No motorized vehicles allowed

net200777

I know technically an electric motor is an electric motor. I'm not familiar with all of the bike laws class 1 and all that. When you see a sign posted no Motor Vehicles allowed does this apply to the electric assisted mountain bikes?

If one were ever stopped by law enforcement, I would suggest they "politely" comment that they thought the sign was meant for cars and hopefully get off with a warning. Technically though, it could apply to all motors. I think one needs to look at the sign's original intent.

A short portion of my daily commute involves the Pearl Harbor Bike Path, which is the only "scenic" bike path we have on the island of O'ahu. It has a few good viewing spots but it primarily runs behind retail stores and through unkept wasteland used for petroleum pipeline access. About midway on the Path there is a sign stating "No motorized vehicles". The sign is not at the trailhead where you would expect it, so that would be my defense IF I were ever cited riding an ebike (hoping to purchase one in the coming weeks).

Now, the sign was put there before ebikes appeared on the radar. It's purpose was to warn moped riders, motorcycles and cars. Believe it or not, I've seen all three on this Path at one time or another. Due to the fact that the government entity in charge of the Path won't replace the broken stanchion at the trailhead, the homeless were able to drive their vehicles on the Path and park next to their illegal campsites in plain view. Local law enforcement didn't do anything about it then, so I seriously doubt they would stop a cyclist who was actively pedaling his ebike. The only time law enforcement did any "enforcing" on the Path was when pedestrians started complaining about mopeds buzzing up and down nearly running them over. For a day or two, moped riders were cited and then law enforcement headed back to the donut shop.

If the trail or path you're looking to ride on with your ebike is monitored by a group of individuals looking to blame ebike riders for their troubles in life, you probably won't have a prayer. Otherwise, it's your call. Ride responsibly, and if you ever get cited look for a new place to ride.

What that law probably means is that purpose-built bike paths (e.g. Burke-Gilman Trail, Tommy Thompson Trail, Olympic Discovery Trail) in Washington will allow e-bikes. Since e-bikes are "street legal" nearly all roads on USFS, BLM, and DNR land would all be open to e-bikes.

Single-track trails would not be open to e-bikes unless they explicitly allowed e-bikes.

In practice as long as you are reasonably discreet and not a jerk you will be fine.

Mr. Coffee, rode a 12 mile chunk of the Olympic Discovery Trail a couple weeks back, saw 4 other ebikes. All cool
about respecting other traffic. The new stretches from Disco Bay & outside of Blyn make a nice addition. Now if they'd
only do something with that shoulderless bit of hwy 20 from Port Townsend. Where are you? I ride outa Hadlock.

Tahola's more my style, rez chic, perfect place for a beach bike. I've built a nice one runs on gas. Way more range
& power than my CCS, not a cheap Chinese chain-drive kit. Pedals nicely without power, has the cleanest 2-stoke made,
I recently upgraded to the same 9 spd, trigger shift setup on the CCS, but with a custom 50/40/26 in front. I'm planning to
travel with both bikes & one of my roadies soon. The CCS is a terrific bike on pavement; the gasser goes anywhere.

I ride up to Tahola a couple of times each time I am out here.

From where I am staying if I can get my bike across the scary pontoon bridge it is an easy ride to Ocean Shores. Yes, Ocean Shores is a dump but the beach riding is awesome along that stretch.

I ride up to Tahola a couple of times each time I am out here.

From where I am staying if I can get my bike across the scary pontoon bridge it is an easy ride to Ocean Shores. Yes, Ocean Shores is a dump but the beach riding is awesome along that stretch.

Nice having a purpose-built beach ride. What I love about Tahola is that they''re completely unaware of the rat race &
there's no pretense. It's a place where kids can play & get dirty without being yelled at. There's definitely no urgency
to get things done. Stress free living!

I know technically an electric motor is an electric motor. I'm not familiar with all of the bike laws class 1 and all that. When you see a sign posted no Motor Vehicles allowed does this apply to the electric assisted mountain bikes?

Depends what your state says. In Virginia, an electric bike is defined as vehicles and not motor vehicles. "any device herein defined as a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped shall be deemed not to be a motor vehicle." - Title 46.2

I see "No Motor Vehicles" and know it doesn't apply to e-bikes. There are still ignorant people out there that will tell you otherwise, but I would check with the state first.

Ebikes are not motor vehicles in most of the US states, but they can be still be considered a motorized vehicle under your local laws. Its usually a good idea to ask around to see what the deal is where you ride, but don't be a jerk and you'll be fine just about everywhere.

Depends what your state says. In Virginia, an electric bike is defined as vehicles and not motor vehicles. "any device herein defined as a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped shall be deemed not to be a motor vehicle." - Title 46.2

I see "No Motor Vehicles" and know it doesn't apply to e-bikes. There are still ignorant people out there that will tell you otherwise, but I would check with the state first.
"But officer, this 1000W BBSHD equipped ebike is my 'personal assistive mobility device'." In this PC world we live in now, it's worth a try.

If you have a local shop that sells e-bikes, ask them. The folks in my local shop are very knowledgeable about the state and local regulations regarding e-bikes.

The way the law's written here, if you display a reflective triangle & stay at 20mph or less your considered a slow moving
vehicle like a tractor. I still prefer the 'personal mobility device' angle. With all my wounds, I could probably get a disability
placard, but that's kinda cheeken sheet. Besides, then I'd have to see a doctor & expose myself to ill persons.

Attachments

• nq160527.gif
    nq160527.gif
    75.4 KB · Views: 911
Back