No motorized vehicles allowed

I'm only interested in singletracks. I love my Class I pedelec and don't need more than 20 mph for the trails. I just hate to see rules banning these bikes as they aren't fastest out there, they don't cause more damage - wtf..

Sport mode does seem to devour charge rather quickly. I only use it to set up on a hill.
I'm only interested in singletracks. I love my Class I pedelec and don't need more than 20 mph for the trails. I just hate to see rules banning these bikes as they aren't fastest out there, they don't cause more damage - wtf..

There do seem to be a lot of rules designed to keep us in automobiles, paying fees, & insurance. Back in a different century in the
state where I grew up, if you were 14 years old & on anything with less than 6 hp. you were good to go,no license or insurance. Times
have changed & our liberties have dwindled away.

Last edited:
Sport mode does seem to devour charge rather quickly. I only use it to set up on a hill.

There do seem to be a lot of rules designed to keep us in automobiles, paying fees, & insurance. Back in a different century in the
state where I grew, if you were 14 years old & on anything with less than 6 hp. you were good to go,no license or insurance. Times
have changed & our liberties have dwindled away.
And it's near impossible to get a right or privilege back once it's taken away.

I think you had better brush up on the local laws on the No Motor Vehicles Allowed.. In Florida no one pays attention to signs so it is whatever the police feel like enforcing and they don't care in Miami.

I have my opinion what it means, but you need to find the state statutes on Ebikes and Motor vehicles for clarification.

Probably a good idea, but it makes me feel much the same as I do about seeing a doctor. If there's sumpin'
wrong, I'm not sure I want to know.

I know technically an electric motor is an electric motor. I'm not familiar with all of the bike laws class 1 and all that. When you see a sign posted no Motor Vehicles allowed does this apply to the electric assisted mountain bikes?
E bikes are becoming very popular here in the U.S. and it's only a matter of time before irresponsible riders hot dog on bike paths shared with walkers and non powered bikers. There will be a strong cry by by these people to the authorities about their safety and they'll be a demand for strong enforcement. This enforcement will be a green light for states to assess fees such as inspections, registration and possibly license to owners/riders. We riders at present must be responsible for our actions and put ourselves in the other persons place. When approaching other bikers, and especially walkers and children, give way, power down and pedal (within reason) under your own power. Don't be a show off.
This will happen everywhere you allow e bikes. This problem will only get worse in time. I hope that I'm wrong.

Motor vehicles means anything with a motor. Like a battery powered golf cart, and an electric bike if a cop says so

In the National Forest by me, the gate will be locked with a sign that says no motor vehicles.
If you can ride around the gate on any motor vehicle,it is legal. This is from the Forest Service Office.

E bikes are becoming very popular here in the U.S. and it's only a matter of time before irresponsible riders hot dog on bike paths shared with walkers and non powered bikers. There will be a strong cry by by these people to the authorities about their safety and they'll be a demand for strong enforcement. This enforcement will be a green light for states to assess fees such as inspections, registration and possibly license to owners/riders. We riders at present must be responsible for our actions and put ourselves in the other persons place. When approaching other bikers, and especially walkers and children, give way, power down and pedal (within reason) under your own power. Don't be a show off.
This will happen everywhere you allow e bikes. This problem will only get worse in time. I hope that I'm wrong.
I agree with you.I have to remind myself of the 10 percent rule.10 percent of the people don't follow the rules and ruin things that 90 percent of us abide by.I didn't do so well following the rules when I was younger,but as I have aged I slowed down and started following the rules much better.

The way the law's written here, if you display a reflective triangle & stay at 20mph or less your considered a slow moving
vehicle like a tractor. I still prefer the 'personal mobility device' angle. With all my wounds, I could probably get a disability
placard, but that's kinda cheeken sheet. Besides, then I'd have to see a doctor & expose myself to ill persons.
Maybe that would be better phrased as "be exposed to persons with illnesses".

You should be able to go anywhere. An e-bike is an emotional support :D

Supreme Court Justice, Potter Stewart ruled the right to travel is a basic Constitutional right, (Eisenhower admin.)
It did in no way specify the means of travel!

Rather than regulating ebikes into classes, I think the easier solution would be to enforce speed limits because ultimately that's the dangerous part of it all. Speeding next to folks that are walking is dangerous regardless of ebike, road bike, skateboard, etc., and I'm sure most of us have seen situations where even road bikes exceed speeds past 25mph (sometimes even in large groups). There will always be people that modify/build ebikes, and it's way to hard to enforce.

