Newbie questions on Stromer 2018 line-up in USA

Chrille

Hello everyone,
I finally cam around to seriously consider an eBike in 2018 to change my commute (abt. 19 miles one way) in rainy Seattle. Quickly I realized that I need to spend serious money (aka >$5K) if I want to have fun with it and enjoy the ride. Stromer of course caught my attention, but I am not settled on which model yet - I am looking into buying one in Q1 2018. After watching most of the YouTube videos, I like that Stromer is updating the Omni unit next year, lowering the prices for the ST2 and ST2S (as the ST5 will be prices at the "old" ST2S price) and I understand that the ST2 is a carryon model in 2018, so no major changes. But here are some questions for this forum:
  1. Any good guesses about when the 2018 models will be available in the shops in the US?
  2. While the ST2 will not get major upgrades in 2018, I am wondering if it will get the same taillight (Supernova M99 Taillight) as the ST1X, ST2 Limited and the ST2S?
  3. Is there an easy way to change the Frontlight of the ST1X or ST2? I really like the headlight of the ST2S and it's a major security investment for me.
  4. If I decide for the ST2S - how can I put a carrier on it? Is the Stromer Racktime available as an accessory?
  5. Did anyone here switch to an suspension fork? Is it worth the cost? My commute will be road / gravel trail...
Thank you very much for any information!

Cheers from Seattle!

Any good guesses about when the 2018 models will be available in the shops in the US?

June 2018

While the ST2 will not get major upgrades in 2018, I am wondering if it will get the same taillight (Supernova M99 Taillight) as the ST1X, ST2 Limited and the ST2S?
Yes

Is there an easy way to change the Frontlight of the ST1X or ST2? I really like the headlight of the ST2S and it's a major security investment for me.

ST2 in 2018 will come with Supernova M99 mini lights.

If I decide for the ST2S - how can I put a carrier on it? Is the Stromer Racktime available as an accessory?

Since May 2017, Stromer made a running change and all current ST2-S comes with rear rack installed. See pics posted by @fxr3 in previous threads.

Did anyone here switch to an suspension fork? Is it worth the cost? My commute will be road / gravel trail...

Yes, many have done it. @fxr3 , @Rincon @Leon Washington . If your commute has rough roads, it may be worthwhile.

Thank you very much!

Are you sure that all 2018 models with the updated Omni will only be on the market in June? I saw that the ST5 will be available in June, but even the ST2 Limited or the ST1X? Seems very late, as other companies (like Specialized) launch their 2018 lineup in late 2017 or early 2018. I was hoping I could get an updated ST2 in Q1...

Do you know if there are any changes to the ST2S, apart from the Omi update?

So that means that the 2018 bike, except for the ST5, will be in Market in the US in April? That would be perfect?

I think it’s a leftover(from hardcore street bikers) mindset that suspension soaks up pedal power.
But when you’re offsetting with electric, and maintaining 28mph, it’s a great improvement.

I think the biggest bang for the buck may still be the ST2? I am conjecturing that those models without the new Omni interface will go on sale. I have been riding mine for 2 years now and you are absolutely smart to invest in a "good" bike for your commuting needs. The headlight fork issues raise valid and good points. I try not to ride much at night, so the light is not as important as it might be if I did. I always ride with full lighting and it has been a life-saver in a couple of instances with either cars coming out of driveway or someone opening a car door, mostly in city traffic. I added Brooks saddle and seat post suspension but think if I were riding much gravel would consider front shock. The carbon fork helps a bit, though probably marginally on trail/gravel. The biggest difference by far in their model line is the electronic shifting and I would opt for that in a Seattle minute. (and I also would make sure there are Schwalbe tubes in those tires)

I agree, that the ST2 is great and even more so with the upcoming price decrease of 500$. Last weekend I rode the Specialized Vado and an ST2S. The Specialized can't hold up to the ST2S, but of course the ST2S is twice as expensive.
What was most impressive though is the Di2. I have one on my Roadbike and I absolutely love it. The fact that it's great for maintenance (I mean less maintenance necessary) in combination with the front light for security is outstanding. I agree that investing in a great but for computing is a wise choice (to whatever degree everyone is ok with) and I know myself: if I save money in the beginning, I'll end up spending more later. With the decrease to 8,999, it's certainly not cheap, but better.
I also learned that Stromer will give you the Omni upgrade for free if you buy now. Let's see if I can get this in written from the store.
Which seat post did you get?

Last edited:
Chrille...thanks for the update on the ST2S...if you can get the new Omni upgrade included at that price; it seems like a great buy. I wanted to upgrade this year but decide to wait until 2018. Given the brakes, battery, and shifting, and lights it would not even be a contest with a $500 break on current ST 2's. Where is the shop in question and let me know on the Omni upgrade...if it is a part of the reduced price...thank you and best of luck on your purchase. Footnote: I was happy to hear of your comments on the Vado. I have a Specialized turbo-levo fattie that I like for bad weather and off road and have wondered how the Vado 6 might compare to the Stromer...love my Stromer and will look to upgrade soon.

oops...missed your query regarding seat post suspension...I have a Cirrus and it seems quite good; plenty of adjustment to suit your riding...and definitely helps.

Back