Nitro 48v battery on Neo 36v bikes.

Interesting.....I rode a Nitro Cross and compared with my Neo Carbon. The difference was negligible. Certainly not enough to warrant spending money.
Sorry "86..." I'd have to disagree on the difference in performance between the NEO Carbon and the Nitro Cross. I rode the Carbon for over a year before getting my Nitro Cross sample, and there is no comparison. The difference between PAS modes on the Nitro is significant and VERY noticeable. Add to that a 6 mph increase in top end and a 500w motor that gets you there MUCH quicker, game over.

I'd encourage anyone to do a side-by-side comparison, impressive to say the least. The only thing you give up is range. In my opinion, the Nitro is as fast as you should ever want/or need to do on an ebike, and not for the poorly skilled or faint of heart.

Sorry "86..." I'd have to disagree on the difference in performance between the NEO Carbon and the Nitro Cross. I rode the Carbon for over a year before getting my Nitro Cross sample, and there is no comparison. The difference between PAS modes on the Nitro is significant and VERY noticeable. Add to that a 6 mph increase in top end and a 500w motor that gets you there MUCH quicker, game over.

I'd encourage anyone to do a side-by-side comparison, impressive to say the least. The only thing you give up is range. In my opinion, the Nitro is as fast as you should ever want/or need to do on an ebike, and not for the poorly skilled or faint of heart.
We can agree to disagree.

UPDATE. I just received my 48V Nitro Battery. It will do about 24MPH (Shhh don't tell) in throttle only mode. And it seems to assist up to 30+mph.
I may have to find some more robust tires for this thing. 30MPH is very fast on a bicycle!
UPDATE again. My Neo-Carbon seems to be working fine with the 48v battery. There are a couple of glitches though.
1. The display acts a little weird sometimes. It flashes intermittently, and seems to be searching for the actual state of charge.
2. State of charge may not be accurate. My bike showed 1 bar of battery and then shut down.
3. The different modes don't work very accurately. i.e., Eco mode still goes very fast with lots of assist.
4. Compared to the IZip Dash, the Neo-Carbon is very flimsy at 28 MPH. Very bad speed wobble.
In closing I would say if you want a fast bike, get one that is made fast by the factory.
The Neo-Carbon is a great bike with the 36V battery. But it shows some weaknesses with the 48V.

UPDATE again. My Neo-Carbon seems to be working fine with the 48v battery. There are a couple of glitches though.
1. The display acts a little weird sometimes. It flashes intermittently, and seems to be searching for the actual state of charge.
2. State of charge may not be accurate. My bike showed 1 bar of battery and then shut down.
3. The different modes don't work very accurately. i.e., Eco mode still goes very fast with lots of assist.
4. Compared to the IZip Dash, the Neo-Carbon is very flimsy at 28 MPH. Very bad speed wobble.
In closing I would say if you want a fast bike, get one that is made fast by the factory.
The Neo-Carbon is a great bike with the 36V battery. But it shows some weaknesses with the 48V.
Thanks for the information! I wonder though if your bike is out if true or something to cause the "wobble". I generally ride my Carbon at about 24 to 26 mph, but it feels great up to 30+ on downhills with strong pedalling.

Thanks for the information! I wonder though if your bike is out if true or something to cause the "wobble". I generally ride my Carbon at about 24 to 26 mph, but it feels great up to 30+ on downhills with strong pedalling.
It wobbles hands off. Not in normal riding.
Could be out of true, or just how it's designed.

Hi,

I've just joined your community, so I can give ya'll a hint.

My supplier here in Finland accidentally noticed that when you put a BH Nitro's engine to 36V Neo Cross, Xtrem etc. it will go 45 kmh. Looks like it's the engines circuit and gearing that make it go faster. In this case battery power have no effect to the speed, but in torsion it have. That's fine by me, travel speed is more important. The bike was an Euro version of it and normally goes 25 kmh. My bike is a USA version and goes 32,5 kmh, so I don't know how fast it'll go with the new motor.

When you upgrade both, the original 350W engine to Nitro's 500W and the 36V battery to 48V, your BH Cross is practically a BH Cross Nitro. At least that was he said.

Soon I will hear the price tag on the motor and if it's not too high I'll give it a try and post here what happened.

Palli von Vaha

Last edited:
So, I wonder if an Euro BH Evo 2015/16 25km/h can be converted into an US 32km/h model just by swapping out the hub motor? I always assumed it was the controller that sets the speed, not the motor.

My experiences are consistent with 1-3. Regarding number 4, my Neo Jumper seems to be fine at 30-31 mph whether or not the suspension is locked out.

I will be more mindful of the inaccuracy of the battery meter the next time I ride, when it got to 1 bar today, I was pedaling without assistance the rest of the way home...not a problem as long as you can expect 1 bar to be the end of the battery's charge.

Update Update. Sounds like my motor might be toast. I hear grinding when the motor is functioning. Also it feels like the internal gears are jumping/skipping. I have been using the 36 Volt battery lately, but the 48 Volt battery could have weakened the gears a bit.
Has anyone had to have their motor replaced? Do you have to buy the motor and rim/spokes pre assembled? Or can you just buy the motor?

Is your motor Dapu, TDCM or other? I forget what motors Neos use. You can buy the whole rear wheel pre-assembled but it costs around $600. Dapu does sell spare cogs for the internal planetary gear, but I don't know if BH lists them as spares even for their dealers. The plastic gears would only cost a few dollars.

We've all been wondering about the serviceability of the motors, and I guess you'll be one of the first people to find out. I've said it before, but the lack of information on parts and availability with BH bikes is not good at all from a consumer standpoint. E-bikes are generally thought of as enthusiast and hobbyist bikes that people want to tinker with, but BH is going out of their way to hide their service manuals and part suppliers and sources.

Is your motor Dapu, TDCM or other? I forget what motors Neos use. You can buy the whole rear wheel pre-assembled but it costs around $600. Dapu does sell spare cogs for the internal planetary gear, but I don't know if BH lists them as spares even for their dealers. The plastic gears would only cost a few dollars.

We've all been wondering about the serviceability of the motors, and I guess you'll be one of the first people to find out. I've said it before, but the lack of information on parts and availability with BH bikes is not good at all from a consumer standpoint. E-bikes are generally thought of as enthusiast and hobbyist bikes that people want to tinker with, but BH is going out of their way to hide their service manuals and part suppliers and sources.[/QUOTE

Weirdly enough, my motor seems to be fine now. It was doing the Grindy surge thing when the battery was almost depleted. Meh, weird.

We've all been wondering about the serviceability of the motors, and I guess you'll be one of the first people to find out. I've said it before, but the lack of information on parts and availability with BH bikes is not good at all from a consumer standpoint. E-bikes are generally thought of as enthusiast and hobbyist bikes that people want to tinker with, but BH is going out of their way to hide their service manuals and part suppliers and sources.

What did you do to make your motor Work Again.
Nothing. It seems like the motor was acting really weird when the battery was almost out of juice. I'm not sure what happened, but when I put a fresh battery on it the motor seemed to work normally.
I don 't know why a low battery would make the motor seemingly "grind". No clue what happened.

Back