That being said, it's probably hard to imagine enforcing bicycle speed limits, but maybe it's not all that critical because in general, ebikes are far and few, bicycle paths aren't all that congested, and most people are courteous and slow down or have enough space so that they don't endanger slower moving people. As more people use these paths and they get congested, then it might make sense for law enforcement to develop a system to check speeds for everyone across the board regardless of what they are riding.

For those in Virginia:

For motor vehicles, but ebikes in Virginia are described not as motor vehicles but as Electric Power Assisted Bicycles defined as Vehicles (pedal bicycles are also Vehicles) so we are not classed as “Motor Vehicles” in case law. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter1/section46.2-100/

Va. Code § 46.2-100 reads:

"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle as defined in this section that is self-propelled or designed for self-propulsion except as otherwise provided in this title…. [A]ny device herein defined as a bicycle, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped shall be deemed not to be a motor vehicle.”

This was upheld in the case Archer v. Fink, 57 Va. Cir. 354, 2002 Va. Cir. LEXIS 215 (Circuit Court of the City of Charlottesville, Virginia February 7, 2002 ).

I am not a lawyer and this does not constitute legal advice but my understanding is that Ebikes are not motor vehicles in Virginia.

Last edited:
For motor vehicles, but ebikes in Virginia are described not as motor vehicles but as Electric Power Assisted Bicycles defined as Vehicles (pedal bicycles are also Vehicles) so we are not classed as “Motor Vehicles” in case law. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter1/section46.2-100/

Va. Code § 46.2-100 reads:

"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle as defined in this section that is self-propelled or designed for self-propulsion except as otherwise provided in this title…. [A]ny device herein defined as a bicycle, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped shall be deemed not to be a motor vehicle.”

This was upheld in the case Archer v. Fink, 57 Va. Cir. 354, 2002 Va. Cir. LEXIS 215 (Circuit Court of the City of Charlottesville, Virginia February 7, 2002 ).

I am not a lawyer and this does not constitute legal advice but my understanding is that Ebikes are not motor vehicles in Virginia.
Not a lawyer either but agree that a pedal assist is not. Class 2 may be a bit more gre.

I was researching a potential trip and ride on the Trail Of the Couer d Alenes In Idaho. I saw on a "Friends Of The" site that no ebikes are allowed unless you have a medical condition. There was no mention on the Idaho State Parks site. So I sent the Parks people a message. I asked if Ebikes are not allowed, is it OK to ride without the battery. I think I could do that on a paved railroad grade OK. Here's the reply.

Hello,
At this time electric assist bikes are not allowed on the Trail of the Coeur d’ Alenes. However, we are still able to issue permits to users who have deemed it necessary to use an electric assist in order to enjoy the trail in the same fashion that an average user would. Recently Idaho legislature passed House Bill Number 76, which allows electrical bikes to be considered for the use on public roads and multi-use pathways. This bill leaves the decision to allow electric bikes up to the management of the trail. As the trail is managed by different entities, we are still going through the process of assessing the impact and reviewing possible amendments to the current rule. If you were to remove the battery, this would no longer classify your bike as motorized. If you have deemed it necessary to use an electric assist, I will need the following to issue a permit:
Name
Dates on the trail
Mailing address
Phone number
Type of assist

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Thank you,

I was researching a potential trip and ride on the Trail Of the Couer d Alenes In Idaho. I saw on a "Friends Of The" site that no ebikes are allowed unless you have a medical condition. There was no mention on the Idaho State Parks site. So I sent the Parks people a message. I asked if Ebikes are not allowed, is it OK to ride without the battery. I think I could do that on a paved railroad grade OK. Here's the reply.

Hello,

At this time electric assist bikes are not allowed on the Trail of the Coeur d’ Alenes. However, we are still able to issue permits to users who have deemed it necessary to use an electric assist in order to enjoy the trail in the same fashion that an average user would. Recently Idaho legislature passed House Bill Number 76, which allows electrical bikes to be considered for the use on public roads and multi-use pathways. This bill leaves the decision to allow electric bikes up to the management of the trail. As the trail is managed by different entities, we are still going through the process of assessing the impact and reviewing possible amendments to the current rule. If you were to remove the battery, this would no longer classify your bike as motorized. If you have deemed it necessary to use an electric assist, I will need the following to issue a permit:

Name

Dates on the trail

Mailing address

Phone number

Type of assist

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you,

We have ridden the trail twice this summer on my wife's e-trike and my e-bike. Both times there were other e-bikes on the trail. I do not turn on my bike unless there is a strong head wind. The trail is almost flat with little grades.

Here is a video: https://hobotech.tv/blog/trail-of-the-coeur-dalenes-25-mile-electric-bike-ride-part-1/

Back