Hi from NZ

Vintagestudentbiker

Region
New Zealand
Hi,

I am Sheena from NZ aka vintagestudentbiker! I have not done much cycling since 2017 when I was part of a team for a half Ironman doing the bike section. I am not a natural Cyclist so this took a heap of courage, I had a panic attack getting on my first road bike. Drop handlebars suck, and my hybrid trail bike is not much better! Haven’t been on a bike much since then, was burnt out with full cognitive deficiencies and major depression. I have returned to study after about 35 years of being an accountant and now hoping to progress to a PhD in psychology.

Hoping to invest in an e-bike for my daily commute…so will be asking questions lower down the forum.

Nice to “meet” you all

Welcome!
1698009956902.jpeg

Welcome to the site & low carbon commuting.
I never had the courage to get on a drop handlebar flat back bicycle. My current bike is a 24 speed electrified version of the first 26" cruiser bike I was given on Christmas 1961. One with book bags that work, instead of the beautiful decorative leather front (cardboard back) ones my parents bought me. Wait 68 years, get it right!

Welcome aboard! The beauty of a torque-sensing ebike — one that just amplifies your own effort to varying degrees — is that you can dial in the exertion you want on the fly. If you happen to get nostalgic for your Ironman experience someday, you can also turn the power off.
;^}

The bicycle is the greatest joy machine ever invented. An ebike with well-implemented, natural-feeling pedal assist only makes it better.

Last edited:
I had a panic attack getting on my first road bike. Drop handlebars suck, and my hybrid trail bike is not much better!
I rode a road bike last week. To me it felt highly unstable and uncomfortable even at low speeds. In my 20's I rode them every day and at high speeds. I recently made three comfortable commuter bikes. They have 190mm wide tires on 650b rims (27.5x2.35). The geometry is lax and they have a upright riding position, fenders, racks and panniers. I went for practicality with a simple wide range 1x9-speed drivetrain and easy to adjust, simple mechanical discs. Here is one of them just before I finished all the details. I used a stem riser and a curved back comfort bar. The bikes have a long wheel base, are very stable and comfortable at high speeds.
Here is the starter bike from an AU based company. https://www.bikesonline.com.au/marin-stinson-2-st-beach-cruise

Attachments

• Stinson 2 S-Through B.jpg
    Stinson 2 S-Through B.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Marin eStinson 2.jpg
    Marin eStinson 2.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 81
Back