Newb, debating ebike options for hills, trails

My $0.02.
To the OP - it sounds like you are in the market for what I would call a "compromise bike".

In my personal, yet limited experience, that's a Hard Tail MTB (as recommended by others too).
They are a bit cheaper yet still very capable and with judicious tweaking can be a great allrounder type of bike.
If you do things like adding a dropper seat post (if not stock), riser handlebar/stems, allrounder tires like Schwalbe Johnny Watts (example) you can have a bike that can virtually do it all - comfortably.

I am speaking from experience as someone who was going to buy a Vado, but serendipity stepped in and I changed lanes into a HT MTB instead.
That bike, a Giant, is actually on sale (it's listed on EBR too) as after a year I found that I was riding trails most of the time, rather than a balance of pavement/dirt.

I have since moved to a FS bike - a Liv Intrigue, but that would be over your stated budget.
We're similar ages, but my balance sucks and on some of the more technical trails I like to ride, that little extra smoothness assists my control.
I have 3 friends who've all gone the Hard Tail route as well - they are mainly pathway riders who, like myself, wanted to head off into more challenging terrain, but unlike myself, only occasionally.

The bikes I am referring to in my "bike gang" are :
  • Giant Fathom E+1 Pro(my old bike - listed for reference)
  • Liv Vall-E Pro
  • Trek Powerfly 4
  • IGO Core Edge (hub drive bike - not bad at all) This one has a throttle - the others don't.
Best of luck in your search for the bike to fit your requirements - hopefully, whatever you can acquire will meet your expectations.

Thanks. The more I ponder it and read up, the less inclined I am to attempt such a trail again. It would probably be a 'once in a blue moon' event of stumbling into the situation unaware and having some powerful reason to push on through the rough terrain. So I'm not going to look for full suspension. Front suspension, yes. Suspension seatpost, yes.

At the moment I'm leaning away from a conversion.

Mid drives... I keep looking at the Ride1Up Prodigy XC (Brose). It ticks nearly all the boxes. When I rode the Serfas eDash Plus (Bafang) at the LBS I liked how it performed and probably would consider it a top candidate... but the Prodigy XC appears to have equal or better components, is about 10 lb lighter, and $600 less, all of which make it look better. Too bad there's no way to try one out beforehand. Then there's the question of repairs, and I need to check around to see if anyone will work with Brose system electronics should it need repair or replacement. Bafangs are more "common" and most ebike shops probably are capable of working with them, but I suspect that a lot of the mechanics might be unfamiliar with a Brose unless the store sells them, right?

The LBS where I tried out the Serfas told me straight up that they won't service a bike purchased elsewhere. That is their right. I understand the reasoning (wanting to discourage loss of sales to internet companies), and yet in a way I feel off-put and wondering if I would want to deal with a LBS where the store manager says flat out, "If you buy a bike elsewhere, you can take your bike elsewhere for repairs." On several occasions I have either transported or pedaled my Trek into the LBS closest to my house (a Jamis dealer ~3 miles away) and they've always been very gracious about doing whatever I needed done, and seemed glad to have the business. But they're not much into ebikes; all they had on display at last check was a lone Aventon Sinch.

This dumb sh#t :) runs into up hill stops regularly when riding in a hilly area. Much preferred to getting run over....

Welcome to the controversy! You do make a good point about loosing some choices (I'll give you that willingly!), but as those choices almost always use proprietary parts, and I prefer to do my own work exclusivly, without having to screw with a shop, they were not in the running for me anyway. 😁

I doubt you'll ever hear me say you MUST have a throttle. I'd much rather see you out riding something without a throttle than see you sitting on the couch. I do realize some will always choose to have a shop do their bike work too. I get that. Doesn't make them outlaws or anything. When I go off on my throttles are great tangent, I'm really intending to speak to those that have more of a choice in the matter, where throttles ARE an option.

You don't NEED an automatic transmission or power windows in a car either, but you seldom see one without. Early on, when those devices were first introduced, I'm sure there were some hard cores that swore off them too....

I had to look up "vitriol". I don't see my throttle comments as "cruel" at all. They are meant to expose people to the option, and supply counter points when comments regarding "throttles aren't necessary" are made.

In the end, I don't care which option you go with, as long as you made the choice fully informed, with no BS involved.... -Al
Learned to drive with stick shifts (on the steering column--the worst kind) and only 3 speeds. Have avoided automatics all my life whenever possible. I never had to replace a standard transmission, but have seen many situations where an automatic had to be rebuilt or replaced, and not cheaply, either. Admittedly, I've had to do work on clutches from time to time.

