists discuss allowing e-bikes on trails. Again, 100% of them have a big problem with e-bikes with throttles. A majority of the cyclists will at least tolerate straight-up pedal assist bikes.

I found it interesting that the Class I/Class III distinction isn't generally considered as big a deal as a throttle.

The choice we're going to be forced to make, I suspect, is whether e-bikes be allowed on bike infra of any kind or whether e-bikes can have throttles. That isn't a fair or even reasonable decision, but as adults we need to acknowledge that at times the options we are faced with are ugly and few. It is not going to be possible to persuade and educate enough people to effectively change that fact.

I've had a great many conversations with land managers and people who maintain trails. 100% of them have a big problem with e-bikes with throttles. I've also sat in on focus groups where cyclists discuss allowing e-bikes on trails. Again, 100% of them have a big problem with e-bikes with throttles. A majority of the cyclists will at least tolerate straight-up pedal assist bikes.

I found it interesting that the Class I/Class III distinction isn't generally considered as big a deal as a throttle.

The choice we're going to be forced to make, I suspect, is whether e-bikes be allowed on bike infra of any kind or whether e-bikes can have throttles. That isn't a fair or even reasonable decision, but as adults we need to acknowledge that at times the options we are faced with are ugly and few. It is not going to be possible to persuade and educate enough people to effectively change that fact.
Fair enough!

Back