Newbie in Tampa Bay

iBikeDiane

Hi all, I just bought my first electric! Recovering from major health issues and quite depleted. I wanted a foldable I could easily transport in my small car, maybe ride out for lunch from work, finally be able to ride our beautiful rail trails, nearby errands, getting around without car, etc.

Was aware of electric bikes, but didn't think I could afford one until I recently started researching. Things have really changed!

I'm petite, and went with the Metro XT from ridegenesis.com. With 30-day return and 6-month warranty, and an unbeatable price (plus free US shipping) for the impressive specs, I figured I couldn't go wrong! It looks like a standard frame that they are adapting for their own branding, but maybe some brand confusion with the Prodeco Genesis.

I'll post an update next week once received and tested...

Glad you decided to get an ebike Diane; think you'll find it a fun way to feel better. Looking forward to hearing about your Metro XT once it arrives.

I posted a follow-up on another thread. The battery was bad, but the customer service (in the US) is very helpful and we're set up for exchange. I don't have much hope for it ever being a great battery, but it is a solid bike and folds and unfolds easily, locking securely. I'm so freaking excited! They're a small company but seem to be ok so far. Thank you! I'll post pics soon and keep y'all posted on performance!

Hi, Diane I recently saw a link to RideGenesis:
https://ridegenesis.com/collections/electric-bicycles/products/crosstown-hybrid-electric-bike-nero
Prices seem unbelievably low. I did note that battery capacity was very low at 6.6Ah and 7.8Ah, but the Black Friday price ($799) on the Crosstown and Mountaineer models are alluring.
Genesis_Desktop_CompareChart_Bike.jpg

I am thinking they got a good wholesale deal on the XT, which are solid, but the batteries are the weak link. I'm ok with a less powerful battery, but I just want one that works! In fact, it's probably best if I don't have too much power. That's generally the way with humans ;)

Right now, they are on sale for $599, so I pulled the trigger. Customer service is very helpful, just a bit slower than I would prefer. I think they are stretched thin with the big sale. I am a patient person...

I am thinking they got a good wholesale deal on the XT, which are solid, but the batteries are the weak link. I'm ok with a less powerful battery, but I just want one that works! In fact, it's probably best if I don't have too much power. That's generally the way with humans ;)

Right now, they are on sale for $599, so I pulled the trigger. Customer service is very helpful, just a bit slower than I would prefer. I think they are stretched thin with the big sale. I am a patient person...

Slow customer service and bad batteries. You get what you pay for! Next issue you should anticipate is no parts support at all. Or, you wait for parts shipping from China on the slow boat. They are not be the first supplier to unload low grade electric bikes in the USA.

A major power consideration with batteries is capacity. Battery capacity is stated as "Ah", (Amp hours like the 6.6Ah and 7.8Ah), and is a limiting factor for determining how far you can travel between a recharge.

I personally like to stick with a name brand with a history of building quality bikes (ie: BH Easy Motion, Trek, Bulls, Specialized, Felt etc.) More bang for your buck and you get what you pay for, Spend a little more and you can get a more reliable product. If it is not affordable, look for demos or slightly used to bring the prices in a more inexpensive range IMHO. Good Luck with the new purchase.

Yay! All is well! The batteries are FINE. But when I contacted the CS and stated that the LED did not stay lit on the battery, I was told the bike needed to be sent back. Turns out it was a miscommunication. The LED light apparently is not supposed to stay on. If they had told me that earlier in the week, it would have saved us all a lot of time, energy and stress.

The real lesson is that I should have kept my mouth shut here before I started yammering about bad batteries and such. I am VERY happy with the way it rides, and it is a little scary at first, so I won't be out in traffic any time too soon!

Back