As for power windows, they're great as long as they work. When they don't, and you get caught out in the rain, they suck. All of which has nothing to do with throttles.

You make a good point with your question. I ask myself that. How badly do I want to ride trails? Personally, it isn't about the trail riding so much as the scenery and the exploring: seeing what's along and at the end of the trail. I'd prefer that every trail be smooth and easy! Every once in a while in my travels to national and state parks and forests, BLM land, etc, I might be near a trail that sounds like fun and want to travel it. That's how I wound up on the Alpine Tunnel trail in the photo: camping in Buena Vista and looking for interesting things to do in the area. A trail that leads to an old RR tunnel sounded cool, and 5.5 miles round trip was a distance I'd rather traverse on 2 wheels than on foot, so off I went. Only, in hindsight the trail turned out to be quite rough in several spots (maybe 1/5 of it was uneven like this, but most of it was reasonably smooth dirt/gravel). Hindsight is always 20/10 though; looking back, the views along the trail were nice, but the tunnel mouth had caved in long ago so there was nothing worth seeing at the end of the trail.

I guess I'd be on much easier surfaces 95% of the time or more. So I have to decide whether 'being fully prepared to handle the other 4-5%' is worth the extra money, the extra bike weight, etc. I guess it probably isn't. If I see something like this in the future, I have to ask myself: is it time to turn around, or do I accept the potential risks and consequences of traversing this terrain with the equipment I have? 🤔
I went through sorta the same steps your taking. But decided never having an ebike that it would hard to really nail down where I'm going to ride. So I decided full suspension etmb was the only option. Will I ever push the bike to it's limits highly unlikely but that bike will open up a world of trail riding I wouldn't enjoy as much without FS. Budget started at 3K used no dice there, upped it 5K than found that a good quality used emtb for 5K was pretty hard to find. So ended up with a brand new emtb FS, 29" tires & 750w battery class 1 bike. Cost me 6.5K way more than I wanted to spend but YOLO and at 64 years old I'm running out of time ! Money comes & go's time just go's. I guess what I'm saying is find what you really really like & makes you smile. If it's not transportation than it's a toy so don't feel bad throwing practicality to the wind. Good luck in your search !

Last night I pedaled one of the nearby multi-use paved paths alongside the expressway with my Trek Pure Sport, and went farther than usual. I hit a couple of hills that had me in granny gear. As I wobbled slowly up the hill I kept thinking, this would be a breeze with an ebike!! Was I ever tired and sweaty 🥵 when I finished the ride... and determined to buy something. 😓

After considerable thought, today I placed an order for a Ride1Up LMT'D ST (sand brown). I strongly considered the Prodigy but decided I'd really sometimes prefer to use a throttle for a little while, and the Prodigy doesn't have one. But on my test rides (of other ebikes) I appreciated the torque sensor vs cadence. A YT video showed that the LMT'D is quite capable at climbing hills, and I think its hub drive will suffice for 99% of the riding I'd want to do. Since cost is an object ;) around our house, coming in under 2 grand is a big plus. For an ebike that doesn't weigh 70 or 80 lbs but has plenty of grunt, a decent capacity Samsung battery, air fork, torque sensor, throttle, and fairly upright sitting position, I didn't see anything else close to the same price. Even having my existing bike modded would come within a few hundred of this amount, and it would still lack a suspension fork and disc hydraulic brakes, so why bother.

I might accessorize it with an articulating stem and a suspension seatpost.

After watching the assembly video, I ordered a Park spline tool from Amazon for assembling the crank. None of it looked too complex.

Maybe by next weekend I'll be pedaling up those same hills in 5th or 6th gear! :D

Last night I pedaled one of the nearby multi-use paved paths alongside the expressway with my Trek Pure Sport, and went farther than usual. I hit a couple of hills that had me in granny gear. As I wobbled slowly up the hill I kept thinking, this would be a breeze with an ebike!! Was I ever tired and sweaty 🥵 when I finished the ride... and determined to buy something. 😓

After considerable thought, today I placed an order for a Ride1Up LMT'D ST (sand brown). I strongly considered the Prodigy but decided I'd really sometimes prefer to use a throttle for a little while, and the Prodigy doesn't have one. But on my test rides (of other ebikes) I appreciated the torque sensor vs cadence. A YT video showed that the LMT'D is quite capable at climbing hills, and I think its hub drive will suffice for 99% of the riding I'd want to do. Since cost is an object ;) around our house, coming in under 2 grand is a big plus. For an ebike that doesn't weigh 70 or 80 lbs but has plenty of grunt, a decent capacity Samsung battery, air fork, torque sensor, throttle, and fairly upright sitting position, I didn't see anything else close to the same price. Even having my existing bike modded would come within a few hundred of this amount, and it would still lack a suspension fork and disc hydraulic brakes, so why bother.

I might accessorize it with an articulating stem and a suspension seatpost.

After watching the assembly video, I ordered a Park spline tool from Amazon for assembling the crank. None of it looked too complex.

Maybe by next weekend I'll be pedaling up those same hills in 5th or 6th gear! :D
So glad you found the right bike for you! Happy riding!!!

The Ride1Up LMT'D arrived today via FedEx (the driver carried the box over one shoulder, the showoff!). Assembly proceeded well. The derailleur seems to be properly adjusted straight out of the box. The battery showed pretty much a full charge, too. So I took it on a 13 mile ride on the aforementioned MUP complete with hills, using mostly PAS 1 on the way out and mostly PAS 2 (plus some throttle) on the way back. Battery read 46.8V upon return. It shifted great, the torque sensor worked as it should (although response time was a bit slow so I'll adjust that in the screen tomorrow). and it was a pleasant ride. The different geometry took some getting used to, of course, and the 1/2" wider tires handle differently. The motor is rather noisy, but I'll live. Two negatives: I'm not impressed by the seat, and the handlebars are way too low. I need to figure out how much of a riser the cables can handle.

Last edited:
IMG_1278.JPG

The Ride1Up LMT'D arrived today via FedEx (the driver carried the box over one shoulder, the showoff!). Assembly proceeded well. The derailleur seems to be properly adjusted straight out of the box. The battery showed pretty much a full charge, too. So I took it on a 13 mile ride on the aforementioned MUP complete with hills, using mostly PAS 1 on the way out and mostly PAS 2 (plus some throttle) on the way back. Battery read 46.8V upon return. It shifted great, the torque sensor worked as it should (although response time was a bit slow so I'll adjust that in the screen tomorrow). and it was a pleasant ride. The different geometry took some getting used to, of course, and the 1/2" wider tires handle differently. The motor is rather noisy, but I'll live. Two negatives: I'm not impressed by the seat, and the handlebars are way too low. I need to figure out how much of a riser the cables can handle.
Looks like you made the best decision for YOU and that is what counts. Going into retirement can be pretty weird for sure especially if you have a fixed income. Being that I was Military and really never had the chance to build a retirement account of my own, it shackles my spending. But, I am pretty tight with my money. I am glad people can buy the Big Box branded E-MTB’s. I am sure there are some great bikes out there and I’ve seen amazing things done on rides with them. But at 66 years old, retired for 6 years after a brain tumor took me off bikes for awhile, there is NO WAY I’m getting back on an MTB of any type and doing what I used to do. Dang, I’d take a fall and be able to tuck and roll and come out of it no problem with my 29R that weighs in at 24 LBS. Add 10-30 lbs and that bike now becomes something that can do great damage to itself and myself.

On the handle bars, cable and cord length can be an issue. A different style bar might help, or a stem with different rise or length. Just be careful you don’t take things too far and over extend the cables because that can cause issues with loose connections and the like.

You made a comment about one of your LBS not working on e-Bikes not sold by his shop. It’s his loss I feel. Anytime you turn away a customer, you take money out of your own pocket.

Good Luck with your new ride and keep on riding!

Looks like you made the best decision for YOU and that is what counts. Going into retirement can be pretty weird for sure especially if you have a fixed income. Being that I was Military and really never had the chance to build a retirement account of my own, it shackles my spending. But, I am pretty tight with my money. I am glad people can buy the Big Box branded E-MTB’s. I am sure there are some great bikes out there and I’ve seen amazing things done on rides with them. But at 66 years old, retired for 6 years after a brain tumor took me off bikes for awhile, there is NO WAY I’m getting back on an MTB of any type and doing what I used to do. Dang, I’d take a fall and be able to tuck and roll and come out of it no problem with my 29R that weighs in at 24 LBS. Add 10-30 lbs and that bike now becomes something that can do great damage to itself and myself.

On the handle bars, cable and cord length can be an issue. A different style bar might help, or a stem with different rise or length. Just be careful you don’t take things too far and over extend the cables because that can cause issues with loose connections and the like.

You made a comment about one of your LBS not working on e-Bikes not sold by his shop. It’s his loss I feel. Anytime you turn away a customer, you take money out of your own pocket.

Judging by the photo, looks like there is at least some cable slack that you can work with. My reason for preferring the upright position is that my wrists and hands used to go numb and get painful from putting weight on them.

Thanks! Yeah, no retirement account for me, either. A piddling little IRA, so my retirement plan is Social InSecurity... wish us all luck with solvency! But I'm still working for at least another 2-3 years (more likely 7 or 8) so my income isn't yet "fixed."

I have a couple of things inbound from Amazon and will see which one I can use. One is a stem extension of about 2.5 inches and I'm sure it will work, the other would raise the bar more (which would be preferred) but it might be too much.

Judging by the photo, looks like there is at least some cable slack that you can work with. My reason for preferring the upright position is that my wrists and hands used to go numb and get painful from putting weight on them.
Exactly. My wrists didn't feel good after riding in that position. Honestly, the perfect ebike for me would have been the features of this Ride1Up Limited with the frame style of an Electra Townie. No such beast exists AFAIK, though.

Exactly. My wrists didn't feel good after riding in that position. Honestly, the perfect ebike for me would have been the features of this Ride1Up Limited with the frame style of an Electra Townie. No such beast exists AFAIK, though.
Well, there is an electric Townie--but I don't know how features compare.

Well, there is an electric Townie--but I don't know how features compare.
I had looked at them, definitely. Priced a little higher than the Limited, the Electra Townie Go 7D gives up the suspension fork, the throttle, and half the battery capacity. Also a 36V 40nm hub versus the Limited's 48V 100nm hub. Mechanical versus hydraulic brakes. Townie is about 7 lb lighter weight, though.

Thanks! Yeah, no retirement account for me, either. A piddling little IRA, so my retirement plan is Social InSecurity... wish us all luck with solvency! But I'm still working for at least another 2-3 years (more likely 7 or 8) so my income isn't yet "fixed."

I have a couple of things inbound from Amazon and will see which one I can use. One is a stem extension of about 2.5 inches and I'm sure it will work, the other would raise the bar more (which would be preferred) but it might be too much.
With just a very modest 401, I was a little concerned as well. 10 years into it now, watching where my dollars were going carefully has paid off. We're fine. No new cars every year or anything like that, but pretty comfortable. That's not why I'm writing though.

New bike here this past week as well. I prefer an up right riding position to get the load off my arms and wrists as well. This is what I used (on my last bike as well).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X3LHMD1?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It's a little over 4" (4.33) standing straight up, and the front brake line would limit the use of anything any taller. Works great for me!

With just a very modest 401, I was a little concerned as well. 10 years into it now, watching where my dollars were going carefully has paid off. We're fine. No new cars every year or anything like that, but pretty comfortable. That's not why I'm writing though.

New bike here this past week as well. I prefer an up right riding position to get the load off my arms and wrists as well. This is what I used (on my last bike as well).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X3LHMD1?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It's a little over 4" (4.33) standing straight up, and the front brake line would limit the use of anything any taller. Works great for me!
Yup, I drive a 2008 and my wife still likes her 2000 model suv.

That stem looks almost identical to the one I got. Mine's a "Qikour". It came around suppertime and I installed it. What a great improvement!
IMG_1279.JPG

Now to find a decent seat. Need something wider. Never heard of "Freeway" saddles, and I wish I'd never felt one....
IMG_1280.JPG

I went through a LOT of seats a while back looking for something I could live with. Settled on a Cloud 9 (C9), but not just any C9 (there are actually several models!). I go with the Lycra covered and ventilated model. No more messing around for me. Like this one:

Then after going back and forth with the Thudbuster Lt's, I set it on one of these:

And because of my largish butt (315lbs) I swap the standard spring for one of these:

Works awesome.....

Now to find a decent seat. Need something wider. Never heard of "Freeway" saddles, and I wish I'd never felt one....
View attachment 131991
Oh the search for the perfect saddle! That is ALWAYS a matter of personal preference but there are some good one’s out there. Myself, I see another Brooks Leather Flyer Special Saddle for my next Bike. Of course I may just swap it off from one of my existing bikes too. But my Love of Brooks Leather just means I’m old fashioned when it comes to these things!

